Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

70 Square 'Papa Smurf'
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the type 4 goes, 1910 (96 mm X 66 mm) or 2056 (96 mm x 71 mm)?

If I have to put a lot of work into the 66 mm crank and rods, I might as well just find a good used set of 71 mm crank and rods and go from there. I will be sticking with the 1.8 bus heads (I still need to locate another). Just looking for some input. The thread I have over in Performance seems to have lost steam.

I'm just looking for advantages and disadvantages of each. I am a noob to the ole type 4 world.
My Old 70 Squareback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to adjust your steering box, you can use an oil pressure switch. it will fit right into the allen hole, then you can turn it with a big crescent wrench or the like... FWIW.

I just posted on your motor thread in the 'performance/engines' forum.
Really good info there IMHO.
Some of those guys that posted there really know their stuff and have a lot of experience.
Might be worth a re-read or two when it comes time for to pick a cam.

And, there's always this... more than you could ever read about the type 4.
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.php?f=1

It all depends upon your budget and time/ambition level.

My strategy is to dig up as many junk motors and core engines as I can.
Type 4s that weren't in busses can have all good parts that just need cleaned and assembled.. Seriously!
The last one, I even re-used the main bearings, and why not? they were fine.
It even had a Web 86 and some perfect OG Johnson lifters too.
Found it under a tree for $50...

If you found a set of 72-74 bus heater boxes and all of the tins, that was a score and hard to find. There are other scores out there for you.

Get your beetle motor in and running and enjoy your car. there's always plenty to do.
Take you time, keep an eye out, and you will find some (good) type 4 motor parts for super cheap, I promise....

What’s That Noise?!?
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
If you want to adjust your steering box, you can use an oil pressure switch. it will fit right into the allen hole, then you can turn it with a big crescent wrench or the like... FWIW.

I love tips like this. Thank you.

Quote:
I just posted on your motor thread in the 'performance/engines' forum.
Really good info there IMHO.
Some of those guys that posted there really know their stuff and have a lot of experience.
Might be worth a re-read or two when it comes time for to pick a cam.

And, there's always this... more than you could ever read about the type 4.
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.php?f=1

I have a thread going over there too. It is a little slow moving for my taste, so I tend to threads on both sites. Let's just say I have a lot of free time at work.

Quote:

It all depends upon your budget and time/ambition level.

My strategy is to dig up as many junk motors and core engines as I can.
Type 4s that weren't in busses can have all good parts that just need cleaned and assembled.. Seriously!
The last one, I even re-used the main bearings, and why not? they were fine.
It even had a Web 86 and some perfect OG Johnson lifters too.
Found it under a tree for $50...

If you found a set of 72-74 bus heater boxes and all of the tins, that was a score and hard to find. There are other scores out there for you.

Get your beetle motor in and running and enjoy your car. there's always plenty to do.
Take you time, keep an eye out, and you will find some (good) type 4 motor parts for super cheap, I promise....

That is the plan right now. It is my nice-weather daily. The only issue I have right now is hot park heat soak. I am getting that one better and better each day.

Thanks again for the tips between all the threads I have going. I find you can reach a whole different group of people depending on which area of the forum you post.
My Old 70 Squareback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say a bore of 96mm, are you going to bore out the stock cylinders, or get new ones? Getting multiple engines is a very god idea. I started with a 2L that was running and a 1700 that was for parts. However after I tore down both, the 1700 had a new case and the heads were in better shape, so I actually used just as many parts, if not more from the 1700 than the 2L.

Also, when you get close to doing the conversion. Bolt together an empty engine (Case, Block Heads, manifolds, carbs) and use it to make your motor mounts. It is a lot safer and easier to do with the weight cut in half. Plus if you plan on using some form of mid mount like I did, I would highly recommend that you use helicoils or timeserts in the transmission mounting threads. The metal is soft
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
When you say a bore of 96mm, are you going to bore out the stock cylinders, or get new ones? Getting multiple engines is a very god idea. I started with a 2L that was running and a 1700 that was for parts. However after I tore down both, the 1700 had a new case and the heads were in better shape, so I actually used just as many parts, if not more from the 1700 than the 2L.

Also, when you get close to doing the conversion. Bolt together an empty engine (Case, Block Heads, manifolds, carbs) and use it to make your motor mounts. It is a lot safer and easier to do with the weight cut in half. Plus if you plan on using some form of mid mount like I did, I would highly recommend that you use helicoils or timeserts in the transmission mounting threads. The metal is soft

As far as the 96 mm, I am going new. I have a PM to someone on the site that has offered me a 15 year old set of NPR 96's that he has had sitting on his shelf. Never used. I do not know much about them yet.

As far as engine mounting, we are on the same page as far as mocking up before final assembly. My brother and I are going to figure something out before we get to the final install phase. That might be a few months off though.
My Old 70 Squareback
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to go ahead and finish up the fuel pump installed today. Went ahead and installed the inertia switch to turn off the power to the fuel pump in the case of a wreck. Everything went as planned. I put a picture up so if anyone else is installing one of these I can have an idea of where I put mine. You can see the power wire that I had ran to the fuel pump coming out of the firewall, running to the switch and then heading down to the for fuel pump thAt is mounted to the front beam.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My Old 70 Squareback
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to go ahead and put the Dell 40's on the stock dual port for now. I am in a toss-up between 28 and 30 mm venturi. What do you guys think?

I think either might work, but I don't know which would be the easiest to tune?
My Old 70 Squareback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with the 28s the 30s are on the big side for a 1600
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:

Do you think the 30's could be used on the type 4, 2056 once I get it done? I was leaning towards 30's because of maybe being able to use them in both applications. 30's in the 2056 might provide the low end torque I need with the automatic.
My Old 70 Squareback
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:

On second thought, I think the 28's should be the ones for a stock 1600. I am about to hit the order button. Wink

So.....

Venturi 28 mm (thanks Modok)
Mains 115
Idle ?
Airs ?

Remember, this is all at 6300' elevation.
My Old 70 Squareback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one4house wrote:
Multi69s wrote:

On second thought, I think the 28's should be the ones for a stock 1600. I am about to hit the order button. Wink

So.....

Venturi 28 mm (thanks Modok)
Mains 115
Idle ?
Airs ?

Remember, this is all at 6300' elevation.

I'd ask John at Aircooled.net, and see what he recommends for jetting.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on what cam you are planning on running in your T4 build, the 28mm venturis should work fine for it also. Of course you will have to re-jet when you swap them to the T4, but the smaller the venturi, the more low end you will have. I am running dual webers ICTs on my T4 and it is a stump puller
My builds
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lipstick, meet pig.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Laughing
My Old 70 Squareback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, do the new carbs play nice with the AT?
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="one4house"]
Bobnotch wrote:
So, do the new carbs play nice with the AT?

Somewhat. I am still trying to get that sorted out. With the 34 ict's I had a balance tube running between the two manifolds. This one I decided to go with a single barb drilled into the #1 cylinder of the passenger side manifold. These carbs definitely have a different vacuum signal.

It still shifts into 2nd too early and doesn't want to shift into third. Now it REALLY doesn't want to shift into third. Last night I pulled the vacuum module off and put an 1/8" washer behind to shim the module. I still have some of the adjustment screw to go, but I figured the shim would have the same effect. I think I was wrong with that. It also likes to downshift into 2nd gear as you slow to a stop. It did not do that with the other setup, and I do not like it at all. I think that would add some unnecessary wear and tear.

This morning I had to tear the carbs down and redo the venturi. The CB venturi are not marked at the top like the originals. I had the venturi in upside down. I have been messing with that this morning. I will get the shifting figured out in due time.

On first run, with the venturi in correct and a new tune, it was still a lot lean in the idle jet. Right now I do not have another set of idles close enough to try and correct it. I dealing with a pretty extreme bog till it transfers to the main jets. Once I am above 2500 or so RPM it runs nice. I just need some bigger idles.
My Old 70 Squareback
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far so good. I am still in the tuning phase. I am waiting on a set of pump jets and the 4th 55 idle jet. My local guy only had 3 55's on hand.

One thing that I can report, with very little data gathered, is that my mileage has increased quite a bit. I was averaging 18.5 mpg over the last few months with the 34 ICT's. This is city driving.

The first two tanks I have figured with the DRLA's have been 19.5 mpg with the wrong idle jets. And today I got 22.5 mpg. The more I tune the better it will get. I might put the LM1 on it for final tuning. I haven't decided yet. I am having fun doing it the hard way. Smile
My Old 70 Squareback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one4house wrote:
So far so good. I am still in the tuning phase. I am waiting on a set of pump jets and the 4th 55 idle jet. My local guy only had 3 55's on hand.

One thing that I can report, with very little data gathered, is that my mileage has increased quite a bit. I was averaging 18.5 mpg over the last few months with the 34 ICT's. This is city driving.

The first two tanks I have figured with the DRLA's have been 19.5 mpg with the wrong idle jets. And today I got 22.5 mpg. The more I tune the better it will get. I might put the LM1 on it for final tuning. I haven't decided yet. I am having fun doing it the hard way. Smile

Keep in mind that with the FI and AT, you would only get between 22 and 24 with city driving. Shocked It's out on the highway or country lanes where they get their best mileage, as you're not doing a lot of stop-starting. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Keep in mind that with the FI and AT, you would only get between 22 and 24 with city driving. Shocked It's out on the highway or country lanes where they get their best mileage, as you're not doing a lot of stop-starting. Wink

Yep. That's exactly what I get. In highway driving I get 26-27.
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
one4house wrote:

I know. That is why I said "with very little data collected." We will see where it really falls with a few more tanks and me finishing the tune. I am waiting on jets still.

It is a positive sign though.
My Old 70 Squareback
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

Yep. That's exactly what I get. In highway driving I get 26-27.

Once I get the tune where I want it, I will make a trip to Denver and back to hang out with my brother. That is usually my "highway mileage" test. There is a lot of elevation change between here and there. It puts the engine and tune to the test.
My Old 70 Squareback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: