Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

70 Square 'Papa Smurf'
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I finally got my jets from CB. man, that place is slow with shipping.......anyway.

New pump jets definitely helped. I still think that the driver's side carb is pumping a little weak. While thinking about taking the carb off I noticed that my rear main seal leak is getting worse, so out with the engine. This makes it easier to get to the carb and replace the seal.

You have to love a car that you can pull the engine in about a hour.

While I have the engine out I am going to tear down the passenger side carb to make sure I don't have a clogged accelerator pump. When I rebuilt these carbs, there was an awful lot of crap in them. I am just going to double check everything.

I am also going to replace the rear main seal. When I had the engine out last time I thought all of the leaks were transmission related. I was wrong. I should have it back in a running this evening. I love simple cars.
My Old 70 Squareback
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a bit since I have updated. I have a few good things to report. I finally have a couple of issues dealt with that have been driving me CRAZY! The first one was a rear main oil leak.

About 3 weeks ago I dropped the engine one day and replace the rear main crankshaft seal. Threw the engine back in and it leaked just like it did before. WTF? Come to find out there is a flex plate o-ring that I didn't know about. In keeping up with my tradition of doing everything twice, I had to drop the engine again last week. I am finally leak free. It is a good feeling.

I had also been chasing the correct blinker switch for my one-year-only Squareback. I knew where one was, but it did not look to be in all that good of shape. I finally decided to go ahead and pick it up and give it a try.

Come to find out it was exactly what I needed. It was also repairable. I was even able to pick up the wire guide and the plug that were missing from my car for it. Best of all, I got it for FREE. You have to love having a good relationship with your local junk yard.

I am still chasing a shifting issue with my automatic. Seems my car does not like the vacuum signal off of the DRLA's that I added. This week I am getting an extra set of shorty manifolds. I am going to take the time to drill and tap all 4 ports, put in a balance tube and T it for the shift module. I am going to see if a better vacuum signal might help the shift from 2nd to 3rd. Right now it will only shift into 3rd if I let completely off the gas and trick it to do so.

As always, there is something to work on with these old bitches. At least I am getting things marked off the list. It is real nice to finally have me some blinkah!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My Old 70 Squareback
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been having some shifting irregularities since I switched over to the DRLA's. Most of that is attributed to the fact that I only drilled and tapped one cylinder for a vacuum signal to my automatic transmission. This left me with a very erratic signal that did not jive with the transmission.

In this first picture, you can get a feel for what I wanted to do. I could not think of a way to get this to work,.

http://one4house.com/images/manifold6.jpg

Because of room constraints and such, I decided to go with the setup you see below. It ended up working out great.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://one4house.com/images/manifold2.jpg

These last 3 pictures are the manifold bolted into place before I put the carb back on.

http://one4house.com/images/manifold3.jpg

http://one4house.com/images/manifold4.jpg

http://one4house.com/images/manifold5.jpg

I will post some more pictures next week when I get the other side done.
My Old 70 Squareback
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3602023### vin number

What all information can I get from my vin?
My Old 70 Squareback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one4house wrote:
3602023### vin number

What all information can I get from my vin?

Nothing except it's a Squareback (36) from 1970 (02, 0 is 1970, 2 is 2nd generation of numbers) and it's car number 023### off the 1970 production line
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
one4house
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks like this chapter comes to an end. Someone should be picking up the Papa tomorrow. It was fun while it lasted, and I can't wait to get another..

Ultimately it came down to an automatic tying your hands as far as what you can do with performance. I know that someone is getting an EXCELLENT car.

I will be out of the hobby for a year or so, but I will not be going anywhere. I will be picking up another Squareback in the future. I just fell in love with the wrong car at the wrong time.

Of course, nothing is done till I have money in hand, but I do not foresee the new owner doing anything but getting here as soon as he can tomorrow with the money.

Thanks for all of the help so far. Until the next one.......pre 70, with a manual!
My Old 70 Squareback
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One4,

Hate to see you get out of it. I guess it all boils down to what you are looking for in a car. In truth, if you are looking for a stop light to stop light car, you may be better off with a type 1. Weight alone makes a huge difference in this area. My 2110 type 1. DD gives many a car a wake up call in this area. That being said, my Type 3 with an auto isn't a slouch either. However, I am running a 2 liter type 4 and IMHO if you are mated up to an auto, you are probably better off to run a torque motor, then a high RPM motor. Unless you know a good tranny shop that can tweak the trans to your liking.

Currently, I am doing an auto rebuild for a trans that is going into a trike. In this area, they take the whole Type 3 sub frame and mate it into a trike Evil or Very Mad . Personally, I don't like to see this since it robs us T3 owners of spare parts, but I can use the funds for my little buggy build.

Take your time on finding your ideal car, then come back to us.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Jump to:
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: