Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 Gas Tank Capacity?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheWilliamAlan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: 67 Gas Tank Capacity? Reply with quote

No gas gauge. Trying to figure out my milage and when to fill up. I've seen 16 18 and other numbers of gallons on here and other sites. Who knows for ire the size ?!

Thanks!

Also. How would I go about diagnosing the problem in order oh get my gas gangs working?
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From memory, I 'm pretty certain that both styles of tanks used in 1967 held pretty much the same amount of fuel, 10.5 US gallons. The earlier gas tank used into the Spring of 1967 has a basically flat-ish top surface, and the later version had an upward "bump" or domed area on the top surface. No one has ever satisfactorily explained the purpose of the "dome" except to hold air (not fuel).

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10.6 gallons according to the 1967 owner's manual on the site and yes, as far as I know the "hump" tank isn't any larger.

I think most Bus guys fill up every 150-200 miles, try to not go too much over 200 miles just to be safe.

To figure out mileage you don't need a gas gauge.
Example:
Fill tank, drive 200 miles, fill tank again, note how much gas you took.
Let's say 10 gallons for ease.
Divide 200 miles by 10 gallons = 20MPG.

Apologies if you already know that or if it is obvious.

To check gas gauge, remove wire at sender, ground it out.
Turn on key, gas gauge should peg to full.

If doesn't:
Gas gauge may be bad (unlikely) or may have a bad ground.
Clean up area where gas gauge mounting clamp contacts back of dash to get a good ground or add a ground wire from one of the 2 mounting tabs to another place under the dash.
Sometimes you can just grab the gas gauge from the backside and wiggle it a little to get the clamp to ground better, especially if it's loose.

If it does peg to full:
Sender is probably bad (common)
Remove engine
Remove gas tank
Replace sender
Reinstall

There are a few threads in the Split Bus FAQ too, under fuel system
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheWilliamAlan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
10.6 gallons according to the 1967 owner's manual on the site and yes, as far as I know the "hump" tank isn't any larger.

Awesome. Thanks. Ya I know how to figure my milage out just not sure how big my tank was. It's a late 67 so it's got a hump. But sounds like it's the same? Filled her to the brim. Noted milage. I'll probably fill up again at 150 just to be safe and see where I'm at.

I probably should have asked if there's a way to test the sender before I put the motor in. Oh well. fingers crossed.
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info from Everett, especially on how to diagnose the ground at the gauge and sender. Yeah, the gauges are rarely the issue, the senders usually fail first. But as Everett said, you may just have grounding issues and that should be easy to figure out.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
olliehank47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As already mentioned, there is no significant difference in capacity between the 67 "hump" tank and earlier tanks. Still, there are some sellers that claim "extra capacity" in terms of additional liters of fuel--nonsense. The only way to add significantly more fuel to the 67 tank is to turn the bus on it's side and fill the tank with the neck pointing directly upward! Basic physics. The filler neck enters the tank below the level of the hump. Fuel will fill the tank until it hits the neck opening and then begin to fill up the neck. The hump will remain full of air. My understanding was the hump was put in to help with vapor expansion.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: "hump" tank no larger (1967) Reply with quote

Everett, BulliBill and olliehank47 are (naturally) correct; the "hump" tank in the '67 did not allow for additional capacity ('less on its side as olliehank47 pointed out). ...the hump just really makes it more difficult to get to the sending unit when the tank is in the car.

Last March (2013) I replaced my hump tank with a WolfsburgWest tank, and was happy with the results.

Hope you are successful in troubleshooting your gauge to work properly.

Should/if you end up needing to take your tank out to replace the sending unit, here's a few notes concerning the felt under the straps and such (link below)... and if you do end up removing it, it'd be wise also to get a new screen filter too (the long, thin, copper screen/sleeve that mounts inside of fuel tank).

Here's that product from W.W.:
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111209147A

Some stuff about my experience with removing/replacing the fuel tank, should it be helpful at all:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6538636&highlight=#6538636
TheWilliamAlan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: "hump" tank no larger (1967) Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:

.the hump just really makes it more difficult to get to the sending unit when the tank is in the car.

So you've replaced the sending unit without removing the tank? This bus was just built this summer so the tank was cleaned and new seals along with the motor which was installed last week. So if I can avoid removing the motor I'd like to.
DadaCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: "hump" tank no larger (1967) Reply with quote

TheWilliamAlan wrote:

So you've replaced the sending unit without removing the tank?

No. Regretfully I don't think that is possible; there's not enough clearance to pull the sending unit out.
...it is/was the sending unit's wire connection I was refering to as being difficult to get to since it is kind of behind the hump.

I'm attaching a photo below that could help if you are checking it by feel...
AND, make sure that the sending unit is grounded. That seems to be a problem that is occasionally overlooked... Note in the bottom picture the brown wire going to the frame of the body above the tank.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

TheWilliamAlan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: "hump" tank no larger (1967) Reply with quote

DadaCheese wrote:
TheWilliamAlan wrote:

So you've replaced the sending unit without removing the tank?

No. Regretfully I don't think that is possible; there's not enough clearance to pull the sending unit out.

Dang. Ok. So just check the connections pretty much?
olliehank47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWilliamAlan wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Awesome. Thanks. Ya I know how to figure my milage out just not sure how big my tank was. It's a late 67 so it's got a hump. But sounds like it's the same? Filled her to the brim. Noted milage. I'll probably fill up again at 150 just to be safe and see where I'm at.

I probably should have asked if there's a way to test the sender before I put the motor in. Oh well. fingers crossed.

Here's how to test the sender.

1. Make sure the gauge body is grounded to the dash metal.

2. Disconnect the brown sender wire at the gauge, and attach a jumper wire to the gauge terminal.

3. Take the sending unit and connect the jumper wire from the gauge to the connector on the sending unit.

4. Using another wire, ground the body of the sender to the bus.

5. Turn on the ignition. With the sender help upright, the needle should point to empty.

6. Turn the sender upside down and let the float slide to the top (which is now pointing downward.) The needle on the gauge should move to "full" as the float slides toward the top of the sender.

Or...you can get a multimeter and test the ohms between the connector on the sender and the body of the sender. Upright, the ohms should be ~90, upside down, the ohms should be 0.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank god for fuel taps Laughing

why did they stop using these anyway?

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
olliehank47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StockNazi wrote:
thank god for fuel taps Laughing

why did they stop using these anyway?

+1!

Guess they figured with the gauge, having a tap was unnecessary. Doesn't matter now, I installed a tap into my 67 and simply ignore the gauge. Calculate approx mileage, watch the odometer, and if I miscalculate, I pull the knob and fill up at the next station.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Gas Tank Capacity? Reply with quote

Was running on fumes and filled the '67 Westy.

Just sayin' it went in not that that is what you are supposed to do.
amishman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Gas Tank Capacity? Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:

I just did a complete drain on my 67 Westy tank as I replaced all the fuel lines.

At home, after I completed the fuel line work, I poured in 4.25 gallons as that was from my plastic fuel can.
I then drive to town and filled up until it stopped and once more squeeze of the lever for good luck. 7.33 gallons.

So for me, 11.58 gallons from empty empty to full full. Shocked

TJ

Come visit my web site!
http://www.vwhippie.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 67 Gas Tank Capacity? Reply with quote

amishman wrote:
BarryL wrote:

I just did a complete drain on my 67 Westy tank as I replaced all the fuel lines.

At home, after I completed the fuel line work, I poured in 4.25 gallons as that was from my plastic fuel can.
I then drive to town and filled up until it stopped and once more squeeze of the lever for good luck. 7.33 gallons.

So for me, 11.58 gallons from empty empty to full full. Shocked

TJ

minus the gas you burned from your house to the gas station.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: