Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front Beam Supports
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thinginneed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Front Beam Supports Reply with quote

I'm new to VW THings, but have always wanted one. I now have one, but am starting to have questions. Can anyone tell me where the triangle shaped front beam supports are supposed to attach to the car? They came in a bucket parts with the car, but I can't see where they attach.

Thanks
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are two horizontal bolts on each side that attach the braces to a flange on the front beam, and two more bolts on each side that bolt up into the front bulkhead from the bottomside of the pan.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
Chris181Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One possible problem, if the beam supports were in a parts bucket this leads me to beleive that the original Thing beam rusted out and was replaced with a bug beam. And whomever did the job did not remove and replace the plates that are welded on the beam. The beam supports bolt on to those plates. If this is the case you will need to get 2 rectangle plates drill 2 holes in each of them and weld them to your beam. Then you will be able to bolt the beam supports on.
Look at the back of your shock towers if there are not two plates with holes in them, this is the case. If the plates are still there, then you are in luck! Bolt those bad boys on! If you are really lucky you have supports on your car already and you just have a extra set!
But my glass is half empty and I bet somebody did a half assed beam replacement on your 181. My first Thing was the same way, but they threw the supports away! At least you have them.
To feel the thrill of desire"
Roger Waters, The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking
Chris181Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thinginneed, did you look under your Thing and see what is up?
To feel the thrill of desire"
Roger Waters, The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking
thinginneed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, let me thank you both for the replies. And yes I did crawl under this weekend. I can see where the brackets were on the beam. BUT, someone has removed them and welded in a pair of brackets to mount a "home-made" bumper. Apparently there was a frontal impact and the bottom sheet metal behond the apron has been cut out, so nothing to mount the bumper to! Oh I hate butchers!

Anyway, I am working on getting myself another front beam to replace that one. And also trying to figure out what to do about the missing body section!

Thanks again for the help, and by all means if you have any suggesstions for this newest problem I would love to hear them.
flamed74vwthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my car on the road for 2 years without the y supports
without any problems but my car dosent see much off road
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: