Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sound proofing your split
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Sound proofing your split Reply with quote

Hello,

I was walking around one of those BIG BOX hardware stores the other day and found some floor sound control material that claims it will reduce noise by up to 75%. The product is called dB-4LOORING sound control solutions. It is a thin mat made from recycled rubber that can be installed under wood, tie, carpet or vinyl flooring. It comes in large rolls and is relatively inexpensive @ 25.00 bucks a roll. Maybe 4' x 8 ' I think. Has anyone tried this stuff on the floor and over the engine compartment to reduce the noise. If it works, it may be an inexpensive option compare to some of the vehicle specific products out there, and it can be easily removed since it does not use adhesives, just a thin rubber mat you can place under your flooring.

-Rich
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the product.
I've come across a more permanent product with excellent attenuation (spray or roll on).
It also has rust inhibitive properties.
Noxudol 3100 (regular)
Noxudol 3101 (+ fire resistant)
Cheers,
E
rebapuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to check that out. Thanks. I don't really want to adhere anything. This may be just the ticket.
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have BIG BOX hardware stores here. I did go to summit racing and pick up their 4 x 8 rolls of rubber mat. 50 bucks.
rebapuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, my biggest concern is whether there is an odor. Do these rubber linings smell like tires when the bus heats up?
Old Paint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the foil backed adhesive roof flashing from the big box store in the 61 Bug, AMAZING results, took all the rattle out, whatever you use, make sure you dont get anything that will hold water. And no, the stuff I used doesnt stink, but my Bug is a Ragtop so its well ventilated, and 85 is a hot day here.

1961 Ragtop
1961 Single Cab (Old Paint)
Sdmjake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed FatMat and the difference is amazing. My camper started out as a panel 45 yrs ago and those things are inherently noisy. Putting it in the doors made a tangible difference. The door 'clunks' (rather than a tinny clank) when closed. The engine noise was reduced a bunch too. (I didn't measure dB or anything but it is definitely quieter) I didn't notice any smell after about 24 hours...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I recommend it. Cool
dirtylawnchair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this before installing my RJ Camper kit. Made a big difference.

http://www.lobucrod.com/

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DubStyle
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Sound proofing your split Reply with quote

robin.richard wrote:
Hello,

I was walking around one of those BIG BOX hardware stores the other day and found some floor sound control material that claims it will reduce noise by up to 75%. The product is called dB-4LOORING sound control solutions. It is a thin mat made from recycled rubber that can be installed under wood, tie, carpet or vinyl flooring. -Rich

I used that stuff under my laminate floors and it works. This would require glue as well. Shop around, because I know my wife got the rolls for our floor as low as $15 a roll.

I used this stuff in the DC @ $17 a roll and it's sticky backed. Yes it works, I put it on the roof, walls and in the doors and you can tell when you shut the doors.

SBS #1
SBS #1 on FB

"The original & best lowered Split Bus website/club"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cuņado Wear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Sound proofing your split Reply with quote

DubStyle wrote:
robin.richard wrote:
Hello,

I was walking around one of those BIG BOX hardware stores the other day and found some floor sound control material that claims it will reduce noise by up to 75%. The product is called dB-4LOORING sound control solutions. It is a thin mat made from recycled rubber that can be installed under wood, tie, carpet or vinyl flooring. -Rich

I used that stuff under my laminate floors and it works. This would require glue as well. Shop around, because I know my wife got the rolls for our floor as low as $15 a roll.

I used this stuff in the DC @ $17 a roll and it's sticky backed. Yes it works, I put it on the roof, walls and in the doors and you can tell when you shut the doors.

This is also the stuff I used. Works great! I put that in my whole bus and wow
I did notice that if you use spray adhesive with it, it works even better.
I put it on my roof and waited a whole year before I did headliner to see if it would hold and it did. held up over many hot days over 100 degrees.
When I started it was $15 bucks a roll and now its up to $20. I believe it took 6 rolls to do my whole bus.

Looking for front kick panels for late 63' Deluxe Basalt Gray
60' Double Cab
63' 15 Window Deluxe
abritinthebay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a general rule - anything that is solid in rolls is roofing material that's being rebranded.

I mean... it'll work alright, and it'll be cheaper, but it's not going to be as good as dedicated materials like Fat Mat or Second Skin's products.

But... it'll work ok. While it lasts at least.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: