Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper Motor Question
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Wiper Motor Question Reply with quote

I just purchased a Ghia wiper motor & linkage for my kit car to replace the current one that's having a lot of problems. I think the old one is from a 69 since the motor is the basket(?) style. Here's a link to the ad for the one I just bought to replace it. I THINK it's from a 71 model.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1542984

After it arrived I decided to dis-assemble it to clean & grease it. I have the orange Bentley manual (plus I saw a tutorial on The Samba) and the picture of a disassembled wiper motor shows a thrust cone at the back end (opposite of the worm gear) of the armature. As far as I can tell my motor doesn't have one. I never saw one and I'm pretty sure it didn't fall out without me seeing it. Also, the end of my armature is spherical so I'm not sure a thrust cone could work with it, but what do I know?

I'm pretty sure VW used more than one style/brand of wiper motor on these cars. The picture in my Bentley says copyright 1974. Does anybody know if there was an earlier motor used that didn't have the thrust cone? I looked for numbers on the motor and there's something there but it was stamped with paint or ink and is so faint that I can't really make it out.

Should I be asking this question in the late Beetle forum instead? Confused The actual motors are probably the same.
toddb_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I searched for wiper motor differences and came up with this thread.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...ifferences
I'm not sure if it exactly answers your question but it might lead you down the right path anyway.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714683
1974 Karmann Ghia- current project, 1967cc engine. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775207
“I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.” - Dudley Field Malone
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. I can't tell you how many threads I've read about wiper motors in the last few days. There's so many it's hard to know what search terms to use & what threads to read after you get the results. From that thread it looks like there were different motors used after 71 so maybe my motor is different than the one in the Bentley manual. I'll hold out for awhile & maybe somebody else will reply with more info. I have some more reference material in my stash if I can find it. Maybe I'll get lucky & find a pic of a different motor in an old manual.
sellinmyG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have one for sale that came off of a '69. It looks pretty similar to the one that you bought, but if you need some measurements or identifying to see if they're different, let me know and I can do that for you. Just check my ads! Smile
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a classifieds ad of a guy that rebuilds wiper motors, might give him a call.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sellinmyG wrote:
I actually have one for sale that came off of a '69. It looks pretty similar to the one that you bought, but if you need some measurements or identifying to see if they're different, let me know and I can do that for you. Just check my ads! Smile

Thanks for the offer. The one you have for sale looks just like the one I bought. About the only thing you could do for me is take your motor housing off & see if there's a thrust cone in there but I'm not going to ask you to do that. Laughing I can see the numbers on your motor so that might help me out but I think they might just be numbers for the complete assembly.

I'm just guessing on the year of the one I have on my car. It has the style motor with the wire bail holding the cover on it. I'm not sure what year they quit using that style but it's been having a problem of letting the wind blow the wipers up on the windshield far enough that they keep cycling. I can be driving down the road and a gust of wind from a vehicle passing in the other direction can make the wipers start up and they won't stop until I slow down to under 30 mph. Or sometimes they'll just get forced up on the windshield far enough to start up just because I'm driving into a strong wind. I think at least part of the problem is due to the gear reduction style transmission used with that style wiper motor. That, combined with the steep rake of the windshield on my car lets the wind push on the wipers with enough force to overcome the resistance of the motor and wiper transmission. I'm hoping to take care of all of that by replacing it with the newer style unit I bought which uses a worm & pinion drive.

Last edited by SBD on Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwold wrote:
There's a classifieds ad of a guy that rebuilds wiper motors, might give him a call.

Thanks, but before I bought the replacement setup I contacted him describing what I had & the problem with it, and asking what my options might be. Here's his reply.

"Send it to me. I will go threw it for on or about $90 + parts"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: