Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tires - Blowout - Gowesty load rating is optimistic?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some specific recommendations of tires that DO meet Vanagon spec

14": Hankook RA08 195R14 and 185R14. BFG AT Ko 195x75x14. Nokian Hakka C 185R14
15": Michellin Agilis 205x65x15, BFG AT Ko 215x75x15, Nokian WRC Van 205x65x15
16": BFG AT Ko 215x70x16, Nokian WRC Van 205x6 5x16

Here are some vendors that I recommend for the tires listed above:
for Hankook http://www.busdepot.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=hankook&dir=desc&order=default_sort_order
for Nokian http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/search?keywords=nokian&x=0&y=0
for BFG AT Ko and Michellin Agilis http://www.bigotires.com/ (and many other sources)

Here is the one simple criteria that I require on any tire I consider on a Vanagon. It MUST have a least 50psi max inflation.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, size matters.

For your 15", look at 205/65/15. TireRack has 4 tires XL and Load C
That size is what RSA Vanagons came with as well as many Eurovans.

For 16", look at the numeric ratings of the SL 215/65/16. Those are commonly LI 98 and they have tons of them as you said, some even 50psi tires for people who care about that. Sure myself I would prefer the XL versions at LI 102 and 50 psi but the SL at 98 is higher than stock 14" tires Vanagon alloys came with, those were index 97 and 40psi.

I wouldn't consider a 215/55/16 since too many rims get damaged with that low of sidewall. Speaking of damage, I wonder how many of those 'replica' wheels GW sells end up bent. I know a few. I like how they talk about them getting bent but without any damage to the tire, like that is a good thing?

Mark

kamzcab86 wrote:

For the common 15" MB wheel like I have (215/65/15; GW sells 215/60/16 for the 16's), neither Tire Rack nor Discount Tire offer an LT/XL-rated tire. All results in that size are "standard load", and have load ratings from 95-97, which is 1521-1609 pounds (before heading down the Shafer Trail next year, I might have to hit up Van Café!).

For the 215/60/16's, Tire Rack shows 88 results, 5 of which are XL-rated. For 215/65/16, Tire Rack shows 56 results, 4 of which are XL-rated. For 215/55/16's, Tire Rack shows 66 results, 25 of which are XL-rated.

So, "whole catalog" from the popular tire vendors depends on which size you want/need. Confused.....
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: tires for a Vanagon Station Wagon 9 passenger diesel Reply with quote

I have been having difficulty in finding a load rang C or D tire for my 83 Vanagon . The factory rims call for a 185/75 R 14 - I have been told that HANKOOK makes a tire of adequate load range. Goodyear made a police special tire with 6 ply tread and 4 ply sidewall. That is the most heavy duty tire I have seen. All the name dealers I have seen here in Kansas City - Firestone, Goodyear, Mich., and who else I can find, don't want to sell the tires I am looking for, I got quite a few things to do on my diesel Vanagon.
I am game. I don't like Alloy rims, they tend to break up on side wall impact against curbs. The tires I have on there are Douglas, I did not buy them - they will be replaced. Any recommendations will be appreciated. Confused
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: tires for a Vanagon Station Wagon 9 passenger diesel Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I have been having difficulty in finding a load rang C or D tire for my 83 Vanagon . The factory rims call for a 185/75 R 14 - I have been told that HANKOOK makes a tire of adequate load range. \?

See the 14"tire thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=499636
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think the factory calls for a 185R14 Commerical tire, not a 185/75/14 tire which would likely be a passenger car tire.

From the 1982 owners manual...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: tires for a Vanagon Station Wagon 9 passenger diesel Reply with quote

$99ea delivered to your or your tire shops door.
Hercules Power CV in 185r14
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-TIRES-185R14C-8-102-10...mp;vxp=mtr

[email protected] wrote:
I have been having difficulty in finding a load rang C or D tire for my 83 Vanagon . The factory rims call for a 185/75 R 14 - I have been told that HANKOOK makes a tire of adequate load range. Goodyear made a police special tire with 6 ply tread and 4 ply sidewall. That is the most heavy duty tire I have seen. All the name dealers I have seen here in Kansas City - Firestone, Goodyear, Mich., and who else I can find, don't want to sell the tires I am looking for, I got quite a few things to do on my diesel Vanagon.
I am game. I don't like Alloy rims, they tend to break up on side wall impact against curbs. The tires I have on there are Douglas, I did not buy them - they will be replaced. Any recommendations will be appreciated. Confused

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I resolved my tire issue today.
went to America's Tire.

They gave a discount of $262.00 for my old Michelin HydroEdges,
w/about 75% of thread remaining and severe cracked sidewalls.

I DID NOT buy the GoWesty tire:
Goodyear TripleThread 215/60/16 94T (1477lbs)
(Amer. Tire said they would not install that tire due to low rating)

I Bought: Goodyear Triple Tread 215/5516XL 97H (1609 lbs.).
installed total cost: $361 + CA tax.
-- PLUS an $80 rebate VISA card from Goodyear Very Happy

- the total diameter is slightly less than an inch from the Michelins.
- The reduction in tire diam. also provides a 'slight' boost to power.
- Match well for my intended uses, according to TireRack tests, etc..

comments?
peace of mind was less $$ than I expected.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
Use proper tire load information from real tire engineers and not from self-proclaimed 'experts'. The Michelins mentioned above have never had the specified minimum load requirements and should have never been installed.

Maybe the term "injur-near" is appropriate here?

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdm777 wrote:
I Bought: Goodyear Triple Tread 215/5516XL 97H (1609 lbs.).

Congratulations, you did good, I hope they work well for you.

Also thanks for sharing your purchase conclusion.

I recommend 42psi front, 48 psi rear

and I caution you NOT to go below 39psi for any reason.

Out of curiosity, what pressure did the tire shop set you at?
pedrokrusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
westyventures wrote:
Use proper tire load information from real tire engineers and not from self-proclaimed 'experts'. The Michelins mentioned above have never had the specified minimum load requirements and should have never been installed.

Karl, i was gonna leave it with no response, but then again i needed to give you an apology. I'm sorry for jumping on conclusions, and starting a mess here. I can be very sentimental with my westy and what i do with it. When i read "self proclaimed experts" when i'm not, followed by comments that i'm the only one that mentionned it, well, then thats obvious thats me he's talking about. I re-read again the same paragraph today and still it seem obvious its directed to me... I kinda thought you would see that too, but you did not...

But you know what? i do agree with you in regards to safety. I did not follow GW with their tire size because I did not feel it was safe enough for me and went a notch higher. My tires are the 98T with 1653 lbs capacity, a little over the minimum requirement of 1580 lbs. But then when you derate it the 9% for truck use, i'm down to 1504 lbs. a little under the minimum requirement of 9% derate. I know i am borderline "not conform" with the minimum specs required for the vanagon now.

I read about that 9% rule and it stated that its for truck use in case you overload your truck, like a pick-up truck that you could easily overload. You can overload a westy easily too if you load it with firewood to the ceiling per example. Well i'm not gonna do that ever! So this is why I believe i'm good with these tires at the moment. When its gonna be time to change tires i plan on going to a higher spec anyway. I plan on going the 17 or even 18 inch wheel size for better highway stability...

I'm trying to make my van as safe as possible. I went with the 16 wheels to give a better stability (it really did), went with bigger front AND rear discs. Now i'm waiting for the bigger front and rear sway bars soon to be available from T3 Technique (tx Chris for taking the plunge on this). Well whats next for safety? ABS brakes and air bags? Ah i don't think thats gonna happen... Doable but too much casholass...

jackbombay wrote:
sorry i don't understand this one, it must be funny, but english is actually my third language... Wink

Sorry for the lenght of the message, but there is no other way for me to explain it better.
1989 vanagon Karmann Gipsy #652, TDI AFN
1991 vanagon westfalia conversion TDI ALH Silverfox
ex-1989 vanagon syncro passenger Syncrofox (Sold)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=598791&highlight=
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493964&highlight=speed+aap+trans
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=496589&highlight=carrier+bars
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=506025
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pedro,

imo, you do not need to worry about your tire, it exceeds the max load of 1580, that was used on the lowest rated tire VW ever put on a Vanagon.
http://www.roadhaus.com/tires/VW%20Vanagon%20Original%20Equipment%20Tires%201984%20-%201991.html

if you look at that link, you will see that VW did use one Load Range 97 XL rated tire, but every other tire they ever used was at least Load Range 99 (C rated tires)

Personally I won't settle for less than a C rated tire because I like how the stiff sidewalls eliminate body roll driving through curves, even with stock sway bars.

imho, 17" rims are not safer than 16". I would say Load Range C tires are safer than XL rated passenger tires, regardless of rim size.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pedrokrusher wrote:

jackbombay wrote:
sorry i don't understand this one, it must be funny, but english is actually my third language... Wink

Yea, it was a joke, "injur-near" sounds like "engineer" but infers that people are getting injured around them.

My $.02, I did not think Karl was referring to you when I read his post.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
For your 15", look at 205/65/15. TireRack has 4 tires XL and Load C
That size is what RSA Vanagons came with as well as many Eurovans.

Thanks! In the previous post I was merely going by what size GW is selling for 15" and doing a comparison. ^That size does open things up a tad.

Discount has two for XL:
Road Hugger GT Eco
Continental ContiProContact

Tire Rack shows 3 results for XL, 2 of which are winter/snow tires, leaving just:
Continental ContiProContact (for the only four-season option)

Tire Rack also has 2 light truck C-rated tires with a load index of 100/102:
Continental VancoFourSeason
Michelin Agilis

Add in what Slider posted above and there's a couple more options for 15":
BFG AT Ko 215x75x15
Nokian WRC Van 205x65x15

And had to post this... Big O Tires, when doing a by-vehicle search using the "Campmobile" option, pops up with this message: "Awesome car! Looks like it needs special tires. [Give us a call.]" Laughing
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the following tires are all available in identical 205x65x15, all are 100T load range C, max load 1875@55psi:

agilis $169 at tire rack
contivanco $145 at tire rack
nokian wrc $140 at Van-cafe

I put Nokian WRC 205x65x15 on my 2wd Westy about 2 weeks ago.

I run them at 42psi front, 48rear and am very happy with them.

The previous tire was a Michellin Agilis. It worked great, but they are not snow friendly. So I went with Nokian, in anticipation of ski season.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tires-Easy.com is showing these load range D tires at a terrific price. I may try them:

http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=13...View+Tires
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vasa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Michelin Sidewall cracks... Reply with quote

I too had sidewall cracks in my Michelin Hydro-edge tires purchased directly from Gowesty. I switched to Cooper tires years ago, and I have had absolutely no problems with them. The Coopers do not show any cracking for the full life of the tire-- in my experience, Michelins are over-rated as a tire, generally. This goes for their Bicycle tires, as well....
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdm777 wrote:
Houston, we have a problem.
Google : michelin hydroedge sidewall crack

All four tires had very significant sidewall cracking.
I did not feel safe driving on tires that had compromised sidewalls.

Any body else notice severe sidewall cracking on Michelin HydroEdges???

YES, I gave the set away that came with my SyncWesty as a temporary set advising the new owner that the ratings WERE NOT IN AGREEMENT with our vehicle specs. Get rid of those tires STAT. DANGER!!!! My set was sold as a package from "vendor name here".
Speaking from someone who had a 1991 Westy 2WD AT in 1997 with owners manual spec'd Michelin MXL's and went through a 2 year legal battle against Michelin and lost, being told that my tire had been improperly stored in the clamshell(Left rear tire was spare tire, brand new with nubs still on it over 1 1/2 years before DOT expiration date code)......I WILL NEVER OWN A MICHELIN TIRE AGAIN. Mine blew out on the freeway, center lane at 70 MPH and I not only almost rolled, but also, almost got plastered by the semi I was passing as I popped the master cylinder trying to stop the van before going off the freeway shoulder. I just recently found the photos of the blowout and the damage to my van and have intended to get them posted on here.

Prior to giving my HydroEdge tires away(with less than 6k on the set and with extensive sidewall cracking)I was approached viw PM by someone who stated they were pursuing action against "vendor name here" and advised that I did not have the emotional fortitude at the time to pursue another battle and opted to not participate. Have not heard anything since, nor do I wish to. The Samba member whom I gave them to had a 2wd weekender westy and was only using them as spares to get him south to his new home in SoCal.

FTR, my 15 "vendor name here" Tire Wheel package was purchased new by my vans PO and they lived their entire life inland of Tillamook Oregon.
westyventures wrote:
Use proper tire load information from real tire engineers and not from self-proclaimed 'experts'. The Michelins mentioned above have never had the specified minimum load requirements and should have never been installed. P-class tires are always derated 9% when in truck use (yes, the T3 is a truck) whether you agree with that or not - the tire industry engineers know what's real and what's not. It has more to do with their construction than merely how many pounds it will carry at full inflation pressure. XL, RF, LT-C/D/E are generally the only tires meeting these load requirements.'Love' is a strong term to use for tires that at any given moment on a hot day, fully loaded van, could send you into harms way or into a rollover situation - or worse. What's your life worth (or those whom you share the road with)?

^^^^THIS
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have proudly unmounted and recycled every set of Hydro Edge tires that have come through my shop.

Complete crap and not suited for a Vanagon.

And I don't care who says that they are fine for a van.
Disagree.
Jamos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my van 6 years ago, it had the GW/Hydroedge package installed about 4 years prior. The PO had put about 20k miles on them, and all 4 tires had extreme sidewall cracking. There was tons of tread left, but within about 6 months I replaced them with Michelin Agilis tires.

I have no problems with the Agilis in wet or dry conditions, but now they too are starting to get sidewall cracks. Only on the outside though, the side that gets UV exposure.

I've never had any other tire do this.
Maybe it's a Michelin thing?
vanonimous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, 94 passenger on a Westy? I am not an expert but I would do minimum 98xl on a passenger van preferably 4 ply sidewall.
98XLs come as either 2 or 4 ply. C rated are 6 ply but commercial sizing sux.

Lighting upgrades: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578291
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: