Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jagd 16 Reclamation Project
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
junichi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I just took my slats off. They were mostly rotten and underneath them was full of grime. Some spots had started to rust because of it. I live in a wet climate....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xriss55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and again matt... Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
xriss55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt your load bed slatts should be something like this

Smile
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the 16" rear wheel cylinder body is different. The pistons and seals are the same. It the body is in good shape you can rebuild it with 14" parts.
syncroid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reventlos wrote:

Nothing too esoteric about the brakes themselves, it's all about the parts! Lots of hard-to-find stuff here, and they ship to the US!

http://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlClassicParts....mse_hinten

I love this: Rear wheel Cylinder: €10.90; Rear Wheel Cylinder 16" syncro: €98.00

Maybe I'll just buy the rear brake "cheeks" for now and hope that my cylinders are healthy.

Thanks for the link!
Reventlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncroid wrote:
Do I understand correctly that Europro in Costa Mesa managed to rebuild your 16" rear brakes? Shoes, cylinders, etc?

Nothing too esoteric about the brakes themselves, it's all about the parts! Lots of hard-to-find stuff here, and they ship to the US!

http://www.vwbusshop.de/epages/GuenzlClassicParts....mse_hinten
syncroid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I understand correctly that Europro in Costa Mesa managed to rebuild your 16" rear brakes? Shoes, cylinders, etc?
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can free that locker. Pull the actuator ( if it leaks vacuum, just crush it with diagonal cutters and pull the bits off), wire rush the shaft where it enters the case and spray PB Blaster or similar. Not wd40 as it's not strong enough but will do a beautiful job of blocking anything you subsequently spray from working into the corrosion. Then commit to tapping it vigorously with a brass hammer a few hundred times a day. I just kept a clean cloth down there to lay on and whenever I thought of it I would flop down there in street clothes, spray and tap. When it starts to move, you will need to pull it back out manually with protected vice grips and something to pry with such as a stout screwdriver. I moved it an eighth inch then pulled it back out many times. I also removed the switch above it which lets you apply PB blaster directly on the shaft inside. You should change the gear oil after that, however. A new actuator is only 85 or so from van cafe.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So very nice!
I'm looking forward to some of this work on my 16" Joker Confused Fortunately I don't have the rust issues but I am planning on chasing down all those 16" specific bits. Crying or Very sad
One can only hope that VW Classic will come through on the wear items since there are the LTs to rebuild also.
Clip1 has started to carry the 16" rear drums (made in Italy) Hopefully more bits on the way!

edit:typo

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Tristar Eric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uber cool Matt! can't wait to see it at Syncrofest.

Eric
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Shaun on the bed. Leave the factory paint. Add some wood slats. I'm pulling for you on the rear diff lock.
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
There are many differences with the syncro 16 model...

And I am seeing more and more. Rear brakes was just a new one to me, and was more wondering if it was a difference, or a customization. And even though the differences are mentioned, nice photos like that one sure make it easier to ... visualize!
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many differences with the syncro 16 model. Brakes, suspension, drivetrain, body reinforcements etc. They have low production numbers and were only for the european market as well.
They aren't like any run of the mill vanagon and that has been mentioned many times in the past.
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
GreenMachineVW wrote:
I was under the impression that the rear brakes were the same on all years and models, but yours sure look stock (or at least VW, by the label). Also looks like six big bolts going through the brake plate into the trailing arm, where mine only has four behind the brake plate.

syncro 16

I thought syncro 16 was a Vanagon model, and "I was under the impression that the rear brakes were the same on all years and models" The real answer and explanation was above, not simply repeating that we are talking about a 16 inch version, which must have got lost in the title ... Thanks for you two words anyway ...
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenMachineVW wrote:
I was under the impression that the rear brakes were the same on all years and models, but yours sure look stock (or at least VW, by the label). Also looks like six big bolts going through the brake plate into the trailing arm, where mine only has four behind the brake plate.

syncro 16
zeohsix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenMachineVW wrote:
The same ... but different!

Nice work!

Syncro 16's have larger front/rear brakes. The rear drums share parts with VW LT commercial series vehicles. Syncro 16 rear bearing carriers and outer axels......we're talking rare hard to find stuff there!
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same ... but different!

Nice work!
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAtt

Looks like your checkbook got quite the workout there . Nicely done and done by a real pro .
I'm with Shaun ,leave the bed alone . Buy some Bed slats and return it to stock . I have a set of them sitting at home if you want to have them copied .
As far as speakers, I made a set of speaker boxes that mounted below the seat belts on the B pillars . I found a project box at a FLAPS that fit perfectly in that space . I put a bracket on the back that bolts up to the seat belt retract-er and was able to install it with no holes drilled . Sorry I have no pictures ,but my Doka is now in Hawaii and the new owner " Zohami" might be able to forward some shots to you .
Are you going to take your Jag and duplicate the picture of your camper on Truck hill that you use for Avatar .
Look forward to seeing it at Syncrofest .

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
trailnewt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's beautiful Matt! I'm eager to see it in person. Some list members have reported diff lock success with daily applications of WD-40 and tapping on the shaft; after a few days of this it finally loosens up.
Brent
shaun0008
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Matt, My vote is to leave the factory paint on the bed as it is. Unless you plan to do heavy work from this truck a bedliner coating would be overkill. And the bed only has factory paint once. A couple of tarps or some plywood cut to fit would work well for the odd DYI project. I just painted my Tristar and I use it for some heavy work and will be having it X-lined as it is far from OG paint. I will send you a few photos when it is done and you get idea of what it will look like. Shaun
1987 German Ambulance
1990 16" Syncro Westfalia
1987 Syncro Westfalia
1963 Beetle Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: