Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drivers Door Trim Stuck?!? *Update* Actually Hinge Mechanism
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
slunk33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Drivers Door Trim Stuck?!? *Update* Actually Hinge Mechanism Reply with quote

The drivers side door on my 89 Vanagon fell open when park sideways on an incline. The door made an unusual pop noise, and it was difficult to close. I was able to close it, but when I got home, the door would not shut at all. I thought it was the fiberglass side skirt, and removed it, but it still would not close. I forced it shut to go to work, but it pops every time I open and close it. The hinge molding looks out of place. Anyone know how to fix that? It appears as if the molding is behind the door, instead of in front of it.

Thanks!

Former VW's:
'72 Bus, '75 Bus, '78 Sunroof Bus, '87 Vanagon GL, '00 Jetta TDI (Gas companies don't miss her, but I do), '04 Passat Wagon

Last edited by slunk33 on Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
slunk33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Worse Than I Thought Reply with quote

Mad Looks like I did some damage. The door retention mechanism(?) broke (I'm not sure what its called). I took the door panel off and there was a plastic cap on it. When I took the cap off, there was sheered off metal and broken plastic. Looked on van-cafe, but could not find it. Do I need to get this from a junk van? Can I remove this without any harmful effects? If so, how do I? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mechanism:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What it looks like inside the door with plastic cap removed:

Broken metal and plastic:

Former VW's:
'72 Bus, '75 Bus, '78 Sunroof Bus, '87 Vanagon GL, '00 Jetta TDI (Gas companies don't miss her, but I do), '04 Passat Wagon
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is commonly known as a check strap (if your old) or a check rod. I don't think that they are available new in the US. That strap limits how far your door opens. Without it, all of the stress is put into the hinges and the door can actually open far enough cause damage to to it. You can get away without it if you are really careful about not letting the door fly open, but I would replace asap.

To remove it, first remove the circlip on the bottom of that pin that you can see in your first photo, then drive the pin up and out and that potion of the strap should pull right out. Next remove the two phillips head screws from inside the door to remove that portion. Your mounting tabs where the pin goes through appears to be bent a little, so you will have to straighten those before reassembling things.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes get that door check strap (rod) replaced asap. Without it, the door can over swing open and body / door damage can result if this happens. granted the check strap is a little weak for such a big door. If you call Van Café, thy may be able to source a used part for you, they do not have everything they can get online in their catalog. they do have resources to find used parts, of course if you have a local wrecker to pull it out of a dead van, it will be considerably less expensive. one other source would be to call Fred's Garage in Redwood City calif. they have some wrecks their too.

from your first photograph, it might be that the bracket that holds the pin may be bent up or torn. (hard to tell, maybe it is ok????) make sure it is in good condition too.
slunk33
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks for the replies. Going to check with a local yard, first. Is that part the same on all Vanagons or is that an 86-91 only style?

Former VW's:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: