Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Duralast from Autozone
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fred69vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a Duralast alternator in my bug a year and a half ago and it's still running strong. I have been amazed at the number of old beetle parts they have in stock.

1969 VW convertible, "Heidi"
davidw99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Duralast battery from AZ is fine after 7 years. Only 12,000 miles though.

'73 Saturn Yellow Sports Bug that has undergone a full pan off restoration. "Herbert IV."

'67 Sedan. "Bellamy." Currently being "refreshed" and recently repainted.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Duralast from Autozone Reply with quote

Welp, bad news--
After years of buying my Bosch wires at AZ, they have decided their Duralast wires are more important to stock.
Bosch wires not available in ANY store anymore, and not available to order. Thanks AZ!

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Duralast from Autozone Reply with quote

Well that's a drag.

In 2013' I mentioned in this post about buying a set of Duralast plug wires. They failed and I had to replace with Bosch.

I should have known better.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Duralast from Autozone Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
Well that's a drag.

In 2013' I mentioned in this post about buying a set of Duralast plug wires. They failed and I had to replace with Bosch.

I should have known better.

Tim

Thanks for letting me know that Tim--
I remember you commenting on going with a set of Duralasts, and was considering a set of those myself. Not anymore..

I see some vendors still stock the original version of the Bosch wires:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BOS-09001-ORG

But most have started to sell these newer made in Mexico Bosch sets, with plastic ends replacing the old Bakelite ends:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BOS-09001

Note that most vendors still list the newer Mexican wires under the same part number (09001) and don't differentiate between the two.

I called the local VW vendor in my area and he said he had ONE set of the original wires left, and he upped the price on me to $60. Ugh.

1600 SP engine
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Duralast from Autozone Reply with quote

Autozone is usually ok if you don't get the cheapest version of whatever you're looking for.

I rely on Amazon for a lot of things, if I don't mind waiting a day or so.

I use RockAuto occasionally, but more to look up part numbers than anything else.
joeyk803c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Duralast from Autozone Reply with quote

I haven't used AutoZone parts in quite some time, but the major company (Federal Mogul) that supplies their parts also supplies Oreillys. I've been working for O'reillys for over 2 years now, and I can get a decent amount of parts for old aircooled bugs. Motor mounts, plugs, wires, steering parts, etc. I use their Import Direct wires on my 71 1600 DP motor, with NGK plugs and my "in-house" brand Richporter electronic distributor. I also use an outside vendor that can also get some harder to get parts. I rebuilt the drums on my 74 with parts from my work. I converted over to '72 ghia disc brakes with Oreillys calipers, bearings, and rotors. Got my pads from Napa for cost reasons ($22 at Napa, $60+ through my vendor). Held up for almost a year now.

The Import Direct part is O'Reillys line of import replacement parts. A majority of parts are factory replacement (well as close as they can be to older parts). Newer imports, most are factory parts.

I've heard hit and miss about AutoZone parts, though I can't say personally.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Duralast from Autozone Reply with quote

[quote="joeyk803c"]I haven't used AutoZone parts in quite some time, but the major company (Federal Mogul) that supplies their parts also supplies Oreillys. I've been working for O'reillys for over 2 years now, and I can get a decent amount of parts for old aircooled bugs. Motor mounts, plugs, wires, steering parts, etc. I use their Import Direct wires on my 71 1600 DP motor, with NGK plugs and my "in-house" brand Richporter electronic distributor. I also use an outside vendor that can also get some harder to get parts. I rebuilt the drums on my 74 with parts from my work. I converted over to '72 ghia disc brakes with Oreillys calipers, bearings, and rotors. Got my pads from Napa for cost reasons ($22 at Napa, $60+ through my vendor). Held up for almost a year now.

The Import Direct part is O'Reillys line of import replacement parts. A majority of parts are factory replacement (well as close as they can be to older parts). Newer imports, most are factory parts.

I've heard hit and miss about AutoZone parts, though I can't say personally.

[/quote

I used Oh Really's about a dozen years ago for brake calipers for a 71 bus,was amazed at the price less than twenty bucks apiece with a core. They carry a few parts I like including self etching primer in spray can. Advance auto carries rebuilt Motorola alternators for about 60 bucks with a core. It's hit and miss concerning Bosch now. They have factories all over and quality varies from good to shit. Beware. Also keep an eye on the people working at these places, I ask for a length of fuel hose and the man handed me vacuum hose, guess all hoses are same to him. Very Happy
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Duralast from Autozone Reply with quote

Been rockin an oil filled, China-made, AZ coil for over a year now. No issues yet but it DOES get hot after a while. When it blows up I have some rags and a used German coil ready to go! Laughing

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
kokanee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Duralast from Autozone Reply with quote

I have been running duralast starter for a auto type 3 in my gbja for over a year still going strong
Old n' slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Duralast from Autozone Reply with quote

Duralast battery 9 years old now.....only reads 11.7 on my voltmeter after sitting a day. Still starts the old 69 in any weather.

1964(sunroof)1967 & (2)1968 Beetles , 1968 Squareback , 1963 (23 window )Deluxe Sunroof Bus , 1969 Westphalia camper, 1974 Dasher , 1985 Vanagon , (2) 1981 Rabbit Diesels & a 1991 Jetta Diesel .
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Duralast from Autozone Reply with quote

I worked at AZ for longer than I'd rather state. Shocked My findings are from using their parts and what customers told me. Opinions are not VW specific.

-Wells Engine Management, Fuel and Ignition parts; A third of the price as originals and last a third as well. Their high priced ignition parts are as good as BorgWarner select which I think is better than bosch or Standard.

-Alternators/Starters; If you can find a better alternator/starter at any price let me know. I have only had one higher priced alternator last as long.

-Brake Calipars are good enough at a low price. Wheel cylinders can be iffy. Masters can be garbage.Hoses are the same as other chains and are fair.

-Engine Mounts are Chain store quality, okay.

-Harmonic Balancers are iffy. They can hold up or fail quickly.

-Radiators and gastanks are decent.

-Batteries are at least as good as DieHards and Delcos, most likely made by JonsonControls.

Brake shoes are good. For pads I would not get anything lower than Golds and anything higher is not as good or not worth the extra money.

-Drums are decent but rotors can either be good or junk.

-Belts; you get what you pay for. The same goes for wheel bearings.

-Internal Engine parts; Depends on the brand.

-Half Shafts are marginal but you get a lifetime warentee. Customers said they hold up fine but some are stiff while others are sloppy.

Other rebuilt parts are as good as the rebuilder is at that point. Cardone used to be excellent but I have had their stuff fail in a short amount of time.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Duralast from Autozone Reply with quote

Getting ready to test out a new (remanufactured) Duralast autostick starter on my bug since mine gave up the ghost this weekend and the Duralast is close by, in stock and only $50 with core.

1600 SP engine
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Duralast from Autozone Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Getting ready to test out a new (remanufactured) Duralast autostick starter on my bug since mine gave up the ghost this weekend and the Duralast is close by, in stock and only $50 with core.

Report back how it works out for ya Steve.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
74Shovel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Duralast from Autozone Reply with quote

I’ve had a Duralast starter on my ‘78 Vert for about a year now, and have not had any problems. They had one in stock when I needed it, and the price was right. I drive my Bug almost daily, and am very happily. I’m retired military, and they give me a 10% discount on just about everything I buy there.

'78 Super Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Duralast from Autozone Reply with quote

This is the first time I've ever had to replace the starter. The one I took off is genuine Bosch Made in Germany. It's lasted for at least the 10 years I've been driving this car since I got it from my folks and I kbow it was on there years before that. Hell it might be the original as far as I know. Can only hope the Duralast gives me as much usability.

1600 SP engine
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Duralast from Autozone Reply with quote

Do not surrender that OG starter as core, save it it’s better than anything currently available. I have plenty of standard cores to give them. I have an excellent rebuilder here in town able to return your German starter to service for another 50 years.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Duralast from Autozone Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Do not surrender that OG starter as core, save it it’s better than anything currently available. I have plenty of standard cores to give them. I have an excellent rebuilder here in town able to return your German starter to service for another 50 years.

Gosh I like how you think! I'd have my original German made starter or generator rebuilt every time vs. buying some third world made or restored version.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Duralast from Autozone Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

How much would he want to rebuild this one?

1600 SP engine

Last edited by sb001 on Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Duralast from Autozone Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Gosh I like how you think! I'd have my original German made starter or generator rebuilt every time vs. buying some third world made or restored version.

GOSH the reason I had not considered that option is because no one in my area does that kind of work. And I would prefer not to have to wait 2 weeks sending this thing off somewhere to have it rebuilt before I got it back, since the bug is basically my only means of transportation at the moment.
Not all of us are out to shit on original German parts. Your schtick is getting really old.

1600 SP engine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: