Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Beetle Convertible Karmann stamped numbers request
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Beetle Convertible Karmann stamped numbers request Reply with quote

I had a theory on Karmann body numbers for pre 67 verts but never thought of what the numbers were like on 68 up vehicles.

A post came up today which shows a 6 digit body number on a 70 vert.

wayne1230cars wrote:
This pic is from my 1970 bug convertible with a production date of May 4 1970. As far as I know the front clip has not been changed. The jack mounting clip was removed at some point, not sure when or why. It was a Yukon yellow.

I am puzzled about the 6 digit number as there were only 11,432 convertibles produced that year.

Any theories on this?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am thinking his car may be affected by the 1970 vin recall but do not know enough about late cars to be sure

Any vert owners want to post up their body numbers and year/month of production if known?

The more participants the better chance of a pattern that can be deciphered.

Thanks in advance.
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to clarify a couple points and details.

1). I rechecked my German "birth certificate" and production date was actually May 12, 1970.

2). However my VIN number of 150 2 758 xxx indicates first part of April 1970 production. I am assuming that the May 12 production date and left the factory date of May 14 refers to the car leaving the Osnabruck factory. I am guessing on that. I am thinking that the VIN number would be assigned to the chassis at the Emden? factory and the chassis is then shipped to Osnabruck and the car is completed.

3). As far as the 929368 body number goes, that would correspond to the last 6 digits of the May 1970 VIN numbers. Maybe that is just a coincidence. Not sure.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was working on a pretty nice undamaged (repainted) 1969 Convertible and found this 6 digit number to ad to the pool.

VIN number 15976***6
Approx - 4/1969

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Karmann stamped numbers request Reply with quote

Role calling all 68 and newer convertible Beetle Karmann stamped body numbers ..

We are wanting the stamped digits found above the jack clamp under the front hood along with a general vin to help decipher

Review and apply your information in this topic please.

PLEASE IF YOU OWN A 68 AND NEWER CONVERTIBLE BEETLE AND/OR CONVERTIBLE SUPER BEETLE POST YOUR KARMANN STAMPED NUMBERS AND WITH SOME UNDISCLOSED VIN NUMBERS IN THIS TOPIC TO HELP DECIPHER THE KARMANN CODING.

If you have a Super Beetle convertible and have found stamped Karmann numbers please post the location found, numbers and some VIN numbers as well.

This is in regards to a main Karmann production topic..

We are trying to decode post 1967 Karmann stampings for date, build sequencing vs VIN assignment.

If you'd rather PM information .. contact VOLKSWAGNUT OR Altewagon.

Want to keep information in their respective forums.

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Karmann stamped numbers request Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Roll calling all 68 and newer convertible Beetle Karmann stamped body numbers ...

PLEASE IF YOU OWN A 68 AND NEWER CONVERTIBLE BEETLE AND/OR CONVERTIBLE SUPER BEETLE POST YOUR KARMANN STAMPED NUMBERS AND WITH SOME UNDISCLOSED VIN NUMBERS IN THIS TOPIC TO HELP DECIPHER THE KARMANN CODING.

If you have a Super Beetle convertible and have found stamped Karmann numbers please post the location found, numbers and some VIN numbers as well.

OK, here's for my 1971 SB Convertible
VIN 151262xxxx
Door sticker: manufactured March 1971
Body stamping 1219342
The SB stamping number is near the windshield washer bottle on the right side (passenger side) inside the trunk; it's somewhat hidden, need to look behind the bottle, no need to remove it.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Karmann stamped numbers request Reply with quote

Seven digits!!
Murmsk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Karmann stamped numbers request Reply with quote

That area is a bit buggered up but I think my 1970 vert is stamped 039302 vin 150240###9

S
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Karmann stamped numbers request Reply with quote

My '71 super

Manf date - Jan 1971 (owned since 74)
Vin - 151 2 439xxx
stamping - 519400 (the 4 does look like it was first stamped 0 and then overstamped 4). Can post pic if needed.

based on numbers posted so far -- only common thing I see is that the last 4 digits all seem to start with 9. 93xx and 94xx have been posted so far.

Later on in 71 - perhaps starting with 72MY for supers (my 71 did not have a tag and all the 71supers I've seen pics of don't seem to have one either), there was an additional tag that had scheduled prod date, paint code, and an as yet unidentified 4 digit series that also started with 9 IIRC. Wondering if the last 4 on that tag and the last 4 on the body stamping are the same.
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Karmann stamped numbers request Reply with quote

Thanks to all.. keep them coming..

PICTURES OF THE 68 AND NEWER KARMANN STAMPINGS WILL CERTAINLY HELP MORE.

Cusser wrote:

The SB stamping number is near the windshield washer bottle on the right side (passenger side) inside the trunk; it's somewhat hidden, need to look behind the bottle, no need to remove it.

Please post a picture Cusser.. so we can see the SB area and the 7 digits as that now seems to confirm the theory more.

AlteWagen wrote:
Seven digits!!

I think the theory is coming to life. Wink

bnam wrote:
Can post pic if needed..

Please do

bnam wrote:
.based on numbers posted so far -- only common thing I see is that the last 4 digits all seem to start with 9. 93xx and 94xx have been posted so far. .

Yep.. that has a bearing on the theory.

9 being the separating stamped number theory..

AlteWagen wrote:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-914-914-6-t...lates.html

First two digits = These are the weeks of the year that your chassis was put into production. Your car started production during the eight week of the year. 08 So, your car started production in mid-February.

Third digit = This is the day of the week that your car started production. Your car started production on a Thursday. 4 (Monday=1, Tuesday=2, Wednesday=3, etc.)

Fourth digit = This is always 9. This was meant to identify the factory the chassis was built in. The number 9 refers to Osnabrueck (where the Karmann plant is). Karmann was considering building 914s in other plants but, the plug got pulled on the project. Hence, this digit is always 9 since all 914 chassis were built in Osnabrueck.

Digits 5, 6 and 7 = This is a recurring counting number that always began on Mondays at 001. Your car was chassis number 519 produced that week.

If I knew the VIN of your vehicle I would probably be able to determine its birthdate.

Actually, the number was stamped into the trunk so that the chassis could be tracked during production. The Production Plate was created then attached after the chassis had been painted.

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Now we are getting somewhere..all that Porsche information is new news to me

I was basing my theory off of the way some assemblies are tracked even today by Julian build...(hence running recalls are easier to narrow for production mistakes hahaha)

This week day tracking sounds pretty good ..except there are only max 53 weeks in a year. So no first two digits could be higher than 53.....and on a 6 digit idea..with the 4th always 9...that cant apply to a Convertible number stamp system based from the only three examples we have

Unless....the 9 is merely used as simply a divider between the week/day stamp and build number for that week.
The 69's and 70 stamps seem to indicate it may be possible?

So .this means...if the third or fourth digit are a constant 9...and the digits after 9 are build for a week that really only leaves numbers prior to 9 as a date stamp of some sort.

Karmann built approx 300-350 cars a week

To read...you start at the constant known 9 to read the unknown.

VOLKSWAGNUT submitted wrote:
15976***6

Stamp 549331

5 = Jan 69
4 = Thurs (30th)
April assigned VIN
9 assembly plant
331 car built week 5 Jan 1969

Clementine69 wrote:
159 760 XXX.

6= Feb 69
4= Thurs (6th)
April assigned VIN
9 assembly plant
315 car built week 6 in Feb 1969

wayne1230cars wrote:
150 2 758 xxx .

9 = Feb 70
2 = Tues (24th)
April assigned VIN (BC production date was actually May 12, 1970.)
9 assembly plant
368 car built week 9 Feb 1970

Hmmm..starting to add up.. this is making logical tracking and numbering sense to me.

One other thing ...I simply dont know...are there 7 digit stamps known to have been found on a Vw Beetle convertible? About March the weeks go double digits which would.. ..should make 7 digit stamp numbers ??

If so...then that's the answer.

We just need more post 67 convertible vins and stamps to confirm that theory.

And confirm the 3/4 digit as always 9.
This would also mean 2/3 digit would always be 1-7 ..

Do Super Beetles have stamped number ?

Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Tue May 28, 2019 10:02 am; edited 6 times in total
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Karmann stamped numbers request Reply with quote

These additional are perfect examples how the digits can be aligned..

Murmsk wrote:
vin 150240###9

0 = Dec 1969 which was a split week. Dec 69 / Jan 70
3 Wednesday (31st)
December assigned VIN
9 Assembly Plant
302 car built week 0 December 1969.

Cusser wrote:

VIN 151262xxxx
Door sticker: manufactured March 1971
Body stamping 1219342

(corrected)
12 March 1971
1 Monday (15th)
February Assigned VIN
9 Assembly Plant
342 car built week 12 March 1971

bnam wrote:
Vin - 151 2 439xxx
Manf date - Jan 1971 (owned since 74)
stamping - 519400 (the 4 does look like it was first stamped 0 and then over stamped 4). .

(Incorrect but corrected read post further down)
5 Feb
1 Monday
January assigned VIn
9 Assembly Plant
400 car built week 5 Jan 1971

Outstanding... Dancing

We all have to keep in mind lag times of convertible build and random VIN assignments that have been found for post 64 convertibles.

I think this is getting close

Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Tue May 28, 2019 10:03 am; edited 4 times in total
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Karmann stamped numbers request Reply with quote

Build date: Tuesday 26th Jan 1971 (per BC)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Karmann stamped numbers request Reply with quote

AlteWagen wrote:

[/quote]

93 does not correspond to a May (or even April) time frame -- more like Feb. So, this does not seem to support the theory that 9 stands for week and 3 for day of week.

Similarly, 51 (Mon Feb 1) on my car does not seem to correspond with Tuesday Jan 26th build date.
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Karmann stamped numbers request Reply with quote

bnam wrote:

93 does not correspond to a May (or even April) time frame -- more like Feb. So, this does not seem to support the theory that 9 stands for week and 3 for day of week.

Similarly, 51 (Mon Feb 1) on my car does not seem to correspond with Tuesday Jan 26th build date.

This thread has evolved since 2013 .. Wink
More has been found.. so it was recently resurrected .

9 2 is believed to be the week and day not 9 3.... and yes you're right.. that's what was stated above. Feb 70 Tues (24th) (stamp 929338).
wayne1230cars wrote:

9 = Feb 70 (week 9)
2 = Tues (24th)
April assigned VIN (BC production date May 12, 1970.)
9 assembly plant
368 car built week 9 Feb 1970

9 2 is not end birth date its early body start build date.

Read the entire post.. Read the links above

The Karmann / Porsche link describes how Karmann stamped Porshes at the early days of a vehicle start and then later was stamped again for sequencing.

The week and day stamp are the general early date time stamp a car body assembly was STARTED not the week day it was stamped prior to paint and final build (birth ) date

It very well may have been even the week day the VW base Sedan body arrived at Karmann as simple arrival tracking.

The third digit (six digit stamp) and fourth digit (seven digit stamp) "9" is the assembly plant identifier Osnabrück Germany and or.. separator.
From week day to build sequence for the month.

Granted.. this is just a theory loosely based on standard production protocol added to known Karmann Porsche stamping..

Im sure someone alive still knows.. and can prove or disprove ..and provide more facts...

It's fun to decode.. the unknown
Popcorn

Here is yours again

bnam wrote:

(Incorrect but corrected read post further down)
5 Feb 71 (week 5)
1 Monday
January assigned VIN (BC Tuesday 26th Jan 1971)
9 Assembly Plant

Here lies a common problem....

VIN birth date and Stamped numbers may not always coincide due to known lag in Convertible production compared to VW Sedans.
It has been found due to the randomness that VINS were assigned to convertibles, true convertible end build to birth dating can not be compiled or compared with Sedan production VIN timing.

You simply can not use the VIN chart when dating Convertibles..
Birth certificates have also been found to be inaccurate across the board.

I agree.. bnam's body stamping looks odd.. possibly simply a correction..
But note.. as stated the correction seems to be on the fourth digit 4 over o only..
Maybe Klaus just grabbed the wrong punch Laughing

Also.. where is this stamp location on your 71 Super Beetle.?

bnam wrote:

Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Tue May 28, 2019 10:04 am; edited 2 times in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Karmann stamped numbers request Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Thanks to all.. keep them coming..

PICTURES OF THE 68 AND NEWER KARMANN STAMPINGS WILL CERTAINLY HELP MORE.

Cusser wrote:

Please post a picture Cusser.. so we can see the SB area and the 7 digits as that now seems to confirm the theory more.

Behind the washer bottle

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Karmann stamped numbers request Reply with quote

VIN 151230###7

Door sticker shows July 1971 as month and date of manufacture.

bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Karmann stamped numbers request Reply with quote

beanlover wrote:
VIN 151230###7

Door sticker shows July 1971 as month and date of manufacture.

Looks like 295 not 205 (I think part of 9 is under the grommet). Could be 285 perhaps. But, I think 295.
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Karmann stamped numbers request Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

It very well may have been even the week day the VW base Sedan body arrived at Karmann as simple arrival tracking.

bnam wrote:

5 Feb 71 (week 5)
1 Monday
9 Assembly Plant
400 car built Jan 1971

Here lies a common problem....

VIN birth date and Stamped numbers may not always coincide due to known lag in Convertible production compared to VW Sedans.
It has been found due to the randomness that VINS were assigned to convertibles, true convertible end build to birth dating can not be compiled or compared with Sedan production VIN timing.

You simply can not use the VIN chart when dating Convertibles..
Birth certificates have also been found to be inaccurate across the board.

I agree.. bnam's body stamping looks odd.. possibly simply a correction..
But note.. as stated the correction seems to be on the fourth digit 4 over o only..
Maybe Klaus just grabbed the wrong punch Laughing

Also.. where is this stamp location on your 71 Super Beetle.?

I had theorized that the stamping had to be before paint and so not coincident with factory leave date. But, I would expect the body date to be prior to factory leave date.

Assuming my birth cert is correct, then the body build date would seem tp be later than factory leave date which does not make sense. UNLESS, Week 1 was the first week in which contained Jan 1 (some calendars do that, others show it as part of prior year), THEN 51 would be Jan 25th. Prior to the leave date.

Could a car be completed in a 24-36hours including paint? I'm not sure.

The location of the stamping btw, is where Cusser showed it. Just above headlight harness grommet behind the washer bottle.

Another related question -- what is the correlation between body number and body tag that was there on some cars (but missing on many 71s I've seen).

Let's assume my body number refers to Jan 25th (week 5 was week of 25th). And factory leave date is Jan 26t (again let's assume it was correct)

The body number is 519400. Would the body tag number have been 529400?

i.e., was the body sequence portion constant and just the week/date portion updated?

Anyone have cars that have both and can post a comparison?
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
beanlover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Karmann stamped numbers request Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
Looks like 295 not 205 (I think part of 9 is under the grommet). Could be 285 perhaps. But, I think 295.

I haven't looked yet but 29 as a week in 1971 would make more sense...that's mid July.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Karmann stamped numbers request Reply with quote

bnam wrote:

Assuming my birth cert is correct, then the body build date would seem tp be later than factory leave date which does not make sense. UNLESS, Week 1 was the first week in which contained Jan 1 (some calendars do that, others show it as part of prior year), THEN 51 would be Jan 25th. Prior to the leave date.

Could a car be completed in a 24-36hours including paint? I'm not sure.

Agreed.. in basic thinking.. week one should be the first week which contains Jan 1st.. but some of my findings suggest week numbers are based on the first Tuesday of a month..
I based my week numbers on modern interweb findings... .. it very well could be counted a week prior.

That may be the difference..

That changes the week numbering by one week.. d'oh!

Jan 1st 1971 was a Friday .. so that would mean that week would be the last week of 1970 which yes.. pushes the numbers Im using back one week.

This may also help explain some of the "0" first stamped digits found.

We simply dont know when Karmann (or Germany) considered work week ONE of a year.

You car (bnam) is an excellent number decipher of when 1971 week one may have been considered and started.

I think you are 100% correct regarding your car.

With just some basic rudimentary math.... and not considering Karmann days closed, holidays etc.. Laughing

1971 convertible production = 24273 .
12 months of production = 2023 a month built (approx avg)
7 days a week = 467 cars a week. (approx avg)
365 days a year = 66 cars a day (approx avg)

You car very well could have been in and out in a day or two.

So lets break it down one week further back as you have suggested and noted. as Jan 1st 1971 being in week 1.

It pretty much only changes the date.

bnam wrote:

corrected 1971 week dating

5 Jan (week 5 1971 German calendar)
1 Monday 25th
9 Assembly Plant

Looks spot on perfect Applause ..almost too good.. Laughing

As for Tags post 71's .. I have seen them in some topics.. .. but I simply have no idea..... too new for me.. Laughing

The other topics seem to suggest the Tags match the stamps.

As for build number (numbers after the 9 plant code) .. I feel its the number of units built and it was accumulated and stamped just prior to paint for the MONTH of production.

So in theory... your car is #400 built in January 1971.

Which seems ..very plausible with calculated number of units built vs the dating of your car.
Your car very well could have been stamped on Monday 25th painted and out by the Tuesday 26th .
It was the last week of january .. your car is 400 with an avg of 467 a week..

beanlover wrote:
bnam wrote:

I haven't looked yet but 29 as a week in 1971 would make more sense...that's mid July.

I agree looks more like 2959406 to me as well.

Great another 7 digit number.. Dancing

29 = July 1971
5 = Friday 16th
9 Assembly Plant
406 built week 29 July 1971

Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Tue May 28, 2019 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Beetle Convertible Karmann stamped numbers request Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

You car (bnam) is an excellent number decipher of when 1971 week one may have been considered and started.

I think you are 100% correct regarding your car.

With just some basic rudimentary math.... and not considering Karmann days closed, holidays etc.. Laughing

1971 convertible production = 24273 .
12 months of production = 2023 a month built (approx avg)
7 days a week = 467 cars a week. (approx avg)
365 days a year = 66 cars a day (approx avg)

You car very well could have been in and out in a day or two.

So lets break it down one week further back as you have suggested and noted. as Jan 1st 1971 being in week 1.

It pretty much only changes the date.

bnam wrote:

corrected 1971 week dating

5 Jan (week 5 1971 German calendar)
1 Monday 25th
9 Assembly Plant
400 car built Jan 1971

Looks spot on perfect Applause ..almost too good.. Laughing

As for Tags post 71's .. I have seen them in some topics.. .. but I simply have no idea..... too new for me.. Laughing

The other topics seem to suggest the Tags match the stamps.

As for build number (numbers after the 9 plant code) .. I feel its the number of units built and it was accumulated and stamped just prior to paint for the MONTH of production.

So in theory... your car is #400 built in January 1971.

Which seems ..very plausible with calculated number of units built vs the dating of your car.
Your car very well could have been stamped on Monday 25th painted and out by the Tuesday 26th .
It was the last week of january .. your car is 400 with an avg of 467 a week..

There's still a hole in the theory as it applies to my car:

As you say, approx. 450-500 cars a week were made. Would it not be more likely that #400 would be built towards the end of the week rather than on the first day itself (my car's body was stamped 51).

What could explain that?

Option A: Klaus, was truly confused. Perhaps the car's body was actually completed on Sunday the 24th. It should have been marked 47, but Klaus was new to Karmann, confused Sunday with being the first day of the week and stamped it as 51 instead. He also mismarked the body number and had to redo that. Perhaps he had a real fun Saturday evening.

Option B: Body #400 (and a few others) scheduled for late week 4 did not manage to get completed in week 4 due to some unforecasted reason and these spillover cars were completed on the first day of the following week. But, since their build sheet already had a production schedule number, that number was used.

I'm inclined to go with option B. I figure build schedules and numbers were issued at the start of body assy. That would mean body 400 had the number 400 assigned to it at the time body assy was started. When the body was completed, the date of completion, and week were appended along with plant code to get the full stamped number.
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: