Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bent front backing plate - brakes
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cjm005
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: bent front backing plate - brakes Reply with quote

I started to assemble the front brakes today - upon installing the new wheel cylinder, I noticed the brake pads wouldn't sit correctly. Upon further examination, I noticed there is some separation between the 2 pieces - the entire backing plate - and the 2nd piece where the cylinder bolts to.

I can't even move it.. Any suggestions on fixing it - I really want to use this one if I can. Could I use a vice grip to bring the two parts together and bolt them or should I scrap it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=562603
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: bent front backing plate - brakes Reply with quote

Cjm005 wrote:
- upon installing the new wheel cylinder, I noticed the brake pads wouldn't sit correctly.

How are the brake "pads" not sitting correctly? Is the problem on both sides?

I am wondering if you might have the wrong wheel cylinders!
In yer other thread, you said you got your brake parts from Wolfsburg West, but WW lists only German w/c for the front of a '65. http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/brakes/bug_brake/front_cylinder.cfm

If your wheel cylinders were in those "O.E." boxes, I doubt that they are German, so . . . . check the part numbers.
Cjm005 wrote:
I did get a nice box of parts from WW today to start putting the front brakes back together. All new master cylinder, brake hoses, brake hardware kit, wheel cylinders, pads:

Cjm005
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The backing plate is not sitting flush, thus causing the wheel cylinder to be straight, thus causing the pads to be somewhat crooked. I don't think it's the wheel cylinders, they fit fine.. when I look at both backing plates side by side, the one (above) has some separation between the 2 pieces.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=562603
offshores
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I'd try to pinch it back together by means of a vice, vice grips or a hammer. Doesn't look like it needs much tweaking to get it to where it needs to be. Good luck
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: bent front backing plate - brakes Reply with quote

Cjm005 wrote:
I started to assemble the front brakes today - upon installing the new wheel cylinder, I noticed the brake pads wouldn't sit correctly. Upon further examination, I noticed there is some separation between the 2 pieces - the entire backing plate - and the 2nd piece where the cylinder bolts to.

I can't even move it.. Any suggestions on fixing it - I really want to use this one if I can. Could I use a vice grip to bring the two parts together and bolt them or should I scrap it?

that is kindof a tough one to fix, likely the thinner backing plate is bent, however to bend it back to the right position you would need to over bend it a bit then it will spring back, however you cant over bend it without running into the thicker cylinder mounting plate.
If you can weld, maybe try to pull the two plates together with a vise grip or C-clamp then make a weld to hold the two plates together. I got a welder so that is what I'd be thinking of doing.

if you don't have a welder the thing to do is clean them up with a wire wheel in the area to tack a weld, (use some sand paper to get between teh two parts as much as you can also), then clamp them and take them to a muffler shop or local welder, they could crank that out in a minute it you have already wire wheeled, cleaned it up, and clamped it for them.

the weld(s) should be located near where the gap is large on the circumference of the round part of the thicker plate. that would be the best fix I can think of. It should be rock solid. any commercial welder shop should be able to do this for $10-$20 if you have it all prepared for them.

then take her home and re-paint it.
Joey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to figure out what's bent - the large thinner piece or the smaller thick piece. To me it looks like the smaller thicker piece but that could be the photo and the angle the pic was taken. If the small thicker piece is bent then the brake cylinder will be crooked which could cause the shoes not to sit against the larger piece. Probably the best way to straighten it out would be bolting it on the spindle and give it a few gentle whacks with a small hammer.

If the thicker piece is indeed bent then clamping the two together won't do anything as the smaller piece is thicker and stronger and the thinner piece will just conform to it and the whole thing will be bent/warped.

‘60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '65 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: