Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Velvet Green Single in MD
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Velvet Green Single in MD Reply with quote

I was so happy to see this tread pop back to the top!
So much nicer to be able to wire wheel the undercarriage whilst up on the lift!
I brushed Master Series silver/grey on my Baja Barndoor underside and was very happy with how the thicker coat kind of leveled itself over the rust pocked surfaces. The brush marks disappear also. That stuff dries bulletproof!

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Velvet Green Single in MD Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
I was so happy to see this tread pop back to the top!
So much nicer to be able to wire wheel the undercarriage whilst up on the lift!
I brushed Master Series silver/grey on my Baja Barndoor underside and was very happy with how the thicker coat kind of leveled itself over the rust pocked surfaces. The brush marks disappear also. That stuff dries bulletproof!

Interesting I will have to check that out! I really want to use the grey formula Glideking used on his truck, spraying down Dupont Nason so I gotta think about that!

So the trans was dropped off at the rebuilder. He is going to go through the RBG's too. I spent an entire Sunday cleaning the rear frame horn and wheel wells to get ready for paint. Started by scraping with a screwdriver, to scrubbing with purple power, and last some good ole wire wheeling until they were nice and clean. Then I applied CRC Rust converter.

These aren't the best pics.

Before
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After

Also now that I have a lift I find myself touching up a lot of my previous welds. Its stepping up my game for sure!

Today I got carried away and drafted a project schedule in hopes to finish this beast for my favorite VW show in September. We shall see!

Single Cab - BBXXVII Long Distance Winner
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Velvet Green Single in MD Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
Looking Great John !! Are you coming North next weekend ??

I'm really sorry Tom, that same weekend is my niece's sweet sixteen and I can't miss the party. Again I really appreciate the invite!

obus wrote:
Looking good! Nice garage setup now too

Thanks man, appreciate that! Also thanks jeremy57ride and ryans65! Keepin me goin!

View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Velvet Green Single in MD Reply with quote

Here's a shot of the Baja with the brushed on Master Series:
(And yes, that's a fully boxed frame)

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Velvet Green Single in MD Reply with quote

That thing is built like a tank! I remember you telling me it had a boxed frame but now I get to see it. The grey looks really good.

Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Velvet Green Single in MD Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:
That thing is built like a tank! I remember you telling me it had a boxed frame but now I get to see it. The grey looks really good.

The Masterseries works great. I blasted my frame and sponge brushed the Master coat on. It goes on very thick but flows and leaves no brush marks. Where I’ve had to remove spots of it for welding, it has come off hard. Good stuff.
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Velvet Green Single in MD Reply with quote

As I read up on Masterseries its MUCH more durable than the Dupont auto finish. I plan on using this truck so that really appeals to me. Some questions, it looks like it only comes in black or silver. Is the silver actually more of a grey like the commercial grey? I'd want to use this in my treasure chest area too, but I don't want it to look bad.

Burlyhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Velvet Green Single in MD Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:
As I read up on Masterseries its MUCH more durable than the Dupont auto finish. I plan on using this truck so that really appeals to me. Some questions, it looks like it only comes in black or silver. Is the silver actually more of a grey like the commercial grey? I'd want to use this in my treasure chest area too, but I don't want it to look bad.

The silver is definitely silver. I painted grey over the Masterseries per manufacturer recommendation. (You don’t have to, but I wanted the chassis to look stock) If you put the color on within a few days it will chemically bond. If you paint later, you need to scuff the Masterseries for a mechanical bond. I have done it both ways and it turned out awesome.
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Velvet Green Single in MD Reply with quote

Burlyhammer wrote:
Schwing wrote:

The silver is definitely silver. I painted grey over the Masterseries per manufacturer recommendation. (You don’t have to, but I wanted the chassis to look stock) If you put the color on within a few days it will chemically bond. If you paint later, you need to scuff the Masterseries for a mechanical bond. I have done it both ways and it turned out awesome.

You guys are right. The master series is silver. The stuff I used was definitely NOT master series. I'll have to research what it was. I think I have some cans out in the shop. I'll let you know.

Edit: It was POR 15 grey. And it is bulletproof, just not UV proof. But on the underside, sunlight isn't an issue.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Velvet Green Single in MD Reply with quote

I'm going to wait until its warmer and just keep prepping chassis and exterior body. I think the plan will be to brush paint masterseries on chassis and treasure chest area/frame and then topcoat with Dupont Commercial Grey Formula# 819615 (what Glideking used).

Ok so I decided to pull the front axle so I can clean/rebuild/paint. I picked up a set of rebuilt spindles late last year so that will be a fun job.

I discovered the previous owner RIVITED sheet metal right over the damaged front frame on both sides. So glad I caught this, it was hidden with undercoating.

RIVETS!!

Removed the sheet metal and it looked like this:

I welded in new steel. I flanged it for strength.

Also grafting in some crossmembers. I didn't realize they were this far gone until I had the lift, so I am drilling out treasure chest floor I already welded. Frustrating but now is the time to get it right. You can see the one above it is spread and needs to be replaced too. Moisture gets in between these two pieces and wreaks havoc.

jdawgthethird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Velvet Green Single in MD Reply with quote

Just saw this thread. Nice progress. If you ever need any help, I'm just across the bridge in Severna Park. I'm working on a 66 11-window right now. My pics are on Instagram @68benzoid.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Velvet Green Single in MD Reply with quote

Nice Lift !!!!!! That come w/ the new digs, or did you bring it with ????

Good catch on the frame rot, earlie repairs by past owners can SUCK !!!!!!

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Velvet Green Single in MD Reply with quote

crukab wrote:

Hey Crukab, don't be too harsh on the P.O. until we know the answer to this important question:
Were the pop rivits aluminum or steel?

Red Fau Veh wrote:
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Velvet Green Single in MD Reply with quote

j.pickens wrote:
crukab wrote:

Hey Crukab, don't be too harsh on the P.O. until we know the answer to this important question:
Were the pop rivits aluminum or steel?

Senor Pickens they were aluminum! They actually did a very nice job as far as patches go. The driver side was first tacked and then riveted, almost as though he got frustrated.

Tom I purchased the lift from my realtor's son who was gutting a carmax. In fact I bought two lifts for $1200 and sold the second one for $1000. I ran the 220v and installed it myself with the help of some friends/neighbors. I also installed a locking emergency shut off so when I travel my son doesn't get any crazy ideas.

mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Velvet Green Single in MD Reply with quote

That frame certainly had seen better days prior to your fix.

Sometimes it is good that you don't have to go through regular inspections in the US. That repair of the PO would have meant the death for the SC in Europe Sad

Looking good now. Smile

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Velvet Green Single in MD Reply with quote

mdege wrote:
That frame certainly had seen better days prior to your fix.

Sometimes it is good that you don't have to go through regular inspections in the US. That repair of the PO would have meant the death for the SC in Europe Sad

Looking good now. Smile

Thank you, and excellent point you are probably right.

I patched the driver side frame rail this week.

Finished the other 3 cross member ends. Had to drill out treasure chest floor that I already welded in years ago. Wasn't too bad.

Also picked up my transaxle I had rebuilt. Nice fresh RGB's and turned drums!
This gets wrapped in plastic and set aside.

Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Velvet Green Single in MD Reply with quote

Driver side dogleg was bothering me. It was "smiling" or kicking out at the curve. I sliced and diced it and made it worse. A friend of mine was discarding a dogleg scrap from another project so I made it work. Its bay window so I had to make a select cut.

Also welded up the relief cut to improve the door gap. Not completely thrilled with the quality of WW doglegs OR my lack of skills installing them but we can make it work.

Next up I had to slice and dice the passenger side. The issue I ran into is that the WW dogleg ships with the inner and outer already welded together. So I had to drill out spot welds to re-align the outer. Gerson would have been less work in my opinion.

Also had to resolve a mistake I made with my passenger rocker and how it mates to the b pillar. In my old shop, it was so small I never got to see this profile. It didn't meat the pillar square, so time to drill out spot welds!

BEFORE

Drilling out spot welds and clamping in place after confirming the opening is square:

Real happy now

jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Velvet Green Single in MD Reply with quote

Do I spy another beetle in the fold?! That garage space looks fantastic, truck is looking great
Schwing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Velvet Green Single in MD Reply with quote

jeremy57ride wrote:
Do I spy another beetle in the fold?! That garage space looks fantastic, truck is looking great

Good eye. Yessir thats a 66 Bahama Blue, never seen a welder, original floors, number matching 1300! This one was my dad's, when they moved it came under my watch. So we have 3 beetles now Cool

jeremy57ride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Velvet Green Single in MD Reply with quote

Schwing wrote:
jeremy57ride wrote:

Good eye. Yessir thats a 66 Bahama Blue, never seen a welder, original floors, number matching 1300! This one was my dad's, when they moved it came under my watch. So we have 3 beetles now Cool

You know... you think you've seen rust, until you buy a truck.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 21 of 28

Jump to: