Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Subaru conversion on a squareback
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JAR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Subaru conversion on a squareback Reply with quote

Hi guys this is my first time in the forum, I have a 69 square back and I'm thinking of going with a Subaru eng convertion. A couple of reasons why 1 my friend will give me a complete running 96 legazy Subaru and 2nd I've always Ben curious about that conversion. I do have mechanical experience and have worked on other vws.if any one has done it or is in the middle of doing it please let me now the pros and cons of the conversion please.I would definitely be of great help. I'm in the Monterey area and I'm willing to drive to look ta a project for reference if that's possible.

Thanks in abvance.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will stick up into the passenger compartment and ruin the style/function of owning a station wagon. I'm carrying something back there every time I drive mine on my black rubber mat from ISP West.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see if anyone has done a nice Square T3 conversion how to. There are a few fasty and notch's out there, but they have a whole trunk to spread out in.

the height could be taken care of by raising the rear cargo/hatch area and keep it "looking" stock.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:
I would like to see if anyone has done a nice Square T3 conversion how to. There are a few fasty and notch's out there, but they have a whole trunk to spread out in.

the height could be taken care of by raising the rear cargo/hatch area and keep it "looking" stock.

I too would like to see one done in a Square. I have seen a I-4 turbo diesel conversion in one which basically made the whole rear cargo area useless since it raised it to just below the windows. . . Confused I think it could be done under the deck lid if you lowered the trans some which is not hard to do. Having that extra room of a Fasty or Notch makes all this kind of stuff a LOT easier.

Nate M.

Squarsche build
Heavy Metal Affliction feature

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you google "subaru type3" you will find all sorts of treads on various website/forums.

I will be in salinas from december on and am working on subaru squareback.

You will need to change the inlet manifold to get the OG hatch to close.

Even with whole subaru car, you will have to buy:

trans adapter and flywheel $500

radiator/fan and piping

build a exhaust system

shorten the oil pan and pick up pipe.

Its far from a bolt in conversion.
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
qoopwn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=421667&highlight=subaru

Keep ion mind all the reservoirs and piping off the intake are for that turbo right there. You have more space without all that on a regular engine I believe. I've been doing my research.

Any thoughts on whether you want a EJ20 or EJ25? I think the EJ25 is a bit bigger (dimension wise) with more HP but the EJ20 is built for more torque and reliability? Correct me if I'm wrong lol
vlad01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i said it before, look at subarugears.com

some pics there.

they make the conversion gearbox, engine mounting cradle with low and high mount position, standard and extension gearbox flanges to accommodate low mount and frame horns.

I say it possible to be under the deck with the low mount position as the standard position has the intake just slightly above the deck.

if you have a rear support bar instead you can make it where you want and get it to fit.

this one has been mounted higher to clear the sump but you can get shorten sumps or make your own to allow lower engine position. its better anyway due to lower COG.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vlad, are you talking about lowering the motor and trans to make it fit under the deck?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vlad01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Vlad, are you talking about lowering the motor and trans to make it fit under the deck?

yes, just the engine lowering, the trans will tilt back fine using that suby gearbox ^ not sure if a vw box will allow any tilt? can't see why not but not much point using a vw box with suby engine anyway, gearing is wrong and it will break fairly easy unless work is done to the box.
vlad01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lower and upper mounting provisions

upper position

lower with extension flanges

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vlad01 wrote:
notchboy wrote:

yes, just the engine lowering, the trans will tilt back fine using that suby gearbox ^ not sure if a vw box will allow any tilt? can't see why not but not much point using a vw box with suby engine anyway, gearing is wrong and it will break fairly easy unless work is done to the box.

Ah, yes the suby trans would be best from what I hear and 5 speed to boot! If I convert my 77 bus a trans swap may be part of it - not sure yet. But the 091 can take it if needed.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vlad01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you also have choice of 4.11 or 3.9 diff and STI gear sets as well. if you wanted to go craszy or power there are good aftermarket gears sets. PPG of Oz do a straight cut dog set for under 5k.
Nate M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vlad01 wrote:

That oil pan hangs down pretty low. If I were doing one, I would have to modify the oil p/u and make a custom pan with a wider but shorter base like krusher talked about. I don't like that the lowest point after the wheels is the oil pan. Shocked I guaranty that it would get bashed as it is on every speed bump and/or curb as you exited.

Nate M.

Squarsche build
Heavy Metal Affliction feature

For heaven's sake, put a type4 and a Porsche 5-speed in there. . . It's the right thing to do!!
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
vlad01 wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Ah, yes the suby trans would be best from what I hear and 5 speed to boot! If I convert my 77 bus a trans swap may be part of it - not sure yet. But the 091 can take it if needed.

A ready to go subygears trans and lowering plate will run $4600, not a cheap option to get the engine low.

much cheaper fabricate a lower manifold.
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vlad01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krusher wrote:
notchboy wrote:
vlad01 wrote:
notchboy wrote:

A ready to go subygears trans and lowering plate will run $4600, not a cheap option to get the engine low.

much cheaper fabricate a lower manifold.

lol cheap skates.

you have to have a good box regardless so I can't see the point with fudging around.
gm4lnch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion on a squareback Reply with quote

Fab my intake lower. Also unless you plan to beat on it an Subaru trans isn't needed. I have a stock type 3 trans and stock (even used) PP and clutch and it holds up just fine, but mine is a cruising car so I am not racing it or pushing it hard. Only the random burnout here and there. I also have the EJ22e so it is the smallest at 140hp.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OB Customs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion on a squareback Reply with quote

gm4lnch wrote:
Fab my intake lower. Also unless you plan to beat on it an Subaru trans isn't needed. I have a stock type 3 trans and stock (even used) PP and clutch and it holds up just fine, but mine is a cruising car so I am not racing it or pushing it hard. Only the random burnout here and there. I also have the EJ22e so it is the smallest at 140hp.

Man I love that you got it under the lid! I'm starting my next project type and want to go with the EJ22
surfbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion on a squareback Reply with quote

Shoptalkforums.com in the conversions perversions section has a lot of subaru info. I made a shortened sump and oil pickup on mine. Also, a non turbo is easier. Mine is an ej20 turbo dohc and was a pain to fit in a bug, a type 3 has the luxury of space. My trans is a built type one trans and I have 175 hp dyno'd at the wheels.
grethi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion on a squareback Reply with quote

It may be a Notch, but it still fits just fine. I'm seeing more and more of these conversions out there, so I know there's a way.

'69 square
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gheezerghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Subaru conversion on a squareback Reply with quote

Hey Grethi Could I get you to post a picture of the front of your car? The exterior showing the grill and the trunk showing the radiator. Thanks man!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: