Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper Grommet Research
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Wiper Grommet Research Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out how the windshield wiper grommets (or as the parts manual calls them, ferrules) are supposed to be installed and what's available for replacements on the market.

The photo below shows my existing grommets. The left one is the inner and the right one is the outer, or at least that's how they are installed and notice how the one on the left is slightly longer. Does anyone know which would be correct for inner and outer?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The parts manual lists the inner as 111 955 261, and the outer as 111 955 265. Wolfsburg west lists a set of 4 but they only give the 111 955 261 part number. Their photo shows grommets that look a lot like my inner ones. Has anyone purchased these recently and if so, what did they look like when you got them?

Link to Wolfsburg West listing. http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111955261

Any other recent sources?

Thanks.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the ones I used on my 57, but I'm not doing a good resto so I didn't really care about quality as long as they held the frame in there for a while.....

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16%2D111%2D261W

brad
John M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to contact Don West AKA "The Wiper Guy" if your plan is a full restoration. He's forgotten more about VW wipers, wiper parts, etc. than the majority of us ever new. He sells here on The Samba and has been very helpful in the past. Call him (503) 434-3530 or email [email protected]. I think he could help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DL West-Wiperguy Premium Member
Samba's Wiperguy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Wolfsburg west seals. 2 are for the inner and 2 outer seals 4 total.
The inside seal has a slight lip that sticks out so the outer covers it.
They are good quality and last for years. Real SWF are hard to find and rare.
They have SWF logo on the seal where the washer covers it.
For years I used the complete oval set with Nuts washers seals from WW
They had the same type washers VW used 2 brass for inner under the seal
2 outer metal that could be polished. Now you get the same washers and nuts the 58-68 bugs used. So I would not recommend getting the complete set from them. Like some of the other parts they just quit making them.
12v armatures no longer available at this time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: