Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battle Jitney Syncro camper build thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Battle Jitney Syncro camper build thread Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Sick work!

I started a while ago doing the same work on power locks and windows on a '85, I gave up on the original power windows, will go Spal all revamped. Window switches at the dash to avoid too many wires. Also power mirrors. Damn, those old fuse panels don't have much sapce on them, did you upgrade the size of the main wire to the battery?

Aloha!

Haven't gotten that far but good point. I've already used all the aux power feeds on the back of the OEM fuse panel with the OEM accessories and a few gauges.

I'm going to add an aux battery with sub panel and relays but I also have a bunch of other accessories. Spot light, intercooler fan, led light bar, gauges, cockpit map lights, provisions for 12v cooler, solar controller, smallcar ac, kitchen sink ...

Lots of wiring but I'm not done so I won't post for a while. At some point I will develop a full wire diagram.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Battle Jitney Syncro camper build thread Reply with quote

I converted my tin top to a panel van using OEM transplant parts. Now I need to create panel walls for the inside. I've already got a set of Werksberg panels for the front doors and lower half of the slider door. Eventually I'll be upholstering them. For now I'll run plain black. JM has grey now too.

Some before and after photos as a refresher.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After.

I was lucky enough to find a NOS panel van door. I'm using a Werksberg for the bottom but need to make a template to cover the top.

And need to cover this up. I will drill some holes for the vents to function.

I used the old OEM panels as part of the template. I've added paper to extend the template. Unfortunately, the ABS plastic comes in 48" widths and to do these panels in a single piece requires 51". So I'll be splitting this template down the middle.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Battle Jitney Syncro camper build thread Reply with quote

I'm retrofitting an OEM jumper seat into the van. My intent is to use these brackets to hold the jumper seat, but also to use them to hold other items in place. Maybe a porta-potty or cooler or ....?

Added sections of pipe to the floor.

Welded nuts to the pedestal. And I think I went as far as a backer plate in the wheel well. I covered with seam sealer and can't really remember.

sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Battle Jitney Syncro camper build thread Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
R&R my tail lights. Liked the look of the small-ish German heckleblends.

I like how these look as well and have been looking for a set for awhile. Where did you source these from?

This German vendor combined them with the bigger euro golf gen1 taillights that gives you greater rear visibility, which are visually close enough to stock taillights that you won't show up on the "Wall of Shame" page

rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Battle Jitney Syncro camper build thread Reply with quote

Sorry to say but I don't remember who I got them from German EBay. Scotty too long ago.

Not there is room to put a swing away tire carrier brace?

rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Battle Jitney Syncro camper build thread Reply with quote

Screwing around so I repurposed some aeronautical lights to replace the red plastic side light.

I put in a side and rear LED Task lights. I used plugs so I can swap out.

Added some bars to the headlights from a 7" jeep light. E-code 7" h4 with vwguys ceramic connectors and relay kit.

R&R all the light fixtures.

86scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Battle Jitney Syncro camper build thread Reply with quote

Amazing build!

And hilarious. I throroughly enjoyed reading it........all..........today. Somehow I missed it before.

Did I miss what you used for bedliner on the lower section? Raptor? Rhino? Something else? Sprayed or rolled? I like the look of the texture.

Thanks
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Battle Jitney Syncro camper build thread Reply with quote

Thanks. My painter applies the black bedliner. Not sure the brand sorry.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Battle Jitney Syncro camper build thread Reply with quote

More work on the power accessories.

Installed the Thermo regulator relay, power accessory dash harnesses out of a donor carat, and the proper OEM fuse block.

Fished the door harnesses into the door and dash for the first final time. I sure wish I would have hacked larger holes in the pre-86 doors. In the end it worked. I only bled a little but have to admit I may have cried a bit too.

I still need to cut a hole in the pre-86 door for the power mirror control. Not sure how I forgot that!

Only a few left over wires for what I think are the power locks. Guess we will see on the next episode. Same bat time. Same bat channel.

Last edited by rmcd on Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Battle Jitney Syncro camper build thread Reply with quote

Looking good Ron, keep up the progress.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Battle Jitney Syncro camper build thread Reply with quote

Finishing up the power windows and mirrors. I have all the power lock parts and All the provisions are there for locks but I'm not going to do them at this time.

Now I'm trying to figure out the crazy mirror clutches. Mirrors only go up on driver side. Housings rebuilt, new glass, and new gaskets.

Gowesty has a nice mirror write up. FYI.

http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=76

rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Battle Jitney Syncro camper build thread Reply with quote

Back to the lights.
Had issues with the reverse light switch on the transmission. Replaced it, some bulbs I broke to make an example for the other electronics and all rear lights work.

I added a LED third brake light from a 90's Nissan Pathfinder. They have a ton of aftermarket replacement LED units for it. It also has a provision for a sprayer but you would have to drill out the hole for the washer tube to fit two lines and I had already painted the door. Yea I know!? There are limits to what I will cut into? I surprised myself.

Here is the final side marker light with a red LED bulb. Like it or hate it. Anything is better than the OEM plastic scabs.

rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Battle Jitney Syncro camper build thread Reply with quote

Prior to paint I installed rivnuts to support exterior accessory rails. Kayak rack, jack, mats, children booster seats? I put 1/16" rubber gaskets behind these and the scab lights mentioned earlier. More on these rails later.

rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Battle Jitney Syncro camper build thread Reply with quote

I like the look of the Carat bumpers. I found this set on CL for cheap as they were broken up. I used Lord Fusor two part epoxy glue and rebuilt them. Great stuff but know that it shrinks over time so MAY not make the best filler. So far so good.

I had to build in some support for the front bumpers, as well as some channels under the bumper to use as mounting points. I also tack weld in channels on top of the bumper as shown. There are some future hidden brackets for some kind of aluminum bumperettes that I will fabricate.

And these are OEM bumperettes in case anyone is curious. I will be doing something a little more utilitarian. But you get the idea.

At some point I found parts of a nackered up OEM chin spoiler that I cleaned up a little and painted. These were pretty easy installs. The OEM mounting holes already existed on the fron portion of the bumper. I added the three holes on each footwell area. I used some M6 rivnut inserts and a trip to the hardware store provided the SS mounting hardware. I used a heat gun to straighten some of the intra spoiler connections. Lines up pretty well. Hope it will hold up to a snow bank or two?

Tomorrow I will tackle the rear bumper. It kind of scares me a little!
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Battle Jitney Syncro camper build thread Reply with quote

Man does this van look clean Smile

I love the rails, I thought of doing something similar, but drilling holes makes my heart ache Laughing
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Battle Jitney Syncro camper build thread Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
Man does this van look clean Smile

I love the rails, I thought of doing something similar, but drilling holes makes my heart ache Laughing

Thanks.

Just paint and silicone the back side of the holes. Only the first one hurts.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Battle Jitney Syncro camper build thread Reply with quote

Saga of fiberglass cladding continues.

I modified the OEM rear bumper mounts with too much extra steel plate as described in earlier posts. All I reall remember is a hot welding ember melting through my sneakers into the webbing between my toes.

Here is the reinforced bumper.

The fiberglass was munched so I rebuilt it with epoxy glue that is hard like concrete. All painted up.

IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Battle Jitney Syncro camper build thread Reply with quote

I cannot wait to see this beast in person. Seriously. If I know we are at the same event, will bring my coveralls just so that I can crawl all over under it to see all the stuff you're doing. Fantasimo!!!

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Battle Jitney Syncro camper build thread Reply with quote

Thx. A buddy is going to help with the windshield then it's off to DoubleJ Motorwerks to final the small car AC connections and maybe strive the front diff. At that point it will be a driver again. Fingers crossed.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Battle Jitney Syncro camper build thread Reply with quote

Finished the carat door cladding.

Bentley OEM measurements are off. I hate how the front door cladding typically does not follow the door body line that is 1/2" away. I was determined to measure correctly and not have mine tilt. I'm here to say OEM Bentley measurements are wrong. I had to redrill the carat mounting pieces to have the front part match the body line. That sucked.

Now I need to adjust the front and rear bumper returns so they alight with the same body line and aren't sloped down. Not sure I can fix the rear.

I like the look of the front spoiler with the cladding.

Also bled the new rad and smallcar AC system. Used a Libby bong. FINALLY got hot coolant to flow to the new AC system. Took a few rounds.

Fan and switches all worked fine. Not sure about trinary switch or rad fan. Need to test that a bit more. New compressor isn't inline yet. Maybe in a few weeks?

Pardon the tape. Its there to prevent garage rash when I inadvertently drag parts, me or dead bodies by the van.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: