Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro camper
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
esmukarlis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Syncro camper Reply with quote

Hello sirs!

While ago I started to dream about going across North and South America in one epic road trip. While thinking about different ways how to do it, I came up with a plan.

1) Buy a van in Europe, where I live;
2) Rebuilt and upgrade it as a camper;
3) Get working holiday visa in Canada to earn money for traveling;
4) Get my van shipped across the pound;
5) Start an adventure.

There are few reasons why I wanted to start with rebuild here at home. I have access to workshop with all necessary tools and I wanted to learn as much as possible about fixing my van.

Already at beginning I was quite sure that I am going to buy Vanagon. Soon I got a offer to buy one. At first it looked good, but soon I realized that it will take a lot of welding work, but I was ready for it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After a while I saw local classified about pop top roof. As there were no offers for pop top roofs in more than a year, i jumped in my Passat and went to see it. While roof owner showed me around I could not take my eyes off silver Vanagon deep under dust. Word after word and I made a deal with owner to sell it to me.
It was staying under roof from 2008, when he bought it for camper rebuild, but situation changed project stopped. I convinced him that I'm going to take good care of it and go to great adventures.

Here are some pictures of it on way to new home.

A little bit more about van itself:
As you may guess it is as Syncro. Orginaly it came with 1.6 diesel, but when I bougt it was without any engine. Gearbox and front diff was removed with engine, but guy I bought it from gave me gearbox and front diff from another van and both of them got diff locks. Body in in great shape, only little rust in some spots and under one of side panels. Overall I could not imagine better deal I could get for money I spent!

Future plans:
Rebuild suspension with new parts;
Engine conversion to 1z tdi;
Pop-top roof;
Custom made camper interior;
New paint job;
Go to adventure.

This is not going to be huge budget project as I am still studying, but if you guys are interested, I can keep posting about this rebuilt!
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro camper Reply with quote

oh im totally keeping an eye on this and expect to meet you in person when you come through seattle and portland area Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
87vanwes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro camper Reply with quote

I'm in as well. Lots of pics please... Popcorn Popcorn Popcorn

1987 westy syncro tdi conversion and restoration.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro camper Reply with quote

Popcorn

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro camper Reply with quote

That trailer is dope.

J
esmukarlis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro camper Reply with quote

I got a chance to take 2 week vacation and what would be better way than spend it in garage with dirty hands! Very Happy

Finally I was able to begin real work on my van! First I moved it to friends garage were all further work will happen. Also I had a chance to clean and fully inspect everything. Body is in better shape than I tought. I seems that only minimal welding will be needed under one of side panels.

After inspection real work started! As I planed to do full suspension rebuild first step was to strip everything down. It took some fights with rusty bolts and bushings but after some hours bottom frame, front-end, Eberspracher heater and everything else was putted next to van.

As I could not leave van in middle of garage, we needed to build something under van to move it around yard and store in another building. It may look a little bit crazy, but it works great and it has attachable part so I can just attach to car like trailer and get to other building.

While I am thinking about gearbox upgrade. As I am planning on 1z TDI without chip and do not plan to do hardcore offroad I guess I will upgrade 4th gear to taller (maybe 0.70, but still need to calculate that) and live without additional oil cooler, but maybe add oiling plates. So my question goes for guys on my side of pound - Europe - Where are you buying gear pair for Syncro gearbox? I found only one option that was around 480 EUR per pair and if I compare it with Weddle 280 USD (230 EUR) per pair it seems a huge difference. For that 200 euros difference I could buy some other stuff I may need for rebuild.
esmukarlis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro camper Reply with quote

Oh wow, it's almost 5 years since my last post!

What originaly started with one 2wd and one 4wd Vanagon, has been endend with 3rd and 4th van as well.

Long story short - now I have a 2wd travel camper thats currently with me in USA and Syncro waiting back home in dry garage.

A little bit more about our current van!

It all started with rusty tintop with camper furniture:

Then for 200 euros I got a chance to buy this thing in superbad condition, but hey - pop top roof was in decent shape - just changed canvas, gas springs and new liner!

From these two vans our current ride happened!

Specs:
Its blue
It has 1z TDI engine
Renault UN-1 gearbox
Reimo pop top roof
Reimo furniture
100w solar with 140ah batteries under front seats (had a 200w solar but I did pretty bad on fixing it in front roof luggage place, but thats another story)
65 litre truck fridge
Recaro seats in front
Fantastic vent in roof

We already done some miles in United states and currently we are enjoying beaches at Hilton Head Island, NC.

So far everything is good, but there are a problem with my engine swap - I did use wrong vacuum scheme for wrong turbo and now half of the time I need to ride in safe mode as ECU cuts of the power.

That bring me to a moment where I need to ask for a help from you guys!
Our plan for next weeks look something like this:

I am looking for someone who has a driveway or garage, drill and a welding machine. I need drill a hole in my intercooler piping and weld on something to put on a small tubing that goes to ECU to read pressure from intake manifold.

If someone lives near our route or somewhere else around it (after Tennessee we plan to go somewhere across to West coast) and could help with place and tools, that would be wonderful! Hit me a message if you could help us out!

Have a great day everyone!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: