Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aluminum High top design
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which hightop version is the best?
I like version 1
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
I like version 2
13%
 13%  [ 14 ]
I like version 3
39%
 39%  [ 40 ]
I like version 4
24%
 24%  [ 25 ]
I like version 5
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
I like version 6
18%
 18%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 101

3dig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum High top design Reply with quote

Thank you Pedrokrusher for your kind words!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3dig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum High top design Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
Since it would be prohibitively expensive to ship this bad boy to Germany, can I buy a set of schematics instead?
I like the Weinsberg style!

Lets chat via email and work something out! Ideally, yours would be one of 20 in a container, but I need European orders...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum High top design Reply with quote

Could you post some shots head on from the front and rear?

How tall is it from the gutter to the highest point/or how much higher than a westy top?
Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift
Custom Bumpers with receivers
Coast Mountain Hightop - Comming Soon

1985 2wd Vanagon Pre-runner in the making
soon to be powered by 2.5L Subaru
Custom Lift
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum High top design Reply with quote

How much higher is this the the WB top?

What's the weight of the top?

I like it, I'm glad you committed and that rear bumper is great! Does the front bolt to the existing uni-bumper? With storage that might be a long front, sacrificing approach angles?

Keep it up👊
3dig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum High top design Reply with quote

dkoesyncro wrote:
How much higher is this the the WB top?

What's the weight of the top?

I like it, I'm glad you committed and that rear bumper is great! Does the front bolt to the existing uni-bumper? With storage that might be a long front, sacrificing approach angles?

Keep it up👊

Weight of the top, aluminum only, is 165lbs
gutter to top of top is @ 24"

As for the front bumper, I have yet to remove the original to see what Im up against. Your right on the storage vs the uni bumper. Storage may be limited.

Remember, the height of the top is subject to customer needs. It just so happened a customer and my self are both 6'-2", hence the finished height.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum High top design Reply with quote

3dig wrote:
Weight of the top, aluminum only, is 165lbs....

Any idea what a fiberglass Weinsberg weighs?

Beuler?

Beuler?

Beuler?
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum High top design Reply with quote

The NAHT weighs 110lbs. The Weinsberg is shorter but it has more interior structure.
3dig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum High top design Reply with quote

MayorMcCheese wrote:
The NAHT weighs 110lbs. The Weinsberg is shorter but it has more interior structure.

Just to clarify, there is aluminium structure on the interior. Perfectly suited to hide 1" insulation, and attach paneling.
yiucycle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum High top design Reply with quote

Do you have interior pic? also what will be the cost of shipping to california? or you planning to run through a distributor? thanks for the work.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3dig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum High top design Reply with quote

yiucycle wrote:
Do you have interior pic? also what will be the cost of shipping to california? or you planning to run through a distributor? thanks for the work.

Interior structure is a T shape. Drawing is shown with the minimum structure. Depending on use of the Alumatop™ more structure can be incorporated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am getting a quote for shipping to Ca.

I was approached by a well known to Samba distributor much earlier in this process, I need to reconnect.

Thank you, and more to come.
3dig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum High top design Reply with quote

Team WorldTour wrote:
3dig wrote:
Weight of the top, aluminum only, is 165lbs....

Any idea what a fiberglass Weinsberg weighs?

Beuler?

Beuler?

Beuler?

Sorry no Idea.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum High top design Reply with quote

3dig wrote:

Maybe it is just the CAD drawing, but I may suggest that instead of having the 90°corners on the 2nd bulkhead inside cutout you use a small radius on the interior corners. It will resist stress cracking better. ( I think you may already know this!)

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
3dig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum High top design Reply with quote

The cutouts on the bulkheads are TBD ATM I need to source a flush hatch on the forward one, and a cutout in the aft one big enough for the hatch to make the fwd dry storage accessible when the top is down. Good point tho I use radius corners throughout. I've built over 400 aluminum boats, and have seen what stresses do to sharp corners.
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum High top design Reply with quote

Fantastic work. It wouldnt take much to talk me into hauling these from our area to sunny California, especially in the winter.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
3dig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum High top design Reply with quote

Playing around with this idea...Clam style tent option:

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum High top design Reply with quote

^^^ That's a nifty guesthouse! It's not something that would work for my needs but if one has a kid or two that'd be a nice place to set them up.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
3dig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Aluminum High top design Reply with quote

Finally, got a website up. Still setting up the pricing page..

www.mtbakermetal.com

Thank you!
scottz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum High top design Reply with quote

3dig, your tops look great!

Where in Bellingham is your shop located?
3dig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum High top design Reply with quote

Shop is on C street first set of building on your left.
give me a text so I can meet you at the perimeter fence.

Cheers!
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Aluminum High top design Reply with quote

Is that bumper aluminum?

EDIT: I see from your website that it is. Awesome to have a lighter weight option with bumper mounted swing aways. I'll be hitting you up for that shortly!

J
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 16

Jump to: