Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fuel tank size 73bus
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Revel_stoked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: fuel tank size 73bus Reply with quote

Well I'm pretty sure that they are standard 15us gallons(57 liters)cause I thought I was having the worst gas mileage ever,then checked to see how many liters it took to fill at half tank and it only took 15liters.So really it should be reading 3/4.It shows full though when filled.But ya can someone verify that or is it only 10gallon?Thanks Mike
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a 15.8 U.S. gallon tank. Fuel senders/gauges on this vintage bus have a habit of losing calibration in your favor, i.e. at reserve mark on gauge, you still have a quarter tank. Run a couple of tanks to determine your average fuel mileage. Then fill the tank, multiply your mpg X 8 and drive that distance. Your correct fuel gauge should be at 1/2.
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Revel_stoked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks colin,I figured the sender was a little out of whack.I'll do that multiplication to get a better idea of where the 1/2 tank is.Thanks
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is picking nits, but the early bay window tank was 15.9 gal and the later one was 14.6 gal. Once in a while the topic comes up wrt how much fuel you can cram into the tank during fillup and it turns out that it depends on which tank you have. I'm not sure which year (72,73,74) the tank changed but the difference in numbers will affect your mileage.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratwell wrote:
This is picking nits, but the early bay window tank was 15.9 gal and the later one was 14.6 gal. Once in a while the topic comes up wrt how much fuel you can cram into the tank during fillup and it turns out that it depends on which tank you have. I'm not sure which year (72,73,74) the tank changed but the difference in numbers will affect your mileage.

The Bentley Manual suggests that all bays were 15.8 US/13.2 Imperial/60 Litres. I really do not recall any little 14.6 job?
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You two fightin' again/... ok, well, anyway... colin, you say to<< Run a couple of tanks to determine your average fuel mileage. >>

but, if you cant run it down to zero, how will you actually know? What your average is?

for example; I put in 12.5 gal at 32,567 mi ( give or take 100,000 miles... ) and now I'm at 32,797. thats 240 miles multiplied eight times I get... 1840. thats either the year of the first successful hot air ballon flight over Paris or i'm getting astronomical fuel economy. 'splain please.
westy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
ratwell wrote:

The Bentley Manual suggests that all bays were 15.8 US/13.2 Imperial/60 Litres. I really do not recall any little 14.6 job?
Colin

The Bentley must be wrong. Richard is correct the later bays had the smaller 14.6 gallon tank. I'm not sure when the change was. That is the spec in the back of my owners manual. Its also on page 77 here http://www.type2.com/bartnik/t2manual.htm

VW Campmobile, it goes on vacation with you.
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bentley has a few goofs in it that hopefully Stan is correcting for future printings as he receives and verifies the corrections.

There is a 68-71 tank which is 15.9 gal. A 72-mid 73 tank, a mid 73-75 tank and a 74-79 tank for FI. Looking into it closer I believe all 72-79 tanks are 14.6 gal and the various changes during 72-74 have little to do with capacity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ratwell wrote:
Bentley has a few goofs in it that hopefully Stan is correcting for future printings as he receives and verifies the corrections.

I have an early 73, (mfg date 12/72) have never run it dry, and the most I ever crammed into it was 15.2 with the gauge well below R.
The things we learn around here. . .
Colin
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bottomend wrote:
but, if you cant run it down to zero, how will you actually know? What your average is?

for example; I put in 12.5 gal at 32,567 mi ( give or take 100,000 miles... ) and now I'm at 32,797. thats 240 miles multiplied eight times I get... 1840. thats either the year of the first successful hot air ballon flight over Paris or i'm getting astronomical fuel economy. 'splain please.

Okaaaaay. 12.5 into 240 is 19.2 mpg X 8 is 153.6 miles. Soooooo, fill it up, drive 154 miles and you should be at 1/2 tank on your gauge. You get a B for Creative Writing, a C- for comprehension, and a D for Math.
See me after class.
Colin
Revel_stoked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,ratwell,so ya 14.6 gallons 55 liters give or take a little,so my gauge is reading 1/2 tank when it should be 3/4.On my next fillup I'll take the odometer reading and start calculating.Mike
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank capacity is just the tank not including the filler tube which holds about 1 1/2 quarts.
Bottomend
Grease

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will not talk in class I will not talk in class I will not talk in class I will not talk n class I will not talk in class I will not talk in class I will not talk in class I will not talk n class I will not talk in class I will not talk in class I will not talk in class I will not talk n class I will not talk in class I will not talk in class I will not talk in class I will not talk n class I will not talk in class I will not talk in class I will not talk in class I will not talk n class I will not talk in class I will not talk in class I will not talk in class I will not talk n class I will not talk in class I will not talk in class I will not talk in class I will not talk n class I will not talk in class I will not talk in class I will not talk in class I will not talk n class I will not talk in class I will not talk in class I will not talk in class I will not talk n class I will not talk in class I will not talk in class I will not talk in class I will not talk n class I will not talk in class I will not talk in class I will not talk in class I will not talk n class I will not talk in class I will not talk in class I will not talk in class I will not talk n class I will not talk in class I will not talk in class I will not talk in class I will not talk n class
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: