Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Keeping the faith?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Keeping the faith? Reply with quote

I'm starting to second guess myself with my syncro and I'm curious what others think.

Earlier this year I decided to have my mid life crisis I guess you could call it. Laughing I decided that I was going to quit my job, hit the road and go travel until I couldn't do it anymore or became tired of doing so.

I originally bought a class b RV which was a full size ford van with a camper top. Had everything under the sun inside but was big and bulky. I traveled around New England this summer but I found myself using my truck more than the RV.

I was stealth camping and the RV was just far too obvious and it really wasn't much fun to drive. I sold it and continued roughing it in my truck over the summer and started my search for a new adventure vehicle.

I looked at a lot of options and finally settled on a Vanagon. It was the perfect size and I had always wanted one since high school as a friend of mine had a westy that was awesome.

After a long search I located my tin top syncro and started working on it, but it's an 86 and I'm a bit weary the typical problems that will likely arise with a vehicle of its age.

I love the van, but I'm pretty scared of it at the same time. I'm planning a very long road trip. Sometime after the first of the year, I'm leaving from FL and heading west. I want to see the country and live on the road, I expect to be out there at least 6 months if not longer.

My Truck is a Tacoma pre runner, so it's the 2wd version that looks like it's 4wd. I have no worries that it would leave me stranded broken on the side of the road, but of course not being 4wd is a downer.

I've recently found a old 4wheel pop top, slide in camper that will fit in the back of my Tacoma. It needs some work, but it's cheap and with the stuff I've already bought to do my camper conversion on the Syncro, fixing it up would be pretty easy and quick.

Due to this I've started second guessing my Vanagon and I'm curious what others that have been there done that think. I'm starting to wonder if I'm putting having the perfect adventure rig, ahead of the adventure. I think it's going to take me several more months to get the van ready. Meanwhile I could likely have the Tacoma ready by Mid December.

That would mean, I could get a early start the beginning of the year vs a unknown start date with the van.
seanjenn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the Tacoma and get the hell outa there!
Fix up the Syncro later when you have the time to really get into it.
....or just trade me, your Syncro for my, long distance ready at the drop of a hat Westy. Cool
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seanjenn wrote:
....or just trade me, your Syncro for my, long distance ready at the drop of a hat Westy. Cool

Well the other issue, is I'm not sure if I'm being hyper critical of the syncro and thinking that I need to rebuild everything on it. It's starts, it drives but honestly, I feel like I should rebuild all the front end and likely do the cv's all the way around, along with all the other things that usually gets done.

Maybe it needs it, maybe not, but it would suck to not do it and then need it after something breaks.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seanjenn wrote:

X2 - Get a locking diff for the Taco, good tires and hit the road Exclamation 4-wheel camper is an excellent choice - Go-Man-Go!
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have confidence in your ride to get you from point A to point B....... That's NOT the ride for you.

In your case, it's Toyota time!

Though know this........ we will all sneer and spit upon you as you pass us going up hills!

You can now be one of those old guys at campgrounds who ambles over and talks about his gone by glory years when HE used to have a VW Camper........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Toy -Van Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Take the toy, I love mine. Would take it across the USA anytime. I love my Syncro to, more fun to camp in and drive. And I would drive it anywhere anytime. But to get it to this point takes lot's of money! More then the Toy will cost you, and you can leave sooner take the Toy. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
seanjenn wrote:

X2 - Get a locking diff for the Taco, good tires and hit the road Exclamation 4-wheel camper is an excellent choice - Go-Man-Go!

It already has the locking diff. I took it quite a few interesting places but wish it had 4wd, although I didn't get stuck anywhere. Just close once or twice. Shocked
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second guess my rig all the time and think I should be doing all kinds of parts replacement and maintenance. But guess what, I haven't and it always gets me from point A to point B no problems. Be smart about it, but don't be afraid to drive it. Use it as a daily driver for a while to gain confidence, but also get on the road and just drive it. It will be part of the adventure too.
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PDXWesty wrote:
I second guess my rig all the time and think I should be doing all kinds of parts replacement and maintenance. But guess what, I haven't and it always gets me from point A to point B no problems. Be smart about it, but don't be afraid to drive it. Use it as a daily driver for a while to gain confidence, but also get on the road and just drive it. It will be part of the adventure too.

^This. Anything can break down, even your Toyota. I have a yota in my fleet and I love it, absolutely one of the best rigs I've ever owned, but it left me stranded this summer, and it's a very well maintained rig. Heck, I've seen a brand new Chevy pickup blow up the transmission with only 700 miles on the clock.

I'm going to say you should take the vanagon. Fix it up a bit, get a AAA card and go.

Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Summers420us
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote for the vanagon. I find my trips a bit more interesting when I take the van. I tend to go a little slower and take my time. This helps not to miss anything fun.

Like others have said, something like AAA helps put you at ease in case something comes up. And there is the vanagon rescue squad.

Lastly I vote for the vanagon because of the whole VW family aspect. It is fun to meet other enthusiasts that will come out of the wood work.

Enjoy!
spacecadet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about to do North Carolina to California first week of January- with a slightly leaky automatic transmission. It shifts great and hasn't gotten worse in 10,000 miles- I just cant afford a German Transaxle, yet..

It makes me a little nervous, but I'm prepared- I'm actually carrying a known good Automatic section with me and seals/tools(as well as my usual spare parts box for long trips).

2 years ago, friends of mine left Pittsburgh for LA in a Ford Van that didn't start! I remember trouble shooting the issue the day they were trying to leave. Got it to start, they closed the doors and waved goodbye.

Awesome I thought.

The thing drove until it lost a wheel bearing in Texas and destroyed the stub axle. They hitch-hiked to LA from Texas- worked jobs- purchased a "new" van and returned to Pittsburgh- 1 year after leaving.

4x4? Who needs it! You planning on rock climbing and mudding? I rough around in a Jeep Cherokee on weekends and 99% of the time it's in 2WD even in the thick of the bush. I only engage 4WD when I feel the tires spin-
The voice of my pap echoing, "only when you need it".

I don't own a Syncro- but that hasn't stopped my Vanagon yet.
1986 Mercedes 300 Coupe (Sold)
1954 Volvo PV544 (Sold)
1990 Dodge D250 Cummins (Totaled)
1990 Vanagon GL 2.1 Automatic (Sold)
1968 Ford F250(Current)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the Toyota, and leave the syncro with me. I promise I'll take it out and walk it everyday while you're gone. Very Happy

"I don't know you well enough to care about your comments". Watkins Cravey
Red Beard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add that 4WD is probably over rated, it sounds like a necessity but in reality doesn't get used very often and there aren't really that many places where you even need it. My brother and his GF just spent a year living in a 2wd van, and they are major outdoors types (mountain biking, climbing, hiking, etc.) so pretty much spent all their time in the wilderness. He did not think that a lack of 4wd limited him significantly.

As far as Vanagon vs. Toyota truck with camper....I am another firm believer in the reliability of those trucks (I have an 85 4runner with 22re that I've driven all over hell and high water without a hitch.) I would trust my truck way more than my van (which is actually newer, a 1990), but say goodbye to the stealth camping advantage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are making it harder for me.. Laughing

Honestly, I think my Toyota has spoiled me as it's needed nothing the entire time I've owned it, out side of typical maintenance and two sets of tires.

Prior to that I usually had cars/trucks that I'd have to fix things on from time to time, but I've never done a extended road trip like this.

Far as the wanting 4wd, it's more of a insurance policy if anything.. I tend to randomly go explore unknown trails and so forth if I see something interesting on the map or just want to see what's there.

It would be a nice option to potentially get myself out of trouble as I'm usually alone when doing this.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a winch. I used to get syncro fever/envy at least once a year. We love our camper, but it does not even like wet grass on a hill. Our 68 camper was much better in slick conditions.

I am now the proud owner of a running syncro with a beat body. Before I had it, the dream was to convert my sorted camper into a syncro. Now that I have the syncro donor, it is a butt load of work that I currently don't have the time for.

I would think the parts support for the Toyota would exceed that of the Vanagon when on the road, but if you are not in a hurry, the vanagon parts are out there, and there is a good community to support you with the vanagon. I would never embark on a cross country trip in any vehicle without going over every system thoroughly. But I am anal that way.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask yourself whether you would look upon an unexpected breakdown and the associated task of getting back up and running while on your trip as a hassle or fun part of the adventure. There are people in both camps. If you're in the second I would say;

- depending on what kind of maintainance the Syncro had before you bought it, you may not have an adequate amount of time to shake out the glitches before your trip.

- you REALLY DON'T need 4wd to see the country. I know how these discussions can turn into a p-ssing match and I hate to be the guy who draws first but I could post tons of photos of my 2wd JETTA in some really remote spots in the Rocky Mtns and desert southwest. My work also takes me to very remote spots. Clearance and good judgement are key. Carry a shovel, maybe some sort of sand ladder/boards, and stay the heck away from bentonite roads if it's going to rain. You'll be fine. I think most places where a 4wd is REALLY needed are actually hard to find and you probably wouldn't just stumble on them.

Last edited by SCM on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
spacecadet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsxsr wrote:
I would never embark on a cross country trip in any vehicle without going over every system thoroughly. But I am anal that way.

Not crazy- I agree!
1954 Volvo PV544 (Sold)
1968 Ford F250(Current)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCM wrote:

- you REALLY DON'T need 4wd to see the country. I know how these discussions can turn into a p-ssing match and I hate to be the guy who draws first but I could post tons of photos of my 2wd JETTA in some really remote spots in the Rocky Mtns and desert southwest. My work also takes me to very remote spots. Clearance and good judgement are key. Carry a shovel, maybe some sort of sand ladder/boards, and stay the heck away from bentonite roads if it's going to rain. You'll be fine. I think most places where a 4wd is REALLY needed are actually hard to find and you probably wouldn't just stumble on them.

^^^ this ^^^

Places where 4x4 are needed are also really dangerous places to get stuck.
Got 4x4? Get stuck worse.
When you get that far out and get stuck, you're counting on others to get you out. And that reduces odds on a happy ending.

I'd take the truck.. That truck will get you places you may not have dreamed of. They are extremely capable vehicles. Good clearance, LSD.
..and THEN.. depending on how much you enjoy it? Come back and get hell bent on bringing that syncro up to par.

Its kinda funny.. I have a 4x4 for the first time in yrs.. but its an old school transfer case.. and after several trips this summer, I never got to the point where I had to get out and engage the hubs. The 2WD LSD did the trick.
Now I *could* have pushed into areas where I wanted the front to pull me.. but its maybe one or two miles total on some 2 or 3k driven.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
spacecadet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
Places where 4x4 are needed are also really dangerous places to get stuck.Got 4x4? Get stuck worse.When you get that far out and get stuck, you're counting on others to get you out. And that reduces odds on a happy ending.

Like this! a month ago..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and no winch Embarassed

We got lucky and another rig came by and helped pull us out... but it took 4WD to get us there.
1954 Volvo PV544 (Sold)
1968 Ford F250(Current)
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the problems I've had with the truck and no 4x4 were on my trips around New England on various Forrest trails. It wasn't so much mud, but rather rocks and inclines.

It seems to be Murphy's law that as you come across a semi steep incline, there is almost always rocks in just the right places that require the ability to pull up and over with the front wheels.

While I wasn't doing what I'd consider serious rock climbing, it did happen that a few times I couldn't get past obstacles like that.. One time I had a hell out a time getting back out of a trail as I had to back up a semi steep incline. The only way I got out, was by letting air out of the rear tires.

With 4wd it would of pulled right out. Granted I know it's not the end of the world, to not have 4wd, but it sure helps out, when you need it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: