Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Keeping the faith?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

funagon wrote:
For me the deciding factor is the interior layout and walk-through design of the vanagon. If you're going to be living out of/living in your vehicle, I wouldn't want to always get out of the truck and walk around to the back to enter the camper.

When the weather's bad, or you're stealth camping, it's really nice to pull into a spot and "walk-through" to the back of the van.

I would suggest getting the VW in decent running shape. Then take some weekend camping trips to nearby places. If you like sleeping/camping in the van that might help you make the decision to put more money into the van.

Getting out of the truck and getting into the back is in it's self the biggest deterrent to going with the taco and the slide in. Added draw back is stealth is also very hard with the pop top.

Far as using the van to see how it goes, well the inside is stripped because it was a passenger that I'm converting to a camper and the tires are horrible. I pretty much have to commit to at the very least to putting new shoes on it before I can drive it.

On the plus note, I put new rubber on the two vacuum lines that come off of the intake and it's getting closer to idling, not quite there yet but seems better than it was. I also noticed a fuel line leak, so I will have to fix that.

I will also admit I am leaning more toward the syncro again, despite the work it needs. It's just completely different vibe, than the truck and topper.
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the syncro gives off a different vibe, no doubt.. it is YOUR vibe that will or will not attract interesting people and interesting experiences.

During our travels this summer, I met two of the more interesting people over all the years of travel. I was not driving the VW.. but a generic white un-interesting SUV.

Its about letting it happen.

If you have your heart set on the syncro, by all means go for it.. but know when to plug the plug and bail out to the Tacoma if things don't come along.. I can't tell you how many boats sit idle in the marinas of this world because the owner, with grand dreams of sailing off and away, can not or will not call it good enough to go.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Keeping the faith?"

It would be nice to have a vehicle that did not require faith to keep it running. Especially if that vehicle is used to access remote areas.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
While the syncro gives off a different vibe, no doubt.. it is YOUR vibe that will or will not attract interesting people and interesting experiences.

During our travels this summer, I met two of the more interesting people over all the years of travel. I was not driving the VW.. but a generic white un-interesting SUV.

Its about letting it happen.

If you have your heart set on the syncro, by all means go for it.. but know when to plug the plug and bail out to the Tacoma if things don't come along.. I can't tell you how many boats sit idle in the marinas of this world because the owner, with grand dreams of sailing off and away, can not or will not call it good enough to go.

Well what I mean, is the van is a conversation starter.. I don't even have my van on the road and I've talked to half a dozen random people that when I brought up I was getting this or that for a vanagon, they mentioned that they had a old bus or westy.

Drive around living in a old vanagon = dude on an adventure

Drive around living in a truck = creepy dude

Drive around living in a old random van = serial killer or kidnapper..

Laughing
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j_dirge wrote:
While the syncro gives off a different vibe, no doubt.. it is YOUR vibe that will or will not attract interesting people and interesting experiences..
Well said Applause! Typical for me, I went to get water in a campground, met an older couple originally from New Zealand, living in a 5th wheel and truck. I would up talking to them for 1/2 hour at least, toured their trailer, etc.

I get back to the campground, my wife says "where were you?". "Met someone". Her reply "I knew it"
Love Vanagons, bugs, old cars, Land cruiser. Heck I love Toyota trucks - but your vehicle does not define you.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first met Foster Huntington he was in a Syncro in Santa Cruz CA.
here are a bunch of his photos of live aboard vehicles
http://van-life.net

he went to Mexico and back,
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

later I found him in Big Sur.
http://vimeo.com/46271767

After that I heard his syncro died and he upgraded to a Toyota.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
When I first met Foster Huntington he was in a Syncro in Santa Cruz CA.
here are a bunch of his photos of live aboard vehicles
http://van-life.net

]

From what I read about him, it wasn't the van he disliked, but rather the cost of repairs. I got the impression he was not doing the repair work himself but rather falling to the mercy of random shops.

For myself, I'm capable of fixing pretty much anything mechanical that I'd need to fix, aside from tearing apart the gearbox and I'm not real good with electrical or fuel injection. Hence the reason I've had a bit of trouble figuring out my engine issue. I'm sure that's stuff I will learn as I go if I take the van.

Far as changing out stuff like front end parts and going through all the wearable things or swapping out the engine or tranny, I'm fine with that kinda stuff.

My desicision might be made for me as far as the taco and the slider I'm considering. I've still yet to see it as the owner has been out of town, but I'm getting the feeling he is waiting on another person that was interested in both his truck and topper.

I've waited a week just to see the thing, but if he doesn't get with me by tomorrow, I'm just going to commit to the van and start ordering parts.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAV!D wrote:
I've waited a week just to see the thing, but if he doesn't get with me by tomorrow, I'm just going to commit to the van and start ordering parts.

Sometimes fate chooses the path. Very Happy Happy trails, no matter which route you take.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAV!D wrote:

Drive around living in a old vanagon = dude on an adventure

Drive around living in a truck = creepy dude

Drive around living in a old random van = serial killer or kidnapper..

LOL, I hadn't considered that! All very true and should be considered.
mblotz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

long time syncro owner here, after 5 syncros and always lusting after sportsmobiles (and hoping for reliabilty at the same time) i decided to sell and do a "build your own sportsmobiles" with an e350, 7.3psd, 4x4, colorado camper van pop top etc etc etc. after many trials and tribulations with that rig, i sold it, i worked on it MUCH MUCH more than any syncro i have ever owned (subi motors rock BTW) and we got tired of never being able to take trips cause the van needed work.

I ended up looking at four wheel campers for my drop dead reliable 02 toyota tundra that i already owned, and ended up buying one. long story short, before delivery, i ended up working for the local four wheel camper dealer on a part time basis--still do--working on campers and vehicle build outs. anyway, i love my tundra/fwc combo, and have camped more in it in the last yr of ownership than most of my rigs before. I've taken it on knarlier 4x4 excursions as well (areas i probably had no business being). trust in your rig really inspires confidence, and i would drive this rig to Tierra Del Fuego tomorrow (after i get new tires-ha). stress free trips sure are nice i must admit, just gas up and drive, not spending the week getting ready.

that said, i love my syncros, and came across a deal recently on syncro #6 i am building right now, ive had VW vans in my blood for most of my life and that will never change. but toyota/fwc combo is hard to beat.

ps, tacoma's are actually our favorite at the shop matched to a FWC. ive built some killer TACO's in the last yr, starting a huge build soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: