Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Hey, I'm just glad you go it going again, and can enjoy it. Sometimes you have to do what you've got to do.

Yep, and the wife is happy now. She wanted to take it to the liquor store last Saturday night! Laughing
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

Hey, I'm just glad you go it going again, and can enjoy it. Sometimes you have to do what you've got to do.
In 06 I bought a custom built all "new" MOFOCO engine for my Notch. Yes, I'll bear the jokes on that one too, but it's been the car almost 10 years now without any issues other that heat soaking mechanical fuel pumps. It's also built using an early all aluminum case, which probably had a ton of machine work done before they built it. At the time, I didn't have time to rebuild a fresh engine for the 06 Invasion, and the current at the time engine was very tired. As it turned out, other things conspired, and we didn't attend the 06 Invasion. But I've been extremely happy with the engine.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

Yes, another long block.

Believe it or not, I ordered it from GEX (and yes, I'm prepared for the jokes). Smile
As I said earlier, with us putting our house on the market I'm out of time to work on it. We can't show the house with an engineless car in the driveway and an engine in pieces in the garage. Plus, I have to put rocker arms and pushrods in my Ranger's engine, so the car has to be running now. My brother and I swapped it out again last weekend.

They sent me an engine with a 1971 "U" case, with case saver inserts on all the head studs, and before shipping they called and asked me to send the flexplate to them so they could set the end play (which I checked before installation, and it was .004"). It came with an Elring gasket set, and they had the cam plug installed the right way for an automatic. So far it's running well, so we'll see. Smile

When time allows, I'll take my build apart to see why it seized.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
Day 4 on engine #2...so far so good, and the fuel gauge is working now. I haven't looked at engine #1 yet. Here it is at the Publix parking lot...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Uh, did I miss something? Did you find another engine and install it?
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

Day 4 on engine #2...so far so good, and the fuel gauge is working now. I haven't looked at engine #1 yet. Here it is at the Publix parking lot...

Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Maybe just a stuck starter/solenoid? Fingers crossed for something simple and stupid (and easily fixed)

I'm hoping that's the case. It was running so well...
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Pull the valve covers & see if you find something amiss in there. Houses take months to sell/finance/close escrow, so take the engine out & fix it since you don't want to be towing it to your new house! Wink

Thanks Mike, I'm going to pull the valve covers but haven't had time to do it today.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

Maybe just a stuck starter/solenoid? Fingers crossed for something simple and stupid (and easily fixed)
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

Pull the valve covers & see if you find something amiss in there. Houses take months to sell/finance/close escrow, so take the engine out & fix it since you don't want to be towing it to your new house! Wink
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

Looks like I spoke too soon. I drove the car for 2 days, with nary a problem. Then last night I got in to go to town and it wouldn't start. As in, it wouldn't turn over. I tried turning the engine via the generator belt , and the engine appears to be seized.

I'm mystified. The break-in was by the book, with no noises or smoke, smells, etc. Then it drove fine for 2 days, purring like a kitten. Now this.

We're putting our house on the market, so I can't tear it back down right now. I'm not sure what my next step is...
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

Oh yes, I'll be driving it every day. Smile
I'm thinking you're right about the sender, but I thought I'd give it a while and see if it revives. I can use the trip meter to know when to gas up in the meantime.

Everything else is working fine.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
Back on the road today -- and it only took me 50 weeks! Embarassed

Now I've got to figure out why the fuel gauge stopped working...

That's ok, Brian Fye works about that fast too. Laughing

You'll probably need to pull the sending unit out, and drop the outer cylinder, and clean up the insides, as it's been sitting for 50 weeks. It's probably something on the thin wires keeping it from working. The other option, is to leave it alone, and drive the car.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

Back on the road today -- and it only took me 50 weeks! Embarassed

Now I've got to figure out why the fuel gauge stopped working...

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Donnie strickland wrote:
Yes, the shims are stuck in place with grease. I didn't put on a new o-ring yet, in anticipation of this problem.

When pulling the pinion shaft, will it help to rotate the engine to encourage the shaft to move up and out?

I think I'd just rotate the shaft as you pull up, not the engine.

Yup, that's how I'd do it.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
Yes, the shims are stuck in place with grease. I didn't put on a new o-ring yet, in anticipation of this problem.

When pulling the pinion shaft, will it help to rotate the engine to encourage the shaft to move up and out?

I think I'd just rotate the shaft as you pull up, not the engine.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
Well, I got the engine in, fluids in, and tried to set the timing...but my distributor drive is one tooth off. Evil or Very Mad I can't turn the distributor counterclockwise quite enough.

I'll have to try and pull the pinion with the special tool. In all of my years of working on VW's, I've never had to use one. Any tips or tricks?

As you know from installing the distributor, there are shims and a spring which can fall into the case. Have a magnet and flexible grabber handy. I would remove the hold down nut for the bracket and lift the whole assembly, rather than try to wiggle the distributor alone (with a thick new o-ring) out of the bracket. You may or may not be able to do this with the shroud flap rod in place, though.

If you put grease on the shims when you installed them, they should stay in place in the case for you. Otherwise this is a worrisome process and you should be prepared for (and have patience for) the worst-case event, which is some of those parts dropping into the case, requiring removal and probable disassembly.

Or maybe that's just my paranoia talking...
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

Well, I got the engine in, fluids in, and tried to set the timing...but my distributor drive is one tooth off. Evil or Very Mad I can't turn the distributor counterclockwise quite enough.

I'll have to try and pull the pinion with the special tool. In all of my years of working on VW's, I've never had to use one. Any tips or tricks?
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

I sure hope so...next month will be one year! I never dreamed it would take me this long. Life gets in the way, dang it.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Elm Green A/T FI Squareback Reply with quote

Donnie strickland wrote:
Almost there...

Looks like you're getting close to putting it back in.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: