Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any plumbers around? Relocating a shower question
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Any plumbers around? Relocating a shower question Reply with quote

So, I am relocating my shower to open up my bathroom a little bit. It was on an inside wall (3 walled shower, I am converting it to two walls, and two walls of glass). I am moving it to where the white box is in the picture. My question is, on the other side of the enclosed hallway is an outside wall (with insulation). Is it ok to move to the shower to the wall that is on the inside of the hallway (dead space). I am not moving it to the very outside wall but I want to make sure I don't have freezing issues. I am in Denver where it gets below zero maybe 7 days a year. Will this be ok or do I need to insulate more? the very outside wall IS insulated. I hope this makes sense!

p.s, I figured id ask here because it is a smart group of people here!

Picture of the bathroom
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Diagram of the bathroom because the first picture is hard to understand
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My house and all like it in my neighborhood have supply piping running up an outside wall to the master bath. We're in SE Michigan, where it gets below zero a few times a year. It takes a long time and wastes water before it warms up, but nobody has ever had a problem with freezing. Just make sure you have insulation between the pipe and the outside, and not between the pipe and the inside. You should definitely cover the pipes with that foam insulation, it will save energy and probably guarantee it'll never freeze.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a plumber but I followed my buddy the plumber around while he did our house and asked stupid questions Smile It rarely gets below 0 f here but all the pipes on outside walls were outside of the actual wall in the living area, you may want to sacrifice 3.5" and run them in a false wall between the shower and the real outside wall.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
julrich366
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a plumber, but have done a lot of home renovations over the past 30 years. As Zeen says, as long as you have adequate insulation on the outside wall you should not have a problem. If you want some fairly cheap "insurance", add fiberglass pipe wrap or closed cell tubular insulation on the pipes themselves. Did a bathroom remodel similar to yours for my parents old house in Toledo about 20 years ago -- they never had any freezing problem in the 15 years or so they lived there.
Good luck.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be fine...... As long as the Outside wall is insulated.

Stupid question...... Why not redesign that closet and utilize that dead space for infrequently needed item storage?

Rip that side closet wall down......
Build some shelves in the newly created alcove....
Still have shelves in the original closet as well.

Extra towels, extra pillows, extra sheets, gobs of smart purchase toilet paper..... Whatever.

You are paying taxes on that SF....... Use it!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Any plumbers around? Relocating a shower question Reply with quote

busmania wrote:
So, I am relocating my shower to open up my bathroom a little bit. It was on an inside wall (3 walled shower, I am converting it to two walls, and two walls of glass). I am moving it to where the white box is in the picture. My question is, on the other side of the enclosed hallway is an outside wall (with insulation). Is it ok to move to the shower to the wall that is on the inside of the hallway (dead space). I am not moving it to the very outside wall but I want to make sure I don't have freezing issues. I am in Denver where it gets below zero maybe 7 days a year. Will this be ok or do I need to insulate more? the very outside wall IS insulated. I hope this makes sense!

p.s, I figured id ask here because it is a smart group of people here!

Picture of the bathroom

Diagram of the bathroom because the first picture is hard to understand

I did a shower renovation in the master bathroom where I removed the tub for a walk in shower. I installed foam wrap on the pipes and also insulated all of the interior walls (shower and bathroom) to impede any air leaks and also for sound control.

The other bathroom in the house shares a common wall, and when I last renovated it I insulated all of the walls for the same reasons. When the A/C kicks on that bathroom is the coolest room in the house, and when the heat heater is turned on in the winter that room is toasty.
69 Jim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully that clamp on light is only temporary... Very Happy
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69 Jim wrote:
Hopefully that clamp on light is only temporary... Very Happy

I'm surprised you didn't comment about the built-in shelves. The taller one can hold a beer bottle Very Happy
bowtiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

Stupid question...... Why not redesign that closet and utilize that dead space for infrequently needed item storage?

Extra towels, extra pillows, extra sheets, gobs of smart purchase toilet paper..... Whatever.

Dave

I agree , there is a lot of wasted space in that area , that can be utilized for storage and we all know that gets Big points with the Misses ..

I would place a backing on the new plumbing wall and insulate around the pipes as well
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

I agree , there is a lot of wasted space in that area , that can be utilized for storage and we all know that gets Big points with the Misses ..

I would place a backing on the new plumbing wall and insulate around the pipes as well

Yeah, I am throwing the idea around but im also trying to have this done by November 1st. THe nice thing is, I can always go in later through the closet wall (which would have to come down anyway if I were to expand into the dead space) to open up the dead space without touching anything in the shower.

I will be adding drywall between the two 2x4s on the side of the dead space where the water lines will come up from and then I will also insulate the pipe and the area within the 2x4s. Cant be too careful. Although I have restored an entire home before meeting my wife, she does not think I can do projects like this so I HAVE to make srue it does not leak or freeze later on down the line or she may not let me do another project again. Im slowly building trust as far as home repairs. shit drives me mad.
bowtiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by installing shelving in the dead space and fully insulating around it , you would guarantee no frozen pipes .

Plastic vapor barrier is also a great idea on exterior walls ( between studs and sheet rock ) .
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowtiebug wrote:
by installing shelving in the dead space and fully insulating around it , you would guarantee no frozen pipes .

Plastic vapor barrier is also a great idea on exterior walls ( between studs and sheet rock ) .

A plastic barrier is not necessary.

You Don't Need a Vapor Barrier (Probably)
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep utilize the dead space...it appears that it is a ceiling area below it as there is no insulation in it. Frame up some shelfs ad a cabinet door it will look fine when completed.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utilize that space now.
The tools are out, the house is a mess already!

Why do it all again? Yes you can do it later........ But WHY?
Penny wise........Pound foolish.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Utilize that space now.
The tools are out, the house is a mess already!

Why do it all again? Yes you can do it later........ But WHY?
Penny wise........Pound foolish.

Dave

Yep, the closet wall came down yesterday. I bought a new circular saw, sawzall and drill and was like "well, now I need a project to use them on"...so the closet wall came down and construction began! I am a HUGE believer in "pay once, cry once" so I figured it was best to do it now rather than later. I will be framing the new closet space today. it is going to open up the closet so much which of course the wife loves. Thanks for the advice everyone.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: