Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OEM Stereo Woes
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

Aloha!

I ran in to another Heidelberg IV stereo the other day, but with a different part number, 161035180C instead of 155035180A

It turns out it`s the same product with 2 different part numbers. The M code option is supposed to be R92 but is R82 here.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, this unit was rebuilt, so the part number had a X suffix. 161035180CX
They apply a special label for these rebuilt stereos

More pictures:

The connectors are specific and you won`t find any picture searching with the part numbers, so here they are:

Black connector 191035455B for front speakers

White connector 191035455C for the rear speakers, grey is the speaker minus and is often joined into one wire to run towards the rear speakers.

Some wiring info taken from another post

wbailey2112 wrote:
I've reposted this in various places in the forum multiple times now. If you use the search functionality that's available within the forums you're likely to find the answer without asking the question.

There are many threads on this forum covering stereo wiring. Just matching colors is never the best approach to take but it is the easiest and I guess you could get lucky.

Below is the "van side" of your wiring. You will need to check the manual of the radio to confirm the "radio side" of the wiring. I personally would start over from scratch.

taken from www.Vanagonauts.com

Year(s): 1980 - 85 Vanagon stereo wiring colors
Red - Power (fuse 9)
Brown - Ground
Blue/Grey - Illumination. There are two wires, the wires are pigtailed at the radio (wire comes from behind the driver console, connects to the radio, then goes onto the illumination light for the 12v accessory/cigarette lighter)

Red/Brown - Right front speaker (+)
Brown - Right front speaker (-)
Red/Brown - Left front speaker (+)
Brown - Left front speaker (-)
Note: the wires for the left and right front speakers are bonded together similar to home stereo wiring

Blue - Left rear speaker (+)
Red - Right rear speaker (+)
Grey - Left and Right rear speaker (-)
Note: the rear speaker harness contains only 3 wires - shared left and right rear speaker (-) You'll need to run an additional ground wire for the rear speakers or use a floating ground adapter.

Year(s): 1986 - 91 Vanagon stereo wiring colors

Power leads
Constant 12V+ -------- Red/White
Switched 12V+ -------- n/a
Ground ------------------ Brown
Illumination ------------ Gray/Blue
Dimmer ----------------- n/a

Front Speakers
Left Front (+) ----------- White/Black
Left Front (-) ------------ Brown/White
Right Front (+) --------- Green/Black
Right Front (-) ---------- Brown
Rear Speakers
Left Rear (+) ------------ White/Black
Left Rear (-) ------------- Brown/Black
Right Rear (+) ---------- Green/Black
Right Rear (-)------------ Brown

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

Hi Don!

It was a great pleasure to meet you yesterday as well!
Indeed, you blew my mind with your electronics knowledge!

I also figured out my resistance problem Smile

They are all gonna be connected in series, just a parallel wire at the end of each resistance to a switch to close that particular loop of series to use it, only one switch ON at any time Smile

Aloha!
DigiMatrix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

Hi Alika, I read the other article and based on that info, I bet that you want to connect to pins 3 and 6 of the la3161 chip (output side) of the amplifiers plus ground. Aloha and very nice meeting you yesterday! I appreciate you taking the time! If you are ever back Vancouver way, let me know, I'd like to repay the hospitality. Don
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

Hey there!

I too have a Heidelberg IV made in Japan by Matsushita.

would like to install a 3.5mm Jack to listen to music, not using those inefficient fake cassettes.

I will prolly add Bluetooth too, for now just the jack.

I'm following the instructions on this site https://www.instructables.com/id/AUX-IN-and-Bluetooth-for-Every-Car-Casette-Player/

I need help identifying the integrated circuit OUTPUTS where I could solder my jack INPUT before disabling the said chip.

My stereo is older than the one in the article and is a marvel of old electronics combined with quality precision mechanics. I know nothing about electronics but I think I found 2 possible chips, not sure which one is the correct one to work with.

Wiring routing before disassembly:

Funny fact, there's a ladder switch below there to take power from the L&R output from the tape head to power the forward and rewind LEDs. When the plastic switch is pushed in on the circuit by some internal actuator, ground green has continuity with the red wire for the forward LED. Pulled out, green with blue in reverse.

I

So now I have 3 chips to choose from and I'm stuck at this stage and need help

Chip BA337, an integrated circuit, but located the furthest away from the connections of the tape head. It has 9 pins in a row.

Chip HA12047, a dip 18 integrated circuit made by Dolby. Pin 6 and pin 12 unused, not soldered. It's a noise reduction circuit, but that's Chinese to me. Located half way across that board.

Then, this chip which I think might be the correct candidate, closest from tape head connections.
8 pins in a row. I followed the red ( right) wire from the tape head connection and the series of components, it lead me to pin#2. I'm not sure what to think now, the diagram says #1...
Part number LA3161

Cassette switches. These will need to be used to simulate the use of a cassette when playing from an auxiliary source.
Red and yellow have continuity when cassette in.

The ladder switch has the plastic portion pushed in. No cassette, continuity between blue and purple. Cassette in, continuity between blue and red. No continuity on forward & rewind

Thanks for your help on the chip Wink
DwarfVader
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

chase4food wrote:
Merian wrote:
I wonder about the HiFi of a low bit rate xfer medium like Bluetooth...

Bluetooth specs has been in constant evolution. Countless features, functionality, and performance enhancements have been added since its early slow start. Do take note that technology like this always have to provide support for backward incompatibilities with legacy devices. It takes two to dance, so if one device cannot support the newer and better feature the operation will fall back on one that mutually support.

BT audio spec is very complicated. But the gist is there is a baseline mandatory CODEC that all devices must support, and many other optional CODECs with increased performance as well as implementation differences.

If your devices is relatively new - within the last few years, you should expect reasonable performance. Do note that most of these CODECs are lossy. From what I heard, Apple's Carplay has lossless audio CODEC support, though I can reasonably it is only both devices (source and sink) supports it.

Also it's dependent on what kind of Bluetooth your device (transmit or receive) can deal with... A lot of devices on the market meant to connect to your stereo are Bluetooth mono, as they are intended for phone calls only, making sure one has a Bluetooth stereo device is imperative.

I'll find my van someday, or it will find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

Merian wrote:

Bluetooth specs has been in constant evolution. Countless features, functionality, and performance enhancements have been added since its early slow start. Do take note that technology like this always have to provide support for backward incompatibilities with legacy devices. It takes two to dance, so if one device cannot support the newer and better feature the operation will fall back on one that mutually support.

BT audio spec is very complicated. But the gist is there is a baseline mandatory CODEC that all devices must support, and many other optional CODECs with increased performance as well as implementation differences.

If your devices is relatively new - within the last few years, you should expect reasonable performance. Do note that most of these CODECs are lossy. From what I heard, Apple's Carplay has lossless audio CODEC support, though I can reasonably it is only both devices (source and sink) supports it.

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

You should be able to expect equivalent fidelity to CD quality stereo performance. No multi-channel support like Dolby Digital or DTS. I use it to watch Netflix movies all the time with my camper's sound system. I tried HBO Now and their app screwed up big time. It pass DD stream to the head unit which of course just throw up its hands. Rolling Eyes

what Isolde wants Isolde doesn't always get, 4 I know what is best for her - Liebe macht frei
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

http://beckerautosound.com/upgrade-radios/3126974

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

Is Bluetooth high fidelity?
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Me?
I'm still rocking old school OEM audio.

Music is no more than background noise when I am fighting to stay alert or my Wife dozed off.

Most of the time we watch the countryside slip by, I listen to the Van (it's always talking to me), the wife and I chat and we do at times listen to audio books for hours on end. (Most recently "A Walk in the Woods")

As long as I can hear it (I tend towards deaf) and it isn't garbled and tinny...... I'm good!

Also, I keep it because I like the look of the old radio, it belongs there.

I just cleaned out the volume knob control because of static when adjusting, works great now.

I added Bluetooth music and phone via a cassette adapter and a Knivo Bluetooth setup.
I am happy with my classic tunes.

Dave

There is nothing wrong at all. Good to see someone's audio need is easy peasy. Great to see you manage to bridge the Bluetooth gap with a cassette adapter using the magnetic gap of the cassette pickup head. Very Happy

Bluetooth is so indispensable that is the main reason for my head unit updates.

djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

Me?
I'm still rocking old school OEM audio.

Music is no more than background noise when I am fighting to stay alert or my Wife dozed off.

Most of the time we watch the countryside slip by, I listen to the Van (it's always talking to me), the wife and I chat and we do at times listen to audio books for hours on end. (Most recently "A Walk in the Woods")

As long as I can hear it (I tend towards deaf) and it isn't garbled and tinny...... I'm good!

Also, I keep it because I like the look of the old radio, it belongs there.

I just cleaned out the volume knob control because of static when adjusting, works great now.

I added Bluetooth music and phone via a cassette adapter and a Knivo Bluetooth setup.
I am happy with my classic tunes.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

Merian wrote:
it's not just fidelity, and not just music systems, radios, etc.

German cars have a poor record on reliability of various electrical systems - all the way down to power windows on BMWs

I sometimes think the Germans just don't understand electricity very well

maybe the country's cultural expertise is limited to mechanical systems, beer and chemicals

I will give it to the Germans for their electronic drivetrain control systems, and these include ABS, traction control, and extremely sophisticated dynamic driver performance enhancements. And of course the safety nanny for the constantly driving distracted. Just look at Porsches'. Siemens and Bosch have much of the OEM market cornered.

Now, I done it. We totally side tracked this thread. My apology! Embarassed

chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:
...I simply want to hear music while driving down the road in a steel can, which is far from being a concert hall.

I saw an interview with Neil Young where he essentially said just that (he was driving an old car with the radio on at the time).

He said he could tell if a song/singer was any good just by listening to them on an old car radio - didn't need modern equipment to enjoy the music.

There are countless example of that. Even being an audiophile most of my life, I in recent decade, has been enjoying music more than enjoying the hi-fi systems. However with my recent audio update to the Vanagon Westy, I started to audition all my mobile audio systems. I thought the one in the James Cook sound very good, until I compared to the revised and simplified system in the Vanagon. I was so blown away and it remind me listening an excellent pair of small bookcase Celestion high end speakers decades ago. It did not have super low bass, but has excellent imaging, high end, and most importantly mid range and mid bass. The attack of the clear uncluttered transients are something to behold, often difficult to obtain with speakers with more elements.

Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

it's not just fidelity, and not just music systems, radios, etc.

German cars have a poor record on reliability of various electrical systems - all the way down to power windows on BMWs

I sometimes think the Germans just don't understand electricity very well

maybe the country's cultural expertise is limited to mechanical systems, beer and chemicals
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
...I simply want to hear music while driving down the road in a steel can, which is far from being a concert hall.

I saw an interview with Neil Young where he essentially said just that (he was driving an old car with the radio on at the time).

He said he could tell if a song/singer was any good just by listening to them on an old car radio - didn't need modern equipment to enjoy the music.
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
jchughes05 wrote:
My 91 has a Heidelberg unit, and it squeals when I play tapes in it, any idea what's wrong with it or how I can fix it??

Thanks!!!

Do a Google search for "cassette tape player squeal"; lots of potential repairs come up. Smile

chase4food wrote:
I love most things German, but not so much when it comes to modern (by this I mean this day and age) consumer electronic and audio, especially automotive audio.

Japanese brand car audio runs circles around them

^That's a personal opinion. For audiophiles who demand premium sound reproduction, they desire the best components regardless of continent origination. For those who simply want to hear music as they drive, the OEM equipment is just dandy. My Cabriolet would still be sporting its Heidelberg IV (which I have in storage), but I prefer simplicity in this modern era of music portability: SD card/aux input, no tape player or bulky CD player and a stack of cassettes/CDs to carry around. The OEM speakers were just dandy as well, until they croaked (I will admit, the 3" Alpines I put in the rear are great; Alpines wouldn't fit up front without modification, so I went with Kenwood instead).

My van came to me with an (ancient) aftermarket Blaupunkt cassette player retrofitted, which had a dead LCD screen and no aux input of any kind. I replaced that Blaupunkt with a Kenwood, then a Sony (both of which sucked), followed by an inexpensive, retroish-looking BOSS (which has been awesome). I simply want to hear music while driving down the road in a steel can, which is far from being a concert hall.

No argument about we all have our relative difference on our desire for the degree of fidelity in our mobile audio. I listened once of an interview with a very well regarded jazz musician. He enjoy music just fine from listening to a boombox.

Of all the vehicles I ever own, The Westfalia Vanagon has the best acoustic, so makes for an excellent blank canvas for one to design a great sounding system. Recognize when most vehicle is being driven the noise floor erodes 1/2 to 2/3 of the dynamic range, that does not negate my want to have excellent sound. We spend a good deal of time camping in them in wilderness so to me I want to have an excellent sound system - without breaking the bank, and I don't have to.

Recently I rip out ~$1000 worth of CD changer, amplifier, and a head unit, and replace them with one $103 head unit. It hugely improved the overall system sound, but with the biggest windfall. Power consumption is cut down to 1/3 or more. At even a very loud listening level, the average current consumption is around 1.5A (of course this is impossible to quantify due to highly dependent on the music content, i.e. the energy density of it). There is no need for subwoofer nor external amplifier to consume battery power we all try to be carefully budget for its use. Further by keeping the built in equalizer set to level power consumption is kept minimal. Each 3-dB increase of setting typically doubles the power required to drive the speaker in the given equalization bandwide. The most power hungry is cranking up the bass gain.

Today, it is the golden era for consumer of aftermarket mobile sound equipment. All the few remaining brands are competing for a very small pie and they are all neck to neck in features and performance. What I have to spend near $1000 20 years ago's dollar can be have for 1/3 of today's dollar. A $100 head unit today outperforms a $500 head unit then, and have all the features that manufacturers would tier them to sell up.

Sorry for the long digression.

I thought I would add a photo of the current consumption playing at 20 volume setting, playing a jazz CD. Naturally, it only convey a rough idea as the current consumption is highly dependent on the music at the moment the reading is taken. However the average current is much lower.

chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

jchughes05 wrote:
My 91 has a Heidelberg unit, and it squeals when I play tapes in it, any idea what's wrong with it or how I can fix it??

Thanks!!!

Cassette tape transport has a lot of moving parts inside. Many of them has rubber wheels for their frictional characteristics. There is also a slip disk (typically a felt pad sliding on a nylon disk) on the takeup spindle to accommodate the viable diameter of the tape spool. The kingpin of the cassette that regulates the tape so it run at constant speed regardless of the diameters of the two tape spools (dispensing one and the collecting one) is the capstan which also has a rubber wheel. All these rubber parts don't do well over the span of two decade as the rubber continues to vulcanize, oxidize. Then there are the abuse they take form users lack of hygiene in keeping their cassette from dust and grits. In some older transport design the rubber friction wheel at the capstan does not retract when one turn the cassette off after playing. Overtime the rubber wheel ceases to be round...

You might be able to service some of these parts, clean and lubricate the bushings inside. Servicing cassette transport in a DIN size head unit is not a job for average person as the inside is jam packed with PCBs, interconnect harnesses. Often you have to unsolder something just to be able to remove it.

For a very long time, Japan made cassettes (I am referring to the cassette medium) are the only ones I would buy due to their superior quality in the magnetic tape and the design of the slippery mechanism inside.

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

jchughes05 wrote:

Thanks!!!

Do a Google search for "cassette tape player squeal"; lots of potential repairs come up. Smile

chase4food wrote:
I love most things German, but not so much when it comes to modern (by this I mean this day and age) consumer electronic and audio, especially automotive audio.

Japanese brand car audio runs circles around them

^That's a personal opinion. For audiophiles who demand premium sound reproduction, they desire the best components regardless of continent origination. For those who simply want to hear music as they drive, the OEM equipment is just dandy. My Cabriolet would still be sporting its Heidelberg IV (which I have in storage), but I prefer simplicity in this modern era of music portability: SD card/aux input, no tape player or bulky CD player and a stack of cassettes/CDs to carry around. The OEM speakers were just dandy as well, until they croaked (I will admit, the 3" Alpines I put in the rear are great; Alpines wouldn't fit up front without modification, so I went with Kenwood instead).

My van came to me with an (ancient) aftermarket Blaupunkt cassette player retrofitted, which had a dead LCD screen and no aux input of any kind. I replaced that Blaupunkt with a Kenwood, then a Sony (both of which sucked), followed by an inexpensive, retroish-looking BOSS (which has been awesome). I simply want to hear music while driving down the road in a steel can, which is far from being a concert hall.

2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chase4food
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: OEM Stereo Woes Reply with quote

drumbum68 wrote:
My factory deck is a Matsushita/Panasonic.

My factory deck is a German made blank plate. I ordered the "Radio Prep" option so there would be crappy paper cone speakers with puny magnet. Of course that is the cost to have the speaker holes precut, and the speakers went to the trash fast.

There is one universal constant beside Pi. It is all auto factory audio sucks for what they charge you, regardless if it is a Yogo or your fancy pant Ferrari. Does not matter if it is badged as Bose, Infinity, or B&O. The car makers will squeeze out every last penny and charge you handsomely for the sell-up options.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: