Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aftermarket A/C systems?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BusNut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Aftermarket A/C systems? Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I am new to the VW scene. I have owned my 69 bus now for about a month now( bought it at the Bug Jam in Florida). Yes I drove all the way from TN to FL with the intention to buy a bus and trailer it back home. I did and I LOVE it! Even more than my boats(didn't think that was possible!) I have tried looking on the net for info on a aftermarket AC system for my bus(I know, kinda strange talking about that in Dec. but just trying to plan ahead). I was wondering if any of you have seen such a kit for the VW bus. Would it be easier to buy another bus and try to swap the parts over? The only busses that I have seen w/ factory air have been the ones with the pancake engine. Would any of these parts be compatible( compressor, brackets, ect.) with the stand up engine? ANY info on this would be GREATLY appreciated! I have tried myself to find out some info on this with no luck. Figured it was time to ask the experts!!! THANKS - BRIAN
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Gilmore in Florida makes what I think is a very good kit.

http://www.gilmore-enterprises.com/

Lats time I talked to him he was not finished making the underdash unit for the bay buses. However, he can take an original under dash and make it work. He installs new fans and wiring. The kit is an easy DIY install.

They key to his (or any other modern system) is the compressor. The old York unit took a LOT of horsepower (I've heard numbers as high as 14hp) and was hard as hell on the engine. The modern units are vastly more efficient and the Sandon he uses pulls only around 1/4hp. I believe it puts out around 17,000 btu's. He also uses modern coils and fans for the underside of the bus which are smaller and lighter than the originals.

The only problem other than the compressor that I've heard of on bus A/C is that the coils are mounted horizontally under the bus. If you drive on a lot of gravel roads the gravel gets kicked up onto the top of the coils where it gets trapped by the fins and vibrates around and eventually causes leaks. I've had two different old VW mechanics tell me that gravel wearing holes was the #1 problem with the systems when they were new.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BusNut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

66kg70sc - THANK YOU VERY MUCH for the quick and informative response. That is exactly what I was looking for. Funny, I used to live in Clearwater, FL for about 15 years. I usually go back there once a year to visit my friends for New Years. Looks like I have another reason to go there now. THANKS AGAIN!!! - Brian Very Happy
AZ_Ron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have AC in our '79 that we just got, although the compressor belt is missing... I'm not sure if the coils are good or not. I plan on having it checked out before next summer. We'd gone to the Arizona Bus Club meeting a few weeks ago, and spoke with a few of the members about the AC compressor and it was mentioned how bad the old ones were...I'd very much like to exchange this one for a newer one. I'll speak to the "club mechanic" and see what he thinks!!

R
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save your old York compressor. I have heard tell that the off-road boys pay good money for them. Apparently they use them as on board air compressors on their jeeps or some damn thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: