Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

lil-jinx wrote:
That got to make you smile.

Ear to ear!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GfunkBus76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Awesome and detailed work.

Good luck on the project!
It Runs! -- http://youtu.be/kT5hOtwiOgk
And drives! - https://youtu.be/rVkoAgeOop0
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Finally had a free weekend to devote to the bus. Knocked off the decades old Earl Scheib paint and layed on a coat of filler primer. Little bodywork on the rear quarter and it'll be ready for paint. Next up is tubs and a narrowed beam.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Oldbikedoc wrote:
Next up is tubs and a narrowed beam.

After riding in a buddies narrowed/lowered bus for the first time, it really is a shame to go through all that time, effort, & money to destroy the ride of a vehicle.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Destroying ride quality and breaking hearts since 1983. Not stopping now (Dropped 66 Squareback I built in high school and period correct girlfriend image to make my point)

AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Started this project five years ago, first call was to Nate at Wagonswest. Finally ready for his bit of suspension Magic. 4" narrowed beam, dropped spindles and 3.25" horse shoe plates. Target is 6" drop on stock rims.

Pulled the beam by myself with a handful of jacks to make it easier. Other than being a ton of work, it put up very little resistance.

Now to sort the ball joints and then get it all back together.
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Bit more progress. Ball joints suck, ground off the tops, popped the ball out and tagged each with a sawzall until they gave up. (Thanks YouTube for the guidance!)

Should have the beam assembled and in by next weekend.
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Nice progress.. I saw your pics on FB (I was one of the other guys that got their slambayspecial in the mail at the same time). I had rebuilt torsion arms already waiting on the shelf, so I jumped on mine hard every night last week and all of this past weekend, and was able to get it done and back on the ground yesterday. I ended up 5" down in the front, and 3.25" in the rear overall (down quite a bit, but not "slammed" IMO).

Be prepared to have issues installing the rear tires with the drop plates on the back (depending on your tire size). I'm running 17's and they go on with JUST enough room thanks to the larger ID of the wheel, but I can't get the stock wheel with 185R14s back on the rear without deflating the tire first. Also, if you go much more than your 3.25" drop plates, your going to need to notch the frame to give you clearance for the CV shaft. You might be aware of all of this already, but just wanted to pass it along just in case.

In any case, looks like your making nice progress. Good work! Feel free to PM me with any questions along the way. Glad to help if I can.

Also think its interesting that your beam is painted in gloss, and mine was flat black. I've seen pics of both. Wonder what the rhyme or reason is?

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Small world! Shooting for 6" all around, tubs and notches are already in play!
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Sounds like you have a great plan! I'll be looking forward to watching yours come together here.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Productive weekend

Got the Wagonswest beam in, new discs, calipers and braided lines.

Rear was a bit of work. Bus appears to have driven through wet asphalt at some point before it was abandoned in the California desert. Upside is no rust, downside is hours of chiseling

Wagonswest horseshoe plates and one outer spine down put the axle pretty close to the frame. 4" diameter, 1/8" wall tube made for perfect chassis notch. Cleaned up chassis, finished notch and a bit of undercoat to wrap it up.

Overall pretty happy with the stance, rear could drop a 1/2" more.

Next up are tubs for the front and design and build a bench seat. Hoping to have it to painter in a few weeks.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

It's best to leave off photos when trying to remember the good things if the 80s.
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Nice work on the chassis notch! Looking forward to seeing how your tubs come out. Bus is looking sharp.

67 Beetle (TBD)

AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Maiden voyage on the SlamBay kit. Notch made all the difference, ride is pretty smooth until it bottoms. Tubs are next. Also need to sort shocks. Really happy with the results and thinking I may drop it a bit more.

AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Tubs finally coming together. Had Chase Hill build 2" tubs, made this a pretty low drama process. His stuff fits pretty well, so other than a bit of trimming to hug the ribs at the back of the tub, it was a direct fit. Ran out of weekend, so welding will come later and possibly a custom bench seat.

Sharpied a few lines

Jacked up the bus to pull tire away from potential danger. Cut well to the inside of the lines and used a flapper wheel to clean up the edges

Happy with the results so far. Clearer why the hardcore guys tub into the door. Will definitely watch offset when I'm ready for cool guy wheels.
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Tubs are wrapping up, decided to build a lowered bench seat to help keep my head from hitting the roof.

1" tube and sleeved splices to form the base. Had some sliders laying around as well. Back will be similar construction, both with marine grade ply inserts and upholstery foam on top. Found some cool boat seat hinges as well.
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Seat coming together. Need to sort foam and upholstery next.

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Looking good! Nice fab work.

I keep looking at tubs for mine too... I’d like to go down another 2” or so, but am wheel well limited currently

67 Beetle (TBD)

AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

This should let me go down another inch and still have it drivable.
AirKooledGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Bay Window Rescue - Long term project Reply with quote

Seat foam sorted, need to sort upholstery next

Took it out for a quick spin around to judge comfort level. Not bad for an inch and a half of suspension and two inches of foam

Next up is fine tuning suspension (air shocks and a bit more drop). All goes well it hits the paint shop this spring and ready for show season this summer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: