Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 87 Replica... any info?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stetoppingphoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great progress so far with this Cool
beetleseb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SyncroGhia wrote:
A 1950 Split tank came up cheaply so I figured that even needing some repair work, it'd be better than nothing.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also as it needs work, I can fit an internal fuel injection pump so take into account the more modern running gear and take into account the size of the front diff underneath it.

I just need a cap to go with it. Smile

MG

What a rough looking tank!! Laughing Glad it went to a good home Cool
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetleseb wrote:
SyncroGhia wrote:
A 1950 Split tank came up cheaply so I figured that even needing some repair work, it'd be better than nothing.

Also as it needs work, I can fit an internal fuel injection pump so take into account the more modern running gear and take into account the size of the front diff underneath it.

I just need a cap to go with it. Smile

MG

What a rough looking tank!! Laughing Glad it went to a good home Cool

Good to meet you Seb... I'm sure I'll be in touch again when I'm looking for dash parts and lights etc

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raffenerat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realy nice projekt!
I'm working on a similar project but I'm going for a WW2-look/feeling with my own ideas...
My project is called "Project KommandeurSchwimm - the car they forgott to build 1943"

I've started to "kill" a -57 Beetle and going to use the tunnel from original chassie.
The rest will be a mix of Type 2 -78, Type 2 Syncro -90, Type 2 -00 and my own ideas, construction and design! I will run on 31"-10,5" tires and wide 5 rims...

I've also got a messed up split window that I hope to get in the body instead of the oval...
Ribbed semaphores etc...
I cutted out the dash board and going to build a new in Kübel style and so on...

As the project name say, I need to keep down weight and use air as a component...!!! Rolling Eyes
More to come in a separate thread!

//Raffe, Sweden
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Raffe,

Cool project!

I look forward to your thread.

I however have a slight problem. I have just been told that my storage will no longer be there from March! So now I need to find somewhere else to store this and my other vehicles.

I should be able to keep everything (I think) but working on it won't happen for a while.

MG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raffenerat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear!
I'm not so fast in my project for several reasons, but I don't have a dead line either...
The garage is over full with stuff and projects... to much...
I hope my project is out before I'm dead anywhay! Laughing

For now it's focus on building some engines and get my lowered -65 Type 2 Panel back on the streets... 900 kg bus with 300 hp feels fun.... so I'm working on it...
Beside that I'm working with the last adjustments on a -69 Type 3 Fastback with 3 liter Porsche engine, Porsche 911 brakes etc... Realy fun...

BTW - it was Sebastian Knowles that gave me a tip about you and your project after I told him about mine...

//Raffe
mrpotatohead76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been looking for you guys Very Happy Knew there had to be others with similar ideas. Turns out one is as close as Västerås Smile My plan is to build a 82e,87 or 92ss all depending on the parts i can find and the money i can spare. So far I`ve got the 16 rims, a split window and gearbox/axels from a 64 T2. Not much but always a start. Got my own garage six months ago, so hopefully I`ll get going soon.

Just like you SyncroGhia I also love those tires. Found them in Leharmilitarys site like a year ago. So right now I`m leaning towards the 87 look. Unfourtnately without the 4x4 if I`m ever gonna be able to finish it.

Gonna go and check out a -53 body this weekend. Looking forward to your updates, and I`ll try to post some pics as son as I get started.

By the way. Does anyone know of museums with these kind of cars. Know about the one in Wolfsburg, and there seems to be one in http://www.technik-museum.de/. Any others?
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrpotatohead76 wrote:
Been looking for you guys Very Happy Knew there had to be others with similar ideas. Turns out one is as close as Västerås Smile My plan is to build a 82e,87 or 92ss all depending on the parts i can find and the money i can spare. So far I`ve got the 16 rims, a split window and gearbox/axels from a 64 T2. Not much but always a start. Got my own garage six months ago, so hopefully I`ll get going soon.

Just like you SyncroGhia I also love those tires. Found them in Leharmilitarys site like a year ago. So right now I`m leaning towards the 87 look. Unfourtnately without the 4x4 if I`m ever gonna be able to finish it.

Gonna go and check out a -53 body this weekend. Looking forward to your updates, and I`ll try to post some pics as son as I get started.

By the way. Does anyone know of museums with these kind of cars. Know about the one in Wolfsburg, and there seems to be one in http://www.technik-museum.de/. Any others?

Welcome to the very small club of Type 87 Replica building nutters Twisted Evil

Please keep us updated with you progress.

I also had the idea to use some Split rear reduction boxes but as I have so many parts for the T3 Syncro, it makes sense for me to use what I have more of.

I have had a quick look on the website of http://www.technik-museum.de but only found a red splitty and a blue Beetle cabriolet.

Do you have a link to their Type 87?

MG
mrpotatohead76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Smile I googled for pics and ended up in this model site. Bad memory... It was an 82e. Altough since there aren`t that many available on display of either one. I would defenitly pay a visit if nearby.

It can be hard to tell the difference between replicas and originals in pics without any text or further info, but I`ve seen at least one sand one grey and one blueish that seems to be 87. The question is where they are?

I found a pic a while ago with some text that mentioned Deutsches panzermuseum Munster. Went there last summer, but found only a Kubel and a Schwimm. When i asked one of the officers guiding the place about it he only said that the Bundeswehr didnt have any cars like that. I then explained that it was a Wehrmacht car, upon which he just mumbled something and hurried away. Obviously still a sensitive question altough it`s just cars Sad

Last edited by mrpotatohead76 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:14 am; edited 1 time in total
mrpotatohead76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and the link to the model site http://www.miniatures.de/kfz-1-gelaendegaengig-4x2.html
Kapt. Q
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find one (bit of postwar modding) at the (unofficial) Porsche museum Gmund, Austria along with a rolling chassis. The whole car was allegedly one of the development/prototype vehicles, I don't have any info on the chassis's origins.
There are very few type 87/7's because contrary to the myth, very few were actually made. No wartime picture of one in service has ever come to light, draw your own conclusions on that (you'd kind of expect something so unusual to be photoed at least once in the field if they existed in the numbers some suggest). There are certainly a few replicas and some fakes out there though!

Cheers!
mrpotatohead76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Gmund is a little too far at the moment, so It will have to wait. Think I`ll go for Wolfsburg first. I`ve had quite a hard time finding wartime pics of any of the ``warbeetles´´ on the internet. Just ordered a couple of books about the Afrikakorps that might have some pics.

After my trip last weekend it turns out I am now the proud owner of a -54 Beetle body and a -53 chassis in need of a lot of tlc, but still it`s a start Smile
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrpotatohead76 wrote:

After my trip last weekend it turns out I am now the proud owner of a -54 Beetle body and a -53 chassis in need of a lot of tlc, but still it`s a start Smile

I've just had to move my project base to 160 miles away so it'll have to wait until I find somewhere new to store it locally so that I can start work again.

I'm still collecting parts for it though Smile

MG
Kapt. Q
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrpotatohead76 wrote:
Ok. Gmund is a little too far at the moment, so It will have to wait. Think I`ll go for Wolfsburg first. I`ve had quite a hard time finding wartime pics of any of the ``warbeetles´´ on the internet. Just ordered a couple of books about the Afrikakorps that might have some pics.

The 'type 87/7' in Wolfsburg is a British post war (1946) creation and differs from the wartime cars. It is not a true type 87/7.

There is no evidence that any Type 87/7's were ever shipped to Africa despite what model making companies would have you believe. I have never even seen a picture of a type 82e (beetle bodied kubelwagen) in that field let alone an 87/7. On a side note there is a loading document from Italy that details a schwimmwagen (presumably a type 128 because of the date), although there is no corroboration for this.

Cheers!
mrpotatohead76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I`ve seen the 1946 plates on it. About Africa i guess the model companies had me fooled. It doesn`t matter that much though, since I`m looking for pics of both 82e 87 and 92ss. Haven`t yet decided which one to build, although like i said before those wide tyres are really cool.

If one should belive in Wikipedia (which you shouldn`t always) some 688 82e:s and 667 87:s were produced. Still it`s so much harder to find pics of the 87. How come? Kapt. Q you seem to know a bit about these cars. Were there really that many 87:s and where were they mainly deployed then?
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the info I keep asking for isn't forth coming, despite how many times I ask or whichever forum I ask it, so I'll just go on the figures that I can get and I'll personally take measurements from the car in the museum the next time I'm there.

In the meantime, I now have a 4WD chassis for the project Smile

I had 99% decided to use different wheels on the car as it meant that I didn't have to work too hard with the chassis mods but then I realise that it just won't look right.

So, I'm back onto looking for 16" Schwimmwagen wheel specs although I'm fairly sure that VW just added 4 inches in width to the outside rim of the wheel. Again, I'll take measurements of an original when I get a chance.

I've already secured a pair of early Bay window rear drums which I'll use on the T3 Syncro rear arms and I'm looking for some wheel adapters that will go from 5 x 112mm to 5 x 205mm for the front. I hope to be able to try to lose some of the offset (move the wheel further in) with the adapter rather than using a flat plate shown below.

I'm still looking into this as I can't find a photo to see just how far back from the mounting face the caliper sits.

MG
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SyncroGhia wrote:
So, I'm back onto looking for 16" Schwimmwagen wheel specs although I'm fairly sure that VW just added 4 inches in width to the outside rim of the wheel. Again, I'll take measurements of an original when I get a chance.

Schwimmwagen rims were specially made to fit into a sealing lip on the tire to hold out water.

You should be able to create something approximate by welding VW centers in new rims.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
SyncroGhia wrote:

Schwimmwagen rims were specially made to fit into a sealing lip on the tire to hold out water.

You should be able to create something approximate by welding VW centers in new rims.

Like a bead lock?

MG
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little update on the project.

The weekend included a cruz for T3 vans and then onto Stanford Hall (VW show) where I collected a very rusty W decklid from the show for the project Smile

The inner section of the nose has completely disappeared so I'll buy a slightly later lid to repair it with. I still need the correct number plate light for a late 40s/early 50s split.

A friend of mine said that he would pop down from the show to my house and take the chassis up to the storage place where the shell is.

It didn't really go to plan!

Dave phoned me from the M40 stating that his engine had overheated (Subaru) in his T3 Syncro and that he may have to be recovered home.

Looking at the oil on the dipstick, the oil had lots of metal in it. Not good!

I was only 10 miles away so I towed him to load up the chassis and then he put in the call for recovery.

We had the Syncro chassis and a Beetle floorpan in the back... it was fairly fully Laughing

Being recovered...

Once the chassis was unloaded, I set to adding the suspension to it

The front track (outside edge of the tyres) measures around 69". I'll compare this with the front wing to front wing on my '53 oval later on but from memory it's around 60".

I've checked the clearance of the front caliper in relation to the mounting face for the wheel and I can just run a flat plate wheel adapter to go from 5 x 112 to 5 x 205mm as discussed earlier.

I haven't decided which engine to use yet as I have access to a 2.1 T3, an Audi 2.8 30V V6 and an Audi S8 4.2 V8! Twisted Evil

Until I've managed to make the bodyshell structurally sound and place it on top of the chassis, I won't know how much room I've got for the engine.

The radiator will probably go up front somewhere but I'm not going to be cutting holes into the bodywork for it. I will be modifying the front in a similar way to the '46 so there will be gaps around for air to get through.

MG
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the chassis rolling at last and was then able to get it stored away with the bodyshell.

Rear suspension going together.

Just for the moment, I've thrown a pair of rear springs on from a more modern vehicle which are weaker than standard T3 Syncro springs so that the suspension moves.

A couple of pieces of metal tube later and a short trip around the corner to the garage.

Now to throw the body on top and push it back into the garage.

I probably won't get much further for a while as we're moving house soon, I'm looking for a new job and we need to find a new house which has enough space for all of my VW junk Wink

In the meantime, I can continue to do research about specs from Schwimmwagens etc.

The guys at VW-Schwimmagen have put up some great info... thank you Smile

http://www.vw166.com/schwimmwagen/technics/facts.htm

I've copied the info that is interesting to me - all rights are theirs.

As anyone with a Schwimmwagen seems to have an issue with giving me any information at all, I'll put everything I can find up here for everyone to see. I don't see the point in purposefully with-holding information from fellow VW enthusiasts. If it wasn't for the rest of us, the Schwimmwagen's wouldn't have a following at all.

Looking at the differences in track width in the above dimensions, there is a difference of 136mm at the front and 130mm at the back.

MG
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: