Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 87 Replica... any info?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Type 87 Replica... any info? Reply with quote

geneL3c wrote:
I have a similar plan to " clone " the Typ 87 based on a 1955 Sunroof Beetle that I have finally acquired after a long search for a suitable donor. Being somewhat familiar with VW over a period of many years, I decided on a " looks " only replica. Back in the early 1970's I unknowingly built an " Off-Road Beetle " when I installed a Typ II transaxle using a then available conversion kit consisting of adapter blocks and raising the front end with an " Adjust-a-Drop " kit on a '57 Sun-Roof Beetle. With 10" rims in the back and 6" rims in the front, it would go just about anywhere a 4-wheel drive would go and I enjoyed it for many years. Remembering the excellent performance, I think the complexity of 4-wheel drive is an unnecessary complication for how I intend to use it, but I'm impressed with anyone willing to take on such a challenging project. I believe the currently available Schwimwagen kits also take a simpler approach by using 2-wheel drive Regretting having sold it, I want to now correct my mistake. I have collected most of the parts I need and have started prepping the body to go to the body shop for rust repair and grafting of the split window section. The plan is to modify the chassis with a Typ II full synchro transaxle modified with Barndoor axle housings and reduction boxes to retro fit lever shocks. Front end will have Barndoor spindles and drums adapted with modified link pin bushings. Doors will be modified with Split Window one piece glass and regulators. I have a set of 6" Centerline aluminum wheels that are very close to the Kronprinz wheels originally used. My only real problem right now is getting a time slot with the body shop, currently estimated as the end of Feb. As for parts, I'm still looking for a Split dash, r/s window regulator, and r/s tail light housing.
Regards all, Gene

Sounds great. Keep us updated with some pics please.

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 87 Replica... any info? Reply with quote

A small update.

I just managed to pick up a Kubelwagen dash insert for the Type 87 replica.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's cracked, has been repaired and also modified in places but it's enough to make the dashboard work!

It's these parts that I need... nothing perfect (as the car isn't going to be) but usable Smile

MG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Type 87 Replica... any info? Reply with quote

Nice score, the one I have is much worse and was modified for later switches, yech ! Gene
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Type 87 Replica... any info? Reply with quote

These were taken October of 2017

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Type 87 Replica... any info? Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
These were taken October of 2017

Great pics thanks Very Happy

These photos have me thinking...

MG
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Type 87 Replica... any info? Reply with quote

I'm still looking for the wheel offset or back spacing for an original Schwimmwagen 16 x 7 wheel please if anyone has it?

MG
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: