Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pertronix SVDA Ineffective Vacuum
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Pertronix SVDA Ineffective Vacuum Reply with quote

I installed a new Pertronix SVDA, and it seems the vacuum advance isn't really working. I had to take it apart several times to get the mechanical advance section to not cook my engine (the stop tabs were all the way out and there was WAY too much internal advance to be good for an air cooled VW engine). I never checked the vacuum advance before rectifying the mechanical advance, so I can't say it ever worked. If I disconnect/clamp the vacuum signal line (from the vacuum signal ports on dual IDFs), I get a standard amount of mechanical advance. If I leave it hooked up I get the same amount of advance instead of the expected mechanical plus vacuum (which I think should add about 10° at max advance with no load). There is a known issue with the rubber grommet of the Pertronix unit interfering with the vacuum advance part of the distributor by either preventing it from moving or getting it stuck at some point in the advance curve for about the same reason, and I adjusted things to prevent this. If I suck on it with my mouth, I can get it to actuate, but it's like trying to suck a thick milkshake through a straw.

Is my expectation of additional advance from the vacuum section with no load inaccurate?

Is it possible the Pertronix vacuum unit is not sensitive enough for the vacuum signal it's actually seeing?

What's up?

-'58 German Market Deluxe Beetle (in progress)
-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
"Buy the best, cry once." -Gene Berg
"A cheap man will always buy the cheapest thing available, and then buys another one hoping for a better result, and then spends the rest of his life in misery complaining about it. A thrifty man will buy a good part once and never think about it again." -RockCrusher
"Don't feed the Shitty Parts Monster!" -Me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What carb?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dual 40 IDFs.

-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
"A cheap man will always buy the cheapest thing available, and then buys another one hoping for a better result, and then spends the rest of his life in misery complaining about it. A thrifty man will buy a good part once and never think about it again." -RockCrusher
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Pertronix SVDA Ineffective Vacuum Reply with quote

First, remove the cap and rotor, suck on the hose, is the distributor advancing? A common problem with that distributor is the advance mechanism hitting the grommet for the wires going through the distributor body. I have notified Pertronix time and time again but they won't fix the issue, you have to.

secondly, put a vac gauge on the hose, what reading are you getting? If I recall you are at 6k', your vacuum WILL be lower there at elevation.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I did everything you suggested save the vacuum gauge (don't have one handy) and noted it above in the OP. You have a pretty good memory though, I live at 8k' for the next week and a half, and will be doing everything at about 5400' after that.

Let's say I can find a vacuum gauge at a FLAPS nearby, what should I be expecting as a reading, and at what reading should the vacuum pot actuate to what extent? I imagine rigging up a T between my mouth, the vacuum pot, and the gauge, then sucking until there is an appropriate amount of actuation.

-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here...so don't worry about it too much. Best guess is the diaphragm is stiff and the distributor internals mainly spring) are stiff as well. Combine that with your IDF's/altitude and well...you get the picture. With my set up I see 5BTDC//28full mechanical//33 with vac advance.

What cam are you using?

Who/where did you buy the Pertronix from?

Run your bus up to 3400 or so RPM's and play (feather) the throttle while there and you'll likely see ~5 or so advance. Give it some time and perhaps you'll see some additional advance.

Do you have only 2 vac lines to a 'T'? From cylinders 1 & 4? If so, you may be getting a low signal/pulses in the line. Possible fix would be the use of an anti-pulse valve.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in a Ghia. The bus that belongs to the mirror in my avatar was sold a while back. I figured stiffness would be an issue, but it's got about a thousand miles on it so far, and I would hope that it's loosened up by now... I've got timing set at 10° at idle, and I need to drive it around a bit more but if anything it needs another degree or two. It's really hard to tell when you have to gauge things over the course of 3k' elevation change between home and (anything).

Cam is unknown (as is displacement at either 1600 or 1641), but is a touch on the warmer than stock side. My guess is a 110.

Pertronix is from Appletree. A VW parts house I was previously unaware of, but after looking through their catalogue, it's all EMPI so I probably won't be ordering from them again. Regardless, a Pertronix SVDA is a Pertronix SVDA as far as I'm aware.

I have two vacuum lines teed off one and four. I've not heard of an antipulse valve or its use with IDFs, but it makes sense. Where would one obtain such a thing, and is it a good idea on a dual IDF setup?

-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spectre6000 wrote:
It's in a Ghia. The bus that belongs to the mirror in my avatar was sold a while back. I figured stiffness would be an issue, but it's got about a thousand miles on it so far, and I would hope that it's loosened up by now... I've got timing set at 10° at idle, and I need to drive it around a bit more but if anything it needs another degree or two. It's really hard to tell when you have to gauge things over the course of 3k' elevation change between home and (anything).

Cam is unknown (as is displacement at either 1600 or 1641), but is a touch on the warmer than stock side. My guess is a 110.

Pertronix is from Appletree. A VW parts house I was previously unaware of, but after looking through their catalogue, it's all EMPI so I probably won't be ordering from them again. Regardless, a Pertronix SVDA is a Pertronix SVDA as far as I'm aware.

I have two vacuum lines teed off one and four. I've not heard of an antipulse valve or its use with IDFs, but it makes sense. Where would one obtain such a thing, and is it a good idea on a dual IDF setup?

As for one SVDA to another SVDA (Pertronix) buying from Aircooled.net (John) will give them a yes/no before selling them. I believe he sent a batch back not long ago.

Anti pulse valve: http://www.dellorto.co.uk/merchandise/products_det...ctionID=71

In the end if all you see or get is ~5 or so..it's better than none at all.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch W8CC plugs
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did send a bunch of defective Pertronix SVDA's back not long ago. It's possibly Appletree sent you one of the bad ones without knowing there was a problem with them.

To find out you have to take that cap/rotor off and check it YOURSELF.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was defective about them? As stated in the OP, AND my third post in this thread, I did take the cap off and check, etc. multiple times. I was giving serious thought to buying a Bosch vacuum unit and replacing the rest of the guts with the guts from a Bosch 009 in an effort to recreate the venerable ACN SVDA that I enjoyed so thoroughly on my bus (had I know they were going to be discontinued so soon I would have put a 009 on it before it left).

-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's up with only being able to find the anti pulse valves in the UK?

-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
E4ODnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to be nasty or anything here, but you seem to be in a big hurry to blame the distributor. You may indeed have a problem with the distributor, but how can you determine that without knowing what the vacuum signal is that you are sending to it under all speeds and loads, and what the advance curve of the vacuum pot is?
I would suggest that if you determine both of these things you will find the answer to your problem.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E4ODnut wrote:
I'm not trying to be nasty or anything here, but you seem to be in a big hurry to blame the distributor. You may indeed have a problem with the distributor, but how can you determine that without knowing what the vacuum signal is that you are sending to it under all speeds and loads, and what the advance curve of the vacuum pot is?
I would suggest that if you determine both of these things you will find the answer to your problem.

1. He should have no vacuum at idle.

2. He should have no vacuum at WOT or near it.

3. As for the vacuum can itself...good luck I doubt Pertronix even knows that.

I'm seeing somewhat what he's seeing with the exception that I'm at/near sea level and I purchased mine from Aircooled.net about 1.5 months ago. (after John sent a bad batch back to Pertronix).
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Bosch W8CC plugs
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
GTman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason

Check out some of my earlier posts in the forum on virtually the same issue.

Not only is my Pertronix SVDA insensitive to anything less than an 8 inHg vacuum signal which is difficult for any dual carb set up to realize but I too had to shave down the rubber grommet to get the advance mechanism set up to work properly.

Even after this at 3000 rpms and 30 degrees timing my idle timing is 15 degrees so I'm only getting 15 degrees of mechanical advance which is inadequate.

The distributor is junk. I live by Pertronix here in Los Angeles so will be taking it in this week for their tech people to troubleshoot.

Ill keep everyone informed. Good luck.

Thanks. Grant.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTman wrote:
Jason

Check out some of my earlier posts in the forum on virtually the same issue.

Not only is my Pertronix SVDA insensitive to anything less than an 8 inHg vacuum signal which is difficult for any dual carb set up to realize but I too had to shave down the rubber grommet to get the advance mechanism set up to work properly.

Even after this at 3000 rpms and 30 degrees timing my idle timing is 15 degrees so I'm only getting 15 degrees of mechanical advance which is inadequate.

The distributor is junk. I live by Pertronix here in Los Angeles so will be taking it in this week for their tech people to troubleshoot.

Ill keep everyone informed. Good luck.

Thanks. Grant.

While there get the vacuum can specs and also ask them if another can could be adapted to the distributor with a more positive effect for those with low vacuum signal.

Sounds like yours may have an issue with one of the stops...not allowing it to settle down to around 7.5BTDC.

As for mine it idles at 5 BTDC and advances to full mechanical at 28 degrees. With the hose attached and feathering the throttle I can see it go to 33 degrees at approximately 3400 RPM's.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Bosch W8CC plugs
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
GTman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did speak with one of the technical people at Pertronix this week and that told me that their vacuum canister needed at least 8 inHg and provided full vacuum advance at 10 inHg. I have verified this by removing the vacuum canister and sucking on a teed off tubing connected to it and a vacuum guage. You start to get some slight movement at 6in Hg, but this is removed from the distributor so my thought is you need the extra 2in Hg to get the vacuum canister arm to move the breaker plate when installed as the breaker plate does have some friction and is held in place by a lubricated ball.

Regarding the vacuum mechanism I saw that when at rest it was hitting on the rubber grommet, so was not allowed to fully retreat to zero. When I shaved away some of the grommet my timing at idle was about 5 degrees retarded.

But now I have an issue with the mechanical advance itself as I'm only able to get 15 degrees of curved advance from it. I will remove the distributor this weekend and investigate. But at this point I just want to put this baby in Pertronix's hands and let them explain to me the workings of their distributor.

I have heard of others replacing the Pertronix vacuum canister and replacing it with a more sensitive one, e.g., one responsive to vacuum signals of the 3 inHg or so that dual carb ported vacuum is easy to hit. I would love to hear more about this option.

Thanks, Grant
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from the flats and picked up a vacuum tester at NAPA. I have crap going on all day tomorrow, so I'll be checking to see what I'm dealing with sometime this next week.

GTman, out of the box I had something like 30 degrees mechanical advance. I had to tear it apart 3 or 4 times to get the stops to where I had an appropriate amount.

E4ODnut, given the reputation of this particular Pertronix distributor, my experiences with the distributor thus far, the insane amount of work I've put into this car over the past few months (everything has been replaced or rebuilt save the bottom end of the engine, the tranny, and the paint and body) I don't think it's even remotely far fetched to suspect that (as GTman found out for us) the vacuum signal required to actuate the vacuum pot is higher than should really be expected from a dual carbed VW (especially at this altitude).

Luckily, these distributors, aside from the quality of specific components and the lack of tune/testing out of the box, are pretty good copies of the Bosch units and the parts seem to interchange pretty easily. Once I narrow things down to verify the signal requirements of my specific vacuum pot and what it's seeing, I'll either do what I can to rectify things or see if I can dig up a lighter Bosch unit.

-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
GTman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason:

If you decide to change out the Pertronix vacuum canister to a Bosch unit that is more sensitive to the ported vacuum of a dual carb set up (say 4 to 6 inHg) please let me know.

I am battling a flat spot with the dual Kadrons that I am running on my 1600 and want to make sure that I've eliminated timing as an issue (before I start messing the accelerator pump adjustments).

If I learn anything from the Pertronix tech about possible alternative vacuum canisters that they carry I will let you know.

Also, when you were adjusting your centrifugal or mechanical advance, what was is that you needed to do. Sounds like you had too much initially.

Thanks, Grant
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The little handheld vac pump with a gauge on it was a very useful tool back when cars had a lot of vaccum stuff, not so much anymore now that everything is electric. I don't even have one anymore, but that's what yall need to calibrate these distributors and stuff.

Alfa needed a one way valve in line to generate enough vaccum to run the distributor, I wonder why VW doesen't??? hmmm, well you can make one easy enough if needed.
spectre6000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTman wrote:
...[W]hen you were adjusting your centrifugal or mechanical advance, what was is that you needed to do. Sounds like you had too much initially.

(This is from memory from a month or so ago, so I might have missed something but it should be enough to get there with a little common sense)

Remove the distributor from the engine (I left the cap connected with the spark plug wires).

Pull the rotor and dust cover.

Remove the Pertronix unit from the shaft.

Remove the e-clip from where the vacuum unit attaches to the plate and remove the vacuum canister from the side.

Push the rubber grommet in and remove the whole top plate by unscrewing the clips at the side.

At this point you'll finally have access to the guts. You'll see two sprung weights. Each weight has an inner and outer stop, and they'll be resting on the inner stops. If you don't have enough advance, you'll need to bend the outer stops toward away from the center and vice versa. There are no markings or anything to tell you how much advance you have or don't have, so you'll have to reassemble the whole mess (reverse order) and try it out to see where you're at. It took me three or four tries to get it right.

Again from memory:

cheap 009s have 21°-22°
German 009s have 24°
Some centrifugal advance distributor that is occasionally used on TIVs (050?) had 26°

My first or second attempt gave me 25°, and those dispensing advice that day suggested I aim closer to 21°. I think I settled around 23°, but would have to go look to be sure. Since the ACN SVDAs are NLA and these seem to be the next best thing even with all of these QC issues (the distributor isn't bad, it just needs more setup than would probably be good for those that won't know any better), it might be good for the hobby to have a real writeup for how to do this... Since I have some time set aside to do the vacuum tests, but won't be able to due to road conditions, maybe this will be a good thing to do tomorrow with proper photos and such. Maybe someone (John?) could chime in with the vacuum signal that the ACN SVDA was set up with. I have a very strong suspicion that replacing the vacuum pot with the NOT NLA Bosch vacuum pot might be the answer, and replacing the centrifugal guts of a good 009 for good measure (to eliminate the lesser Chinese guts) might be just the ticket for making these distributors as good as the ACN units.

In other news, we got a few inches of snow last night and are supposed to be getting more tonight (meaning I'm not taking the Ghia down to the flats until things thaw out). Additionally, we're moving in a week, and there's a lot going on there. This may put a damper on the tests, but on the bright side I'll be down at the altitude this all needs to be tested for good a week from tomorrow!

-'84 M1009 CUCV
-'81 K10
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: