Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

HVAC Side Window vents, how do they work?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ewalt98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: HVAC Side Window vents, how do they work? Reply with quote

I finally decided to repair the HVAC on my 82, which has never fully worked since I've had it, that is for 20 years.
I knew that the topmost control cable for the rear floor vent was broken, and the bottom two were bent right at the lever. Oh, one of the hot air cables was disconnected at the hot air diverter. Anyway, the fan finally started to scream, so that prompted me to pull the dash, and fix everything.

I repaired the motor, and used a little plastic cap over the end of the motor shaft, then replaced the flap seals, and put the box back in. It works great.

After fixing/hooking up all the cables, I ran the fan and adjusted the air controls to see if everything worked.

Here are my questions:

Regardless of how I set the controls, I don't feel any air coming out of the side window defrost vents. Do these vents only operate while driving? I do feel some air coming out of the central defrost vents.
Also, regardless of control settings, I feel air coming out of the dash vents. Is this normal?
Finally, I don't feel any air coming out of the rear floor vent, does that only work when driving?

I did read the westfalia.org description, which helped in overall understanding, but didn't mention the side defrost vents.

Also, my van had AC originally, but other than the wiring and relays, it has all been removed by the PO. I'm pretty sure there was no interface with the front box and control levers, correct? I don't see where the AC control should be, though.

Does anyone have some insight?

Thanks
72 GT6
88 F350
03 F150
OwnYourReality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you've got a lot of questions & I won't even pretend to have all the answers for you but when I started working on my 87 syncro's system I got a lot of good info from go westy's site. maybe this will help.

http://www.gowesty.com/library_article.php?id=311
geo_tonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear floor vent:
-if you mean under the rear bench that is a separate heater core with it's own fan controlled by the fan switch closest the steering column.
-if you mean a metal vent behind the front seats at floor level then that's a gasoline-powered aux heater with a separate control (green knob beneath regular heater controls).

EDIT: SORRY dawned on me you are talking about an aircooled. Not sure what to say other than so far as I've heard, the defrost sucks badly on those.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Phishman068
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winter setting: all right.
Summer setting: all left.
Other seasons become confusing.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6864936#6864936

"Along with the ability to go fast, one looses the desire to hurry."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ewalt98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

geo_tonz wrote:
Not sure what to say other than so far as I've heard, the defrost sucks badly on those.

I would agree!

Phishman068 wrote:
Winter setting: all right.
Summer setting: all left.
Other seasons become confusing.

Probably the most concise description.

Perhaps now that I have all the cables hooked up, it will work as intended.(?)
72 GT6
88 F350
03 F150
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: