Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 73 standard beetle won't start in the morning?!
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
halima0011
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: My 73 standard beetle won't start in the morning?! Reply with quote

So in the beginning of October my car began to have this problem where in the mornings if I tried to start it, it wouldn't turn over. It made a weird sound like it wanted to fire up but couldn't. So I took it to vw paradise and asked them to look at it and they kept it for a couple days and told me that they unplugged my radio that I got installed into my car and that my car fired up! They claimed that it is draining power from my battery. However, this problem with my car began literally a day before I got my radio installed.. So I am not so sure that is the root of the problem.. Like I said its only in the mornings when I have this issue, later in the day it starts with no problem. I even took a video of what it sounds like when it doesn't want to start if anybody wants me to email it to them??
[/vimeo]
Relyt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound like a power issue.

How cold is it right now where you're at? (it just starting freezing overnight here)
What is your batteries CCA rating?
Have you had your battery tested to make sure it's keeping proper charge and putting out proper amperage?

The other thing is it could be a connection somewhere. If the temperature is dropping it could cause an already loose/corroded connection to shrink and lose connectivity.

I would get my battery tested, and go through my ignition/starter circuit, along with grounds and make sure they're clean and tight.

There are two major ground straps, one from battery to chassis and one from transmission to chassis.
205T (Bill)
halima0011
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

Here Is the video
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like it should start. Numerous reason why it will not start. Did fuel flow out of the carb? Does it have enough spark. What is the battery voltage while cranking? and on and on.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
VeedubPastor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your choke adjustment. By the way, your car is turning over, it's just not firing.
Stock air cleaner and emissions equipment
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: