Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can't close vent wing
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Can't close vent wing Reply with quote

So read through all the threads about getting the vent wing to frame seal installed, as well as getting the seal between the vent wing and the glass. As much as that sucked, I got those all done and installed. I figured I was home free and just had to install the vent wings, but now that they are in, it is practically impossible to close them.

I have read in different threads that people say the new seals are larger than OG seals, but sadly I don't have one to compare to. I bought my seals from Ronnie at Bustoration and be mentioned that there was trimming necessary in certain areas, but wasn't sure if this was one of those areas.

Do you guys trim the new seals in order to get the wings to close? I read somewhere about someone clamping them shut for a few days to try and get the seals to crush down? I just don't want to take a chance of putting all that stress on the latch and breaking it cause I don't want to take that glass out again. Haha

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Wanna do it right the first time, and don't want to trim the seal incorrectly because I really don't wanna replace that one again either. My fingers start to ache just thinking about doing that seal again. Haha
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got any pictures? I closed mine for weeks. When I closed them, I didn't let the latch pull it in at all. I used enough finger force to have enough slack to easily close latch.
Malanthius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't close vent wing Reply with quote

mrblyoung wrote:
So read through all the threads about getting the vent wing to frame seal installed, as well as getting the seal between the vent wing and the glass. As much as that sucked, I got those all done and installed. I figured I was home free and just had to install the vent wings, but now that they are in, it is practically impossible to close them.

I have read in different threads that people say the new seals are larger than OG seals, but sadly I don't have one to compare to. I bought my seals from Ronnie at Bustoration and be mentioned that there was trimming necessary in certain areas, but wasn't sure if this was one of those areas.

Do you guys trim the new seals in order to get the wings to close? I read somewhere about someone clamping them shut for a few days to try and get the seals to crush down? I just don't want to take a chance of putting all that stress on the latch and breaking it cause I don't want to take that glass out again. Haha

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Wanna do it right the first time, and don't want to trim the seal incorrectly because I really don't wanna replace that one again either. My fingers start to ache just thinking about doing that seal again. Haha

I got my rubbers from WCM and did them recently as well. Mine were also tuff to close. Myself I put pressure on the glass from the outside so that I could get the latch to go down. I pushed right behind the latch. Then I just left it like that for a while leaving it closed. (Told the wife and kids to not open them) Seems to be easier now to close after a month or more. I was hoping that the rubber would conform to the shape of the wing window closed. Seems to have worked. I did not have to trim anything except for the wholes for the pivot shaft and top arm where the rivet goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drivers side went together with ease and just took a little pressure from the outside to get it to latch.

It was just the passenger side (the side I did first) that was super difficult. I got it to latch, but it took a lot of pressure from the backside of the latch (outside pushing it closed). Good advice from the guy above me, even though I read it after I worked on them - it's the exact thing I did.

I'll leave them closed for a week or two. Maybe even more and hope that the seal kinda conforms to the wing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sidbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shaved mine with a razor blade until I could just get the vent window shut. Then left them shut for a few months. Now they're fine.

I learned the above from a samba thread on same topic.
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you may actually want to clamp the thing closed at the latch area if its real still so it doesn't break the new latch. ps 3m rubber electrical tape is your friend for fixing wind wing whistles. Put it at the top inside of the wing....if you get the whistle. Hopefully you wont.
cvbill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'63 single cab.
When I replaced the wind wing rubber on the DOORframe, I found it would not latch (at all). After scratching my head for a few days I found the glass in the wind wing had moved ever so much rearward (in it's frame). Tapped it back and left the wing closed for a couple of weeks. OK now. Funny thing is, both wings did this. I did not replace the rubber on the wind wing itself, glass to frame. Just something that was not very obvious to see.
TXTransporter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Wing Vent Will Not Close Reply with quote

I bought a single cab and have the same problem. The wing vent rubber seem NOS replacements but the vent windows will not close. The rubber is not water tight on the bottom rounded end matching to the metal door frame.

I am going to take apart and possibly adjust the metal frame and pins to match up and seal with the rubber and vent window. I think if I get the wing vent, handle and rubber set up to where they will open and close before installation, I will add some metal to the frame and/or move the pins to get an exact match to receive the rubber.

There are so many things to take care of on this Single Cab purchase but the 2 that bug me the most is that the wing vents don't close and the doors sag and don't close tight. I believe I will be spending a lot of hours on just the doors and wing windows to get them working correctly.

------
73 Super Beetle (First Car in High School - Sold)
62 Single Cab Transporter (My new toy)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: