Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Driving a split in Holiday Traffic.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonecollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Driving a split in Holiday Traffic. Reply with quote

Just got back from Home Depot. I drove my 61 single over there to pick up some materials for a remodel I'm working on. Home Depot is located in a very commercial part of town by many retail stores. Let me just say Holiday driver are azzholes. I almost got nailed 2 or 3 times. What a joke. As I'm driving along staring out my split screens I'm thinking anyone who doesnt drive a vw is a dink this time of year, myself included. When I get behind the wheel of my wifes SUV I admit I get pretty aggressive. On the other hand driving my single is very relaxing atleast when I'm not dodging Holiday shoppers. That goes for road trips too. Cruising at 55-60 you really get to check some scenery compared to 80-85 in my SUV with my eyes peeled to the road watching the pavement fly by. Beware of the Holiday drivers!!!! You don't want one of those mindless idiots bouncing off of your split.

WWW.VOLKSWEAR.COM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tribalbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea its amazing the risks people will take to their selves,people around them and property all in the sake to save themselves a whopping 30 seconds!talk about selfish and without concern for others.what you're talking about is evweryday life here in so-cal Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Nor Cal! At least in the Bay Area.... Local drivers are freaking stupid and insane! When I have taken my camper out to do some shopping separate from my wife, I just cruise it nice and slow and totally try not to get up in any speeder's bizznat. Smile At the same time, if it's evening and I have the Xmas lights on inside the camper, it does (I think) make me a little more visible.

-Taylor

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dancingwithbears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it slike that down here in florida all year. these blue hairs think they are the only ones on the road. and now its snowbird time so multiply the blue hairs by 10 fold.

happy driving
dancingwithbears
RobzKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dancingwithbears wrote:

Quote:
it slike that down here in florida all year. these blue hairs think they are the only ones on the road. and now its snowbird time so multiply the blue hairs by 10 fold

Blue hairs Laughing thats too funny. Yeah we have a few down here in SOCAL that wouldnt think twice about taking anybody out that gets in their way, and by the looks of their caddies they can do some serious damage to a VW. Be safe out there.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't like the way I drive, STAY OFF THE SIDEWALK!!! Shocked

Current member in the 112 step program of the "Non-Recovering Suicidal Maniacs Synonymus" Razz
rusbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Driving a split in Holiday Traffic. Reply with quote

bonecollector wrote:
When I get behind the wheel of my wifes SUV I admit I get pretty aggressive. On the other hand driving my single is very relaxing...

It's amazing how the vehicle can influence your driving style. I drove splitties exclusively for years, until last year when I got an '83 porsche 944...totally changed my style...I found myself doing shit that I used to hate...like pulling into the right lane at a stop light, even though the lane ends shortly after the light, because I know I can smoke the tercel, and get in front of him... Now I've gotten rid of that sucker and traded it in on another ACVW. Today was my first day driving in to work in my new '57 beetle, with splitcase trans, and 36hp engine. Once again, a total about-face. I find myself thinking "Why are these ass-clowns in such a hurry?"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know whatcha mean, rusbus. There was a period where I drove a little crazier in my wife's new Civic. That lasted until I crunched the front end. Thankfully, it got fixed no problem...so did my driving habits.

-Taylor

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hornman
Samba Soul Surfer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Here in So Cal, driving a splitty is an athletic feat! But, I'm also guilty of the Dr Jeckle/Mr. Hyde thing. I was test driving the Splitty after a little tinkering last evening and I took my neighbor with me (I swear, he smells AC oil and comes running over!). After a short cruise, he offered to let me drive his 78 Carrera. Can you say four wheel drift in a residential area? That's something you won't see me do in my Split!!!
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I didant realy have to much traffic probs here in the uk with my old bus, except no one ever saw my semaphores, so I just had to be a bit more carfull.

Its going to be fun driving the barndoor with all of its 36 horses, I just take my time and let people be on there way Laughing
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And such is the joy of driving a bus. You just sit back, relax, and enjoy the trip.

As it was once said, "Sometimes it's better to travel than to arrive."

-Taylor

Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Driving a split in Holiday Traffic. Reply with quote

rusbus wrote:
It's amazing how the vehicle can influence your driving style. I drove splitties exclusively for years, until last year when I got an '83 porsche 944...totally changed my style...I found myself doing shit that I used to hate...like pulling into the right lane at a stop light, even though the lane ends shortly after the light, because I know I can smoke the tercel, and get in front of him... Now I've gotten rid of that sucker and traded it in on another ACVW. Today was my first day driving in to work in my new '57 beetle, with splitcase trans, and 36hp engine. Once again, a total about-face. I find myself thinking "Why are these ass-clowns in such a hurry?"

I'm in the same boat. On the rare occation that I actually drive my 914, I'm told I drive like a maniac. But in my bus, it's different. Luckily for everybody else on the road, I drive my bus a lot more than my 914. But then again, my bus will have a type 4 engine in it after not too long... Shocked

Btw, post some pictures of your new '57 in the gallery. We want to see it.
DanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sure russ will agree with me. living in and around DC, i'm used to sitting in traffic for hours on a daily basis... thats nothing new. what gets me is how much more parking sucks. i've had some serious altercations with people in parking lots. everybody in this area drives bmw's, mercedes, porsche's and ALL of them have doors and bumpers that are beat to shit.
bonecollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to report I had a nice drive to work this morning. The roads were all iced over and people were actually taking their time. I love the feeling of driving on ice in a type 2. It's a totally unique feeling sitting directly over the front axle when the rear starts to wander a little from side to side. I've never actually spun one clear around but the suttle sway back and forth on the icey surfuce keeps me on my toes. Jer.

WWW.VOLKSWEAR.COM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes. I must admit that's not an experience I'd like to have ever. It's about to start raining here in the Bay Area and it makes me glad that I'm working to save some money and take public transit to work. Less of a chance of wrecking my bus with bad drivers around me. And besides, I still ride a bus with a split front window!

-Taylor

vwjosh6070
Driveway Camper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the traffic here in atlanta sucks!!! stop and go, stop and go..... the whole way home from school!!!!! when my split gets on the road, she'll never get a rest, shell tell all these other non AC cars to piss off!..... well, all exept for the vw's.

1973 Transporter "Floyd"

****Wheres my old bus?! 1967 Montgomery Ward Camper****

KI4MXO
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i said it before and i will say it again. i got tons of old fatchies down here! i was behind one tonight w/ the handicap tag hangin from the mirror and i could not even see her/him because it was a short person. man they love the damn buicks here too. if i come back in my second life, i want to be a buick salesperson round here!!! livin round here makes me glad i drive the bus part time and my passat w/ all the air bags and side curtain do dads full time!
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hornman
Samba Soul Surfer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking while driving home from surfing yesterday... Driving a splitty is like surfing an old school long board. You have to anticipate every move. And start early...
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I will totally second that opinion! With all the grace and aerodynamacy of a brick, driving a bus is much like longboarding!

-NCR

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering where you sit, you're almost hanging ten to boot!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: