Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Really...do check fuel lines
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.
I bought old stock of Gates, even better stock IMHO, with the different colored core.
Still the new stuff is very good.
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew, that was a close call debbiej. Glad that officer was observant.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced about 90% of the lines on my van. All but the two sections that go from the firewall to the gas tank and the line to the fuel pump. Before anyone says it, yes I plan to replace the rest very soon. I'm dropping the tank to resell it and instal a new sender, and will do the rest then.

Looking at the lines I replaced so far and the crimps, I'm almost 100% certain that most of the lines I replaced were factory originals.

Pretty crazy to think this van being a 86 was still using the original lines, when it's a very well known issue and one of the lines coming from the tank was leaking. Personally I intend to get in the habit of inspecting my lines every time I change the oil and think I'll change the lines every two years. Honestly it's less then $100 to replace the lines if you do it yourself.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replacement every two years may be excessive IF you are installing quality fuel line.
But,
If it makes you feel safe..... Go for it!

I notice my fuel line is dated, made in October 02, 2012 08:13:34 .......... I wonder if like tires (7 Years is it?) there is a date that it should be considered unsafe to use?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might sound crazy to replace fuel lines more often, but the new fuels are tough on the rubber components. E20 is around the corner, and even the E10 is causing problems with my old two cycle boat engine.

Not going to get into an in-depth discussion on the effects of E20, but it's a good idea to stay on top of your fuel lines,and plan on more frequent replacement with the best you can find.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JudoJeff wrote:
E20 is around the corner

Hopefully alcohol laced fuel is one its way out. Maybe this is the beginning.

http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2013/11/ethanol_reduction_in_fuel_prop.html
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JudoJeff wrote:
It might sound crazy to replace fuel lines more often, but the new fuels are tough on the rubber components. E20 is around the corner, and even the E10 is causing problems with my old two cycle boat engine.

Not going to get into an in-depth discussion on the effects of E20, but it's a good idea to stay on top of your fuel lines,and plan on more frequent replacement with the best you can find.

This is the reason I stated above, that I'm planning to do it every 2 years. The new gas with ethanol is very hard on the rubber and it's not like the old days, where a rubber hose would last for years.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DAV!D wrote:
This is the reason I stated above, that I'm planning to do it every 2 years. The new gas with ethanol is very hard on the rubber and it's not like the old days, where a rubber hose would last for years.

Granted they don't have AS MUCH rubber fuel hose but don't you think fuel line replacement would be listed as routine maintanance for more modern cars if a 2-year replacement schedule was necessary? My wife's 01 Jetta is doing just fine as is my 94 Pathfinder and they have never seen new fuel hoses.

To each their own but I plan to look over my (new) lines every now and then, give a sniff for gas fumes, and not worry much more about it for the next 10 years. The last ones held up for 20 years and were exposed to E10 for a fair bit of time before I swapped them. They showed no signs of cracks or splits when I pulled them off. I expect my R90 hoses to do at least as well.
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCM wrote:

Granted they don't have AS MUCH rubber fuel hose but don't you think fuel line replacement would be listed as routine maintanance for more modern cars if a 2-year replacement schedule was necessary? My wife's 01 Jetta is doing just fine as is my 94 Pathfinder and they have never seen new fuel hoses.

To each their own but I plan to look over my (new) lines every now and then, give a sniff for gas fumes, and not worry much more about it for the next 10 years. The last ones held up for 20 years and were exposed to E10 for a fair bit of time before I swapped them. They showed no signs of cracks or splits when I pulled them off. I expect my R90 hoses to do at least as well.

Modern cars usually don't have a lot of rubber hose and are usually mostly metal lines with a few limited areas that are rubber. It's not quite the same as what we have in our vans.

Honestly, it took me about 2hrs and a little over $60 for quality German fuel line to replace just about every line in my engine compartment. So why not replace them?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole Vanagon system is fire prone. Lots of rubber in the engine compartment with rubber and plastic running forward that can carry a fire to the tank, coupled with a tank with dual bottom ports that will easily feed a fire by gravity once a fire reaches it. The boxer engine design also lets fuel accumulate on the top of the engine should a leak occur instead of just running onto the ground as would happen on many cars. The Vanagon isn't as bad as a Bus but it is pretty bad.

On both my '91 Multivan and 83 1/2 POS I now have steel line running fore and aft for both the supply and return lines. The junctions between the steel and the rubber in the engine compartment are as high as I can reasonably make them. On the 83 1/2 I also have a spring loaded check valve in the return to prevent back flow by gravity should there be a fire.
Brickwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

5.5mm and 7.3mm NBR/CR is what we use, no issues.

For diesel we use FPM/ECO, again with no issues.

I don't understand this fascination people have with replacing the polyamide tube with rubber either, the more poly the better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Wild....metal.
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steam clouds from gas hitting hot engine and exhaust is a frightening sight. Likewise the enormous puddle of gasoline running out from under the van. I've had problematic leaks from where hose connects to fuel rail, this was not like that. I was nervous about fine spray type leaks, as we all should be.

This was a BIG failure! The deterioration of the line was horrifying. The amount of gas was nothing like previous leaks. The whole hose was fill of cracks and fissures.

I have no idea how I was so fortunate.

And I have really and truly been initiated into the group that chants "change your fuel lines!"

There may be extenuating circumstances that caused such a failure, and we will be very, very careful about the type of line we use to replace these and the heat and abrasion resistant sheathing put on the lines. But blasé about fuel lines? Never again.
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit submit twice
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Debbie, the difference between 30r9 and 30r14 (high pressure variant) hose is the amount of fuel which permeates through the hose over a set period of time. By specification the 30r14 hose passes far less fuel than the 30r9 fuel. When used with the old OEM sheaths the 30r9 hose will sometimes sweat a goo like substance for a while, I have not heard of this happening with 30r14 hose, but the 30r14 hose is fairly new on the market and any problems it has may not be all that well documented as of yet.

On my 83 1/2 I recently used 30r9 hose and some braided sheathing I got from my local NAPA. So far so good.
CampWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:
Anyone know the life expectancy of the high quality hose like the GW deluxe kit?

I purchased GoWesty's high quality kit earlier this year and they said to "Have your mechanic check after 7 years."
Vanagon Nation Facebook Group

Instrument Cluster Foil Repair Kits - Fix your faulty blue foil for good!
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

debbiej - you need to take that fuel hose over to the shop and describe what happened

if for no other reason, they need to be alert to not put that low pressure (and maybe really old) fuel hose on someone else's car and kill them

if I was you, I'd find another shop too
debbiej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah to both. Shocked
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds to me like it's worth bending up hard line for as much of it as can be done. it's not that difficult to bend up some pieces of stainless steel tube this small.

I agree about some heat shield too...although covering up the hose...well out of sight, out of mind.

a well made kit of fitted hard fuel lines for our vehicles should be a good seller.
even at an inflated price it's still cheap insurance agents fire. let alone the hassle of re working the fuel lines time and time again.
I know I've dumped a tre-frekin mendous amount of cash into my rig and some kind of better than average fuel line is on my short list of things to do.

glad to hear you escaped the grim reaper of fire this time debbiej.
happy thanksgiving to you and hope your post motivates and save some more vans ! Smile
luVWagn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: EJ25 fuel line almost came off Reply with quote

In a related issue, albeit not about type of fuel line, I found this in my EJ25 conversion the other day:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Try as I might, after loosening the hose-clamp and wrangling the hose with all my might, I only got to here:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anybody have tips for getting that line seated further?

At least now, it is about 1cm displaced, and I have an eyeball gauge based on the clamp on the line above it.

There's more to checking your FI system than just the lines Confused
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: