Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What increases the value of a bus
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mojogoat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: What increases the value of a bus Reply with quote

I'm restoring a 78 Westy CEII to sell to finance the work I'm going to do on a 77 Riviera. I've started from the engine compartment which looks new now and the chassis is almost done. I'm installing an alarm, power door locks, back up sensors, inverter, led lighting, and a nice sound system. Anything desirable that I can install when I have the interior out?
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What increases the value of a bus Reply with quote

mojogoat wrote:
I'm installing an alarm, power door locks, back up sensors, inverter, led lighting, and a nice sound system.

So you did that to lower the value of the bus?
mojogoat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't consider a bay window such a rare classic not to be updated, maybe in another 10-20 years it will reach that status.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojogoat wrote:
I don't consider a bay window such a rare classic not to be updated, maybe in another 10-20 years it will reach that status.

What you are doing may appeal to some but not the majority in my experience. Less is more on any classic. If your intent is to make it what it is not - then by adding that stuff will get you there fast.

Any bus restored to as close to stock with as many correct parts as it was the day it was new will in the end be far more valuable than a bus with later technology added. That stuff can be added by the person that buys it. Working with a clean slate if they choose. Because the other end of that spectrum is the person that will enjoy the bus for what it is.

That said there is a fine line between a tasteful addition and one that ruins the whole thing. This is a relative issue and can be argued all day long.

Ive found that period correct and or factory options seem to win over any crowd. Cant complain when it was possible to have that back in 1978 Wink

Tread lightly as a "valuable addition" is fought with argument and opinion. In the end you will know if your choices sell or not.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, you have to consider the target market carefully and where thier bank accounts are at, not everyone shares your personal tastes in "modifications" or "upgrades" so unless you cater to a specific market you'll be wasting bucks and time and even then you won't please all the people all the time, most buyers prefer tp personalize to thier taste anyways if that's the way they roll, if they have to undo your personal idea of upgrades it detracts from the selling price or potential offer.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

value = original anything and everything. some updates can add value but most don't increase resale at all. paint does not increase resale unless it's top level work. original paint almost always worth more. professionally rebuilt original engine (with receipts) increases value. properly done mechanical repairs are good for resale - new OE quality brake components, driveline service (CV's, boots), suspension components. clean undercarriage. original interior materials and trim in good condition.

electronics, aftermarket anything, features not originally equipped (the power door locks, back up sensors, LED lights) these will only cost you money for no benefit to resale. much better to put time and effort into basic mechanical service.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more non stock stuff added to a rig, particularly electrical stuff, the more things to go wrong and to possibly catch on fire. The first thing I do when I buy an old rig is to remove all the PO's electrical hacks. If there is something I want I can always but it back with the correct size wiring, fuses, etc. all neatly laid out.

One fact about people is that they like the modifications they make even if the modifications don't work all that well, while the potential buyer sees the same modifications and just thinks, WTF would anyone do this.
mojogoat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only upgrades I plan so far that will not look stock will be the seat belts and backup sensors, everything else will be hidden or incorporated into existing fixtures. I'm still deciding on removing the solar panel/system or leaving it installed.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone desires to have electrically aimed outside rear view mirrors they are better off getting a new car that was built with them and all the other related bling and trinkets. A modded classic quits being a classic at some point.

But with the new trend in popularity of Bays being centered around appearance attraction only versus the entire vehicle we may be getting closer to the final solution. A fibreglass replica shell to glue over some current model new car body.
GeorgeO.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not the most stunning Bay in the neighborhood, I do get looks, I do get offers (Low ball offers at that), and it does bring me closer to people who love VW buses and VWs in general. It may not be worth much to collectors, but it's precious to me.

1973 Westfalia with Eurostyle power train.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojogoat wrote:
Only upgrades I plan so far that will not look stock will be the seat belts and backup sensors, everything else will be hidden or incorporated into existing fixtures. I'm still deciding on removing the solar panel/system or leaving it installed.

It almost sounds like you wish a blessing to sleep at night? A mod is a mod weather its seen or not. If its not supposed to be there then it will, WILL detract from the value in which you inquired.

Please dont kid yourself and or waist the time of others if all you seek is a blessing for which you have plans for anyways.

You asked for opinion and you've received it.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

original condition X rarity increases the value of a bus

an original Westy is a prime example of the most common model

a hacked ambulance or Kemperink is an abomination.

thou shall not drill. thou shall not weld. thou shall not twist bare wires together and wrap vinyl tape around the abortion you have made.

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
mojogoat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm not a purest, but this bus will be safer and a little more versatile than stock when finished. Now where to put the rear spoiler? Laughing
tiedyevw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that truly increases the value is your desire not to sell it.
828-962-7109 (9am - 8pm M-F)
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mods/no mods aside-

If you make additions to the electrical system, document the wiring diagram and add it in sketch form following the basic VW diagram. Noet the wire colors used and all connections.
Nothing worse than PO hacks where trying to figure out wiring takes hours of wasted effort.

Personally I lean to KISS which the bus is to begin with. More added items just mean more items that will break at some point, and as manufactures change their gear quite rapidly, means whole sale replacement of what ever it was that broke.

Only VW addition I'd make is a locking engine latch
poptop tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound deadening material is a nice thing to do when the interior is out. Running any extra wires to key locations for future use.

A solid dual battery setup.

Third brake light is more important and desirable than backup sensors imho.
mojogoat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran a separate bundle of wires in a conduit connected to terminal blocks on each end for the non stock stuff so its separated form the original wiring. I can't stand loose or exposed wires. Pex works great for conduit.
ned
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" Ask enough people the same question and you will eventually get the answer you want".
mojogoat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda like conservative or progressive ideologies, fanatics in both, with regard to vehicles, I'll be a libertarian.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ned wrote:
" Ask enough people the same question and you will eventually get the answer you want".

I love that quote. Ned gets it.

Mojogoat - in whose eyes do you want to increase the value? Yours? Mine? The average buyer? A 16 year old? In my eyes all the things you have done will cost me money to undo so what you are doing lowers the value. In your eyes it increases the value. Since you are the bus owner do what you want. The market will either agree or disagree with you when you go to sell it.

Last edited by SGKent on Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: