Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

early bay seat belt ID
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: early bay seat belt ID Reply with quote

well, i'm lost. checked the parts book, which doesn't have any illistrations for the position of the belts, and some of the p/n's don't seem to jive anyway. so, here is what i have. the bus in question is a 70 deluxe

*all belts are at the shortest adjustable position*

here is what i think are for the rear seat

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

the top 3 are about 27" from buckle to bracket. the bottom 2 are about 22" i would also like to note that the bottom 2 have huge mount holes, which i assume mean that these 2 belts are made to pivot

these 5 here are about 11"

you will note that (counting from the top) belt 1 and 4 appear to be left and right, where belts 2,3 and 5 are unisex, and the mount bracket is the same direction on all 3, where belts 1 and 4 have 'flipped' brackets

so, the million dollar question is, what are the correct positions in the bus?

sadly, here is 1 middle (late) buckle. you will note the bracket has a hard 90* on it, and it has the plastic protector too. unfortunately, i can't use it

i have a bad feeling middle seat belts are going to be a bitch to find Mad

i ahve tried to find pictures in the gallery, but no dice...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
larryducas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have a middle set from my 71.

A new floor was welded in with no seat mounts. I have no plans for a middle seat. There were lots of parts in a box.

Then my son threw more sets of bus seat belts in.

So, its yours if you want it, and I can find it. I have 2 other sets and odds and ends from 73, and 77. I'm not sure what it looks like also.

If your interested, PM me, and I will take a picture of what I have and send you what you could use.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: early bay seat belt ID Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
i have a bad feeling middle seat belts are going to be a bitch to find Mad

You are correct.
Too bad those are missing thier tags, some could be rear stationwagon or Kombi and some could be Westfalia, I've never compared the 2 for different seat thicknesses. Don't forget bench front seat buses and trucks also use a very similar belt and then there's doublecab rears Shocked

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to this I looked them up in the parts manual but lengths are not listed (interestingly there's a 2 person lap belt for M525 Shocked)
I now recall when I was harvesting parts from a 68 and a 70 for the 71 that there was some difference in the belt lengths in the back, I guess VW was new to the seat belt thing and apparently the average American was a little larger than the average European of the era so the belts grew to accomodate them as years went by.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

larry...sent you a p/m. thanks so much for the offer!

busdaddy....

do you want the p/n's on the belts? some are a 111-xxx-xxx which tells me it could be bug. again, i looked through my early bay parts book and came up empty handed. i will post the p/n's here

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 3 27" belts have a 221 number

the 2 22" belts have a 111 p/n

and the short belts have 221 and 111 p/n's. the 111 belts have the left and right style, with different mounts, or belt 1 and 4 in the first photo i posted

i am in section 8 75-b in the parts book, and coming up empty,,,

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
To add to this I looked them up in the parts manual but lengths are not listed (interestingly there's a 2 person lap belt for M525 Shocked)

So is a M525 for a person with a kid on their lap or is this a code for fat people Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find M525 in this book oddly but it accompanies many of the seat belt numbers for all 3 rows, I suspect it's the belts all arond code that we don't see because it was already included in a package of standard equipment for North America. Since the long belt has a 261 number I suspect it's just a translated parts book speak for center lap belt for a front bench model, the other front shoulder harness' say one person for walkthrough and there's no mention of persons for bench.

I can't see any of Skillz's belt part numbers in my Aug 67 book yet they are obviously for a 68 bus, wierd. Maybe late 68?

Слава Україні!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy...could be late 68. these are belts i got after the fact, and are not from my 70. i need to figure out where i can use them in the bus, by p/n or length.

we both must have the same parts book

yet another reason not to buy someone's project...

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i had to mock up my back seat to see if these would work. it looks like they will do the job.

next question

how do they bolt on, as in, what is the order of parts. again, parts book useless...

is it: bolt thru belt/ washer /rubber seal

or

bolt/washer/belt/washer/rubber seal

fwiw this is the first and last time i but a project that someone else took apart....

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
bolt/washer/belt/washer/rubber seal/floor

This, except for the front shoulder harness obviously.

Слава Україні!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ right on! So now, the thick washer (about 3mm thick) goes top and bottom or just bottom?

Sadly the parts bus I bought for this disaster has no belts, hence no looky...

The fronts are different bolts as they have the plastic rings that ride on the shoulder.

Fronts go bolt/plastic ring/belt/plastic ring/washer/seal/floor if my memory serves me

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall the thick washers but can't remember where they go right now, a spacer to clear something is what rings a bell, possibly where two are stacked on each other?. The rears usually have some sort of lock washer or wave washer under the bolt head, then the belt and then the black plastic washer between the belt and the floor.

Слава Україні!
alikatcraig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always measure, then strip down the existing belts you have and then get some new seat belt webbing from Ebay (various colors available). Any good upholstery shop should be able to stitch them back together. Good time to clean up the steel 90' anchor ends too. You can then use the bug ones as donors to make bus length ones. I have re-done the inertia reels on the fronts and am working on the rear ones at the moment. Adding extra length is a breeze.
1973 Standard Bug
1998 Mexican Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: