Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Four door crew cab?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What would you think of a four-door crew cab?
Leave the stock RHD DC unaltered.
57%
 57%  [ 22 ]
Install the fourth door.
42%
 42%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 38

jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Four door crew cab? Reply with quote

I am facing a modification that I am sure will be controversial:

I intend (and have got the parts and skills lined up) to modify a right-hand-drive double cab pickup to have two crew cab doors -- one on each side -- making it a four door pickup. I will be using NOS and good used parts for the B- and C-pillars, and the door, on the right rear. The parts for the right side crew door are much more common than the parts for the left-side crew door, especially in the US. Since the right side door is what needs to be added, this is possible.

And, dare I say, if VW had ever built this option, this is how it would have looked.

PRO: Increased utility, safer access to curb in traffic for crew cabbers, unique mod.

CON: No longer stock, reasonably permanent modification of the vehicle, requires additional structural reinforcement (such as the shear pans underneath double door sliders).

At this point, the PROs outweigh the CONs for me, but the work is not yet done. I would need a compelling argument to not go ahead with the mod.

I am asking for opinions.

Popcorn
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD

Last edited by jtauxe on Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mojogoat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll put your eye out!!!!
VDubTech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't for the life of me imagine cutting up any truck with such extensive modifications, let alone a RHD, but it's your rig dude, do as you wish. Even if it's well done, and it sounds like it will be, it's still a hack in my eyes. To be perfectly honest I think it's a cool idea, just not something I would ever consider doing myself, especially with such a rare Bus to begin with.
a measurement of your rod would be extremely useful.

notchboy wrote:
my dad wasnt a belittling cock when he tought me how to wrench on cars.

EverettB wrote:
One photo = good for reference.
10 photos = douchebaggery
westy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it. I've thought about it too... but I don't have a RHD. I've also daydreamed about a walk-thru. Maybe if my truck was rustier.
'03 EuroVan Weekender
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Added value spinoff

how about reduced value spinoff?
westcoastmarek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me. T3 has the 4 door TriStar, T1 also has a limited edition 4 door (though can't remember the name right now...)
I drive a 3 door Silverado once in a while and it's a real pain to get stuff in the back if I park close to my hedge...
1979 VW bus, 2L FI, now with a rivi top
1971 7 pass. deluxe
1974 Beetle
dr.bones
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: the door Reply with quote

yes I would do it,its your dc,if you did it right it could almost look like what the factory might had done it.theres always gonna be haters where ever you go,you can please yourself,but not others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westy66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do it. I've thought about it too... but I don't have a RHD. I've also daydreamed about a walk-thru. Maybe if my truck was rustier.
'03 EuroVan Weekender
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More doors for your dummy passengers to not close properly or break by slamming the living daylights out of and an extra set of seals to leak and whistle. No thanks, too much work to install and added asspain to live with to justify the work to install and lost value IMO. Why would you need 4 doors anyways?, police truck that an assault team needs to exit in a heartbeat perhaps?, make the rear passengers play nice and wait thier turn to exit safely, it builds character that way, if they don't like it they should walk (unless you are running a pay per ride taxi service) Very Happy

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
mojogoat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are those who follow and there are those who lead.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking for added value, I don't think this would be the way to go. Just leave it stock to get the most return. If you're just looking to blow wind up your own skirt then do it. I am painting my SC a non-stock color, I'll be putting in the wrong engine,I cut out the oil bath stand. To the purist this would drop the value. I plan on keeping it a long time. It's mine. I know you dropped some pretty pennies on those NOS parts. If your going to keep the DC for long time you will enjoy the mods, but sometime down the road when it's time to sell you may be disappointed.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojogoat wrote:
There are those who follow and there are those who lead.

True, but history is full of bad leaders.
mojogoat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to bad leaders, who gave us the VW?
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mojogoat wrote:
With regard to bad leaders, who gave us the VW?

Napoleon..?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see it adding any value as people always wanted to be bone stock. Bone stock is the only way maximum values obtained in any of these cars. But I would still do it anyway!

There are plenty of stock double cabs out there for people to look at. Twisted Evil

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

There are plenty of stock double cabs out there for people to look at. Twisted Evil

RHD in the USA?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babysnakes wrote:
notchboy wrote:

RHD in the USA?

No, you got me there. Crying or Very sad

I think most restorations are "in the spirit - not the true definition" because the parts have long since left the vehicle, been replaced or past owners just kept her going. If a car is a shell - void of anything it ever had when new - then sky is the limit - take it down any path you want because even a mod vw is one more vw on the road - as opposed to a concourse resto that will probably never see the road again as its coddled and packed away for its one or two jaunts a year for shows. Rolling Eyes

The 74 I am restoring. It has all it came with from the factory in good unmolested shape - I feel very fortunate to find a camper in this condition at all. It deserves a - as close as I can get it restoration. Ad ons will be what was possible in 1974. And I think I'm fudging by doing that because it wasn't actually installed on the vehicle. But I want those bits on so Im putting those on. Most people I think will appreciate period accessories but there will be that one guy that will ask for the Mcode - be sure of that.

Have you guys seen the split window bus mods lately? Buses worth 3-4 times what a bay is worth get hacked and lowered daily as common place. Are bay window owners to be the last bastion of stock? Laughing

Taste differs as much as looks. I always find it interesting to see what this group says - as they lean to the conservative side of "restorations" in general - myself included.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Taste differs as much as looks. I always find it interesting to see what this group says - as they lean to the conservative side of "restorations" in general.

I did not vote on the poll. The OP needs to determine what is in his best interest. I gave my .02, neither here nor there. What ever makes a guy happy. Wink
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it will make me happy to have the four doors. I know it is not stock. It adds value to me, if not some future owner. Just like the 2.0-L FI engine that is in it. The stock engine would be a 1600 upright. This engine upgrade is a definite improvement. Does it add value? To me it most certainly does. To a future owner, it would if it were me, but I can see how others would not appreciate it. If it is someone who wants to bring it back to stock, switching the engine back is not a big deal. Heck -- the value of the 2.0-L on the open market could easily pay for that job.

The fourth door is a bit different, in that it is not easily returned to stock (though not impossible either). It does, however, add a lot of utility, and it is done in the proper spirit and execution, so I would not call it a hack job, like those poor buses that are turned into "pickups".

And since when do people care about a RHD drive vehicle in the US? I would not think it is more desirable. It's more of a curiosity. Certain parts have to be obtained from the UK, which is expensive. It is not good for two-lane highways. It is a lot of fun to put a passenger in the front left seat with no steering wheel, though! They usually are very uncomfortable. I keep a spare steering wheel under the seat to hand them, but for some reason it does not put them more at ease. Smile

I do intend to keep this vehicle forever. So resale value will be to the executor of my estate (and my heirs).
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And there you have it! Post pics of the mod in progress.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: