Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for GoWesty Cruise Control experiences
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coclimber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
16CV's wrote:
So if you've done this and have an A/T 2.1 2WD can you tell me what your pin setting are ? I have been playing with them and have had mixed success .

I've been going through old loose paperwork that needs filing away and came across my cruise control notes. Took the time to digitize it all:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Remember that my Rostra dates back to around 2000-2003 and the GoWesty settings date back to then. Most importantly, mine is not functioning (one component broke, another broke and went missing and I haven't done any work to repair it... yet).

A chart like this for my set up would be very helpful! Anybody have one?

2001 2.5L 4 cyl Subaru conversion
Rocky Mountain Westy kit
coclimber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few questions for people, who have put this GW CC into a Subaru conversion.

1. Can the GW VSS speed signal wire just be spliced to route to both my GW CC and my Subaru ECU? If you have successfully done this, please do tell!

Or, did you use two completely different VSSes (like a magnet setup for Subaru ECU and the GW VSS directly to CC)

2. What DIP Switch settings did you use to best match a 2.5L Subaru engine?

3. Has anybody successfully put the GW CC into the engine bay and just connected it to the Subaru engine's CC throttle?
Rocky Mountain Westy kit
coclimber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody installed the GW CC with FRONT AC?

Just wondering if the CC unit gets in the way, given the placement of it and all the other junk you'd need up front for front AC to be installed.
Rocky Mountain Westy kit
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the stock setup to the GW offering, but beggars can't be choosers if your van lacked the CC from the factory.
The engagement and disengagement of the stock system is why I prefer it.

I do have numerous 2wd and Syncro specific complete stock systems available for installation by me for those interested...not looking to sell kits or parts of the original systems I have at this time.

I am working with a steering wheel that I have found that has the controls for the CC and helps eliminate the control stalk needed for both systems to work properly and look stock.
This steering wheel will cost around that of a leather SA wheel...$450+ so it wont be a huge seller, but it is a nice upgrade.
More on that later.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the GW cruise with the Small Car front AC system.

You have to move the control until for the cruise to a different place for the whole thing to work.

I chose to mount the cruise control unit on the sheet steel cover Small Car supplies for the fresh air intake.

If you can imagine sitting in the driver seat with the dashboard removed, the controller is mounted on the far driver's side of the steel plate, just behind the brake booster.

In this location there is space to get the Small Car AC system in place without interfering with the cruise control module.

If I had my way I would just move the whole control unit to the engine bay and interface it directly with my Bostig throttle. It wouldn't be hard, just time consuming to build up the wiring harness correctly.

Hope this helps.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrTibbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the rostra universal unit itself (was unaware of the GW solution).

It works very well w/ my Subaru 2.2 setup.

I mounted the control unit in the engine compartment (tucked into the cavity behind the turn signal and lights) and extended the wiring harness to reach to the front of the van. This was the most work intensive part. This way you have a dedicated cable for CC

After that it was fairly simple. Find your hot/cold brake, 12v switched power, etc...and you are good to go. I also used an old brake light switch to act as neutral safety switch.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AudioVox CC-100 has worked like a charm for our Westy and a Kawasaki Concours (motorcycle) before that. It supports reading the primary coil (low voltage side) or a (supplied) VSS sensor.
coclimber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kourt wrote:
I have the GW cruise with the Small Car front AC system.

You have to move the control until for the cruise to a different place for the whole thing to work.

I chose to mount the cruise control unit on the sheet steel cover Small Car supplies for the fresh air intake.

If you can imagine sitting in the driver seat with the dashboard removed, the controller is mounted on the far driver's side of the steel plate, just behind the brake booster.

In this location there is space to get the Small Car AC system in place without interfering with the cruise control module.

If I had my way I would just move the whole control unit to the engine bay and interface it directly with my Bostig throttle. It wouldn't be hard, just time consuming to build up the wiring harness correctly.

Hope this helps.

kourt

Thanks. That helped a lot. I want in-dash AC in the near future too. So, I'm definitely leaning toward installing the GW CC kit in the engine bay now. I already ran OEM quality shielded cable under the van when I did my Subaru conversion, so all the wires I need are there. Just a bit more to work as you mentioned, to cut & connect them up.

My next concern with the Rostra CC module, is it's ability to weather the engine bay. I'll search for info on this next.
Rocky Mountain Westy kit
coclimber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrTibbs wrote:
I used the rostra universal unit itself (was unaware of the GW solution).

It works very well w/ my Subaru 2.2 setup.

I mounted the control unit in the engine compartment (tucked into the cavity behind the turn signal and lights) and extended the wiring harness to reach to the front of the van. This was the most work intensive part. This way you have a dedicated cable for CC

After that it was fairly simple. Find your hot/cold brake, 12v switched power, etc...and you are good to go. I also used an old brake light switch to act as neutral safety switch.

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing. Did you happen to record the DIP SWITCH settings you plugged into the unit?
Rocky Mountain Westy kit
MrTibbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played w/ a few different ones, but the best one seemed to be the out of the box settings.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coclimber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:
I don't know about the Rostra unit that, I think, GW sells, but on the AudioVox I put in our '90 Westy, the computer/controller must be powered down and back up when making changes. That is, if you change the options switches, disconnect the constant 12V source for the computer. When it powers back up, it'll re-read the switches and the changes take effect. At least that's how AudioVox handles it and it can't hurt to try it with the Rostra.

Hi! Based on the install guide for AudioVox, it looks like it requires a vacuum to work. Is that correct? In my 2001 Subaru conversion, I don't really have a vacuum to tie into and it says to absolutely NOT tie into the brake line vacuum in their instructions. Please let me know. Thanks!
Rocky Mountain Westy kit
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GoWesty VSS that plugs into the back of your speedometer WILL NOT supply a usable VSS signal to your Subaru ECU. This is why both
Smallcar and Rocky Mountain Westy use a VSS at the CV joint on the transaxle.
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for GoWesty Cruise Control experiences Reply with quote

2 days on that thing with mediocre success.

Installed by the book (almost). It will sometime kick in (or not), dropping way to low and I have to keep pressing the accel button until something happen.

The Audiovox was 10 time better.

Ready to trow the towel

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for GoWesty Cruise Control experiences Reply with quote

I installed the GW Rostra unit on my Tiico w 4spd manual.

The dip switch settings they recommended from GW were pretty close, I had to change the pulse settings to the next highest level to properly work and not drop the 5MPH sway that some people find.

I also managed to lose the settings chart recommended by GW at some point during the install Sad

What I do have issue with are the fairly lame switches hooked to the clutch and brake. Any slight jar from a good sized road bump will deactivate them, especially through Quebec ! I will try again to get it set to stop doing that. At some points I would see a bump and stick my feet under the pedals to keep it from shutting off Smile

Overall I'm pretty pleased with it.

Ben, you have done maaay more ambitious work than this install, you'll figure it out. Smile

Even after adjusting the play in the cable I still didn't find resolve until I chose the next highest pulse speed.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for GoWesty Cruise Control experiences Reply with quote

metropoj wrote:
...Ben, you have done maaay more ambitious work than this install, you'll figure it out...

I know of a recent case where a well-regarded local mechanic was brought to his knees trying to get the Rostra to work. Last I heard he had obtained a replacement unit and was still trying.
ftp2leta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for GoWesty Cruise Control experiences Reply with quote

Thanks guys, it's working sometime? Both switch do work even if yes they are lame.

The drop is not 5mph but more like 20, ha ha ha.

The click (engage) can be here only one out of 2 time.

Like other have said here the 1/8 play on the cable is plain stupid... where? the pedal as way more then that even tight.

I have played with the dip switch all over the place. But I read here that the main plug need to be disconnected each time???????????
Crap that is plain stupid

Ben
My site: http://www.benplace.com/vw2.htm
Subi conversion: http://www.benplace.com/vanaru_eng.htm
Youtube http://www.youtube.com/user/ftp2leta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fuzzyip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for GoWesty Cruise Control experiences Reply with quote

I've got the GW CC on my van and I've been very happy with the performance.

Upon defining speed, it drops a little bit before getting up to speed and then the speed oscillates a little bit but this does not bother me.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for GoWesty Cruise Control experiences Reply with quote

Golly Ben, this is worrisome, you're usually the guy we look up to for answers!

Here's two cruise control links..... What is available

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=659845&highlight=

And my Rostra installation which is installed but the settings are driving me BATTY!!!
I KNOW how you are feeling!

Soon I'll be on the highway making frequent adjustments to the settings hoping for the gold ring!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660161&highlight=

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for GoWesty Cruise Control experiences Reply with quote

Installed another GW kit this weekend.

1988 Syncro manual 2.1

Coupla runs down the highway to dial it in. Works beautifully.
Tips that I learned from this install to pass along.....

- remove the accelerator linkage cover completely for the installation, then reassemble after marking the position of the threaded P clip on the cable housing. Replace housing last.

- this van has a rebuilt throttle body and that seemed to make a big difference in smoothness of operation

- this install used the wireless CC Switch which we mounted to the underside of the steering wheel using VHB tape and a modified switch bracket. Instructions indicate the switch would be screwed onto the wheel, making it difficult to replace the switch battery and besides, drill into the steering wheel?

- the control module mounts nicely in a horizontal orientation on top of the front beam right behind the glove box. This required some mild work with a heat gun to bend the backside of the glovebox to fit.

Very nice kit, wiring harness is ample. Wireless switch a great extra on the steering wheel.(no drilling!)

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
raspyni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coclimber wrote:
I have a few questions for people, who have put this GW CC into a Subaru conversion.

1. Can the GW VSS speed signal wire just be spliced to route to both my GW CC and my Subaru ECU? If you have successfully done this, please do tell!

Or, did you use two completely different VSSes (like a magnet setup for Subaru ECU and the GW VSS directly to CC)

2. What DIP Switch settings did you use to best match a 2.5L Subaru engine?

3. Has anybody successfully put the GW CC into the engine bay and just connected it to the Subaru engine's CC throttle?

Wow what a find. 7 years later I have this same question, with a few differences.

Just about to finish installing the GW CC and really wondering if anyone has DIP Switch settings that would work for my set up: Subaru 2.2 with Manual Transmission.

I have used a VSS since my conversion that works perfectly to feed the Subaru ECU. Have read on this board that the GW VSS won't satisfy the ECU Sad

I've installed it behind the glove box as per the directions and feel good about the cable feed. I'll report back. Mainly hoping for some DIP Switch help.

Thanks.
Barry
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: