Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

STOLEN: 1987 Vanagon Westfalia (Seattle) **FOUND**
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flomulgator wrote:
Cartzest,
Lake City is inside the limits of the City of Seattle, which is in King County. They probably were booked downtown with the Seattle PD.
what a PIA that whole process is. I have spent over an hour in phone tree hell trying to get info on the arrests from 206 684-5454. After this experience, i have great empathy for those who have had their sh!t stolen. I have reached the end of the phone tree over 15x and been disconnected.

Maxine can request a copy of the police report from [email protected], by noting the police report #, license # and a few other things (I could not write fast enough before the recording said goodbye). I am happy to request this info, but I feel kinda weird doing it, though, I am over it already as we are soooo close to stopping these bastards that I can almost taste it Evil or Very Mad I understand she is quite busy and cannot get to see the van until tomorrow. I will try again tomorrow, but, I have a huge job interview tomorrow and need to get off grid and study myself some electrical theory and sh!t so I can sound intelligent Laughing

We need to get the names and police report # and get the media involved. We are on a roll. Anyone up there and local, please try to get the info. I am flying blind down here. Be persistent. Call and ask for records and lets get this info out there. Cool
Mad Maxine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I talked to the detective yesterday. He was very helpful. The people who were arrested were a couple. A black male, 43 (5'9" 180 lb), and a white female, 23 (5'6", 140 lb, blonde). A third person at the trailer park where the van was found was also arrested. I'd be really surprised if the two in the van were the thieves. I've never seen them in the neighborhood, but that being said, they both report addresses Ballard. Going after them for recompense probably won't make anyone's lives better. Maybe the other guy was involved, but the possibilities of what happened are endless.

I haven't seen the van yet--will leave it at impound until the adjuster can look at it. I will be surprised if there's more than $500 worth of damage (deductible limit). Detective said that the van was surprisingly clean. My original package of insurance and driver's manuals were still in the glovebox. Tools and repair manuals were still onboard. Not sure what's left in the cabinets... Also, it smells like cigarettes and the gas cap was removed (DAMMIT). No drug paraphernalia, fortunately.

Vehicle located in a trailer park at 2200 block of NE 88th. It kind of rolled out of a space at the site and was awkwardly driven back in. That little moment alerted the police, who then ran the plate. Talk about dumb luck!

Detective didn't know about the serial disappearance of the vans, so I'm sending him a link to this blog and website and the video so he can investigate. Maybe he can put two and two together with prints and such. I'll keep him in the loop if I find anything weird in there.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh lovely neighborhood. sure looks like they can afford a ~$10K++ camper.. (presumption and prejudice I know). Embarassed
took a look in Google street view and maybe someone can talk VWs with the MK-II Jetta & Golf here? have the detective ask them if they've seen anyone asking questions regarding a vintage vanagon (same vintage) with these 2 guys/gals Question
not saying they did the theft but maybe noticed the van in the days or had someone approach them about it sale/service/etc.. a detective can read the body language after that point. Idea

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

of course it being a college area they may not even live there anymore since the google car drove by.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J Charlton Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: names etc Reply with quote

Mad Maxine wrote:
I talked to the detective yesterday. He was very helpful. The people who were arrested were a couple. A black male, 43 (5'9" 180 lb), and a white female, 23 (5'6", 140 lb, blonde). A third person at the trailer park where the van was found was also arrested. I'd be really surprised if the two in the van were the thieves. I've never seen them in the neighborhood, but that being said, they both report addresses Ballard. Going after them for recompense probably won't make anyone's lives better. Maybe the other guy was involved, but the possibilities of what happened are endless.

I haven't seen the van yet--will leave it at impound until the adjuster can look at it. I will be surprised if there's more than $500 worth of damage (deductible limit). Detective said that the van was surprisingly clean. My original package of insurance and driver's manuals were still in the glovebox. Tools and repair manuals were still onboard. Not sure what's left in the cabinets... Also, it smells like cigarettes and the gas cap was removed (DAMMIT). No drug paraphernalia, fortunately.

Vehicle located in a trailer park at 2200 block of NE 88th. It kind of rolled out of a space at the site and was awkwardly driven back in. That little moment alerted the police, who then ran the plate. Talk about dumb luck!

Detective didn't know about the serial disappearance of the vans, so I'm sending him a link to this blog and website and the video so he can investigate. Maybe he can put two and two together with prints and such. I'll keep him in the loop if I find anything weird in there.

Get the names and pictures of the 3 involved - we can start a thread on each -
"Stolen Vanagon Found In" (name -------) then the persons name will be evident, hopefully with a picture and will be easily searchable and easy to link to from any social media
The text should be strictly factual. EG. "Found in and arrested at the time of police recovery of stolen vanagon."
and for the third person: "Arrested at the time of police recovery of stolen vanagon."
If lots of folks share the link to the threads, which hopefully will have pictures perhaps others might think twice before they rip off a vehicle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E34M20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Maxine wrote:
I talked to the detective yesterday. He was very helpful. The people who were arrested were a couple. A black male, 43 (5'9" 180 lb), and a white female, 23 (5'6", 140 lb, blonde). A third person at the trailer park where the van was found was also arrested. I'd be really surprised if the two in the van were the thieves.

Hey Maxine - I'd be willing to bet these are the same folks who stole my van. There was a pair of men's and women's sunglasses in my console when it was found. Have the detective kick them both in the genitals for me, would ya? Twisted Evil

In all seriousness tho - ask the detective to find out what happened to the scooter and other gear the police recovered from my van. The scooter was loaded with oily fingerprints... Could be helpful...
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, if Seattle is anything like Portland, they have long since been released with a stern Rolling Eyes warning not to do it again...

Glad you got your van back!
Mad Maxine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E34M20 wrote:
Mad Maxine wrote:
I talked to the detective yesterday. He was very helpful. The people who were arrested were a couple. A black male, 43 (5'9" 180 lb), and a white female, 23 (5'6", 140 lb, blonde). A third person at the trailer park where the van was found was also arrested. I'd be really surprised if the two in the van were the thieves.

Hey Maxine - I'd be willing to bet these are the same folks who stole my van. There was a pair of men's and women's sunglasses in my console when it was found. Have the detective kick them both in the genitals for me, would ya? Twisted Evil

In all seriousness tho - ask the detective to find out what happened to the scooter and other gear the police recovered from my van. The scooter was loaded with oily fingerprints... Could be helpful...

No sh*t? Interesting. which van was yours? Send me the link for your van information, and I'll send it to the detective. Names of the arrested parties were Laine Klepper and Miguel Damian Dandridge. Third individual Santiago Sayles. Laine and Miguel have prior records for various things including theft, domestic violence, crappy driving according to Seattle.gov search...
vanonimous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Laine Klepper of Seattle has a FB picture where the windows behind her look kinda like a van. Laughing But the headrest doesn't match. Hopefully they weren't pimping the girl out of the stolen van then again there is nothing a good deep clean won't take care of.
Maxine why did you think that people arrested maybe weren't the ones who actually stole your van? I would think the opposite.
Our state has weird laws where pot is legal, euthanasia is legal, car thieves get let out repeatedly but punching an intruder in the mouth is criminal or riding your own bike on the rear wheel is misdemeanor, ask me how I know. No wonder these loosers do it again and again. They face no serious consequences.
I used to live in Vienna Austria for some years where non-violent offenders get forced rehab. They learn to read, write, speak, listen, work, they learn basics of how the society works and how to respect others. Only after they are fully brainwashed they get let out.

Lighting upgrades: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=578291
Mad Maxine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, found your post about your Synchro and sent it to the detective. If anyone else here has any other good evidence that might indicate a relationship between the people caught with our van and other incidents, please chime in.

For some reason, the arrested people aren't showing up in the Seattle.gov site as currently being defendants in the system. Also, the case number isn't showing up.

The more I look into it, the more it looks like they could be the thieves. There's so much BS out in the world that nothing surprises me any more.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Maxine wrote:
Ok, found your post about your Synchro and sent it to the detective. If anyone else here has any other good evidence that might indicate a relationship between the people caught with our van and other incidents, please chime in.

For some reason, the arrested people aren't showing up in the Seattle.gov site as currently being defendants in the system. Also, the case number isn't showing up.

The more I look into it, the more it looks like they could be the thieves. There's so much BS out in the world that nothing surprises me any more.
Quote:
"Names of the arrested parties were Laine Klepper and Miguel Damian Dandridge. Third individual Santiago Sayles. Laine and Miguel have prior records for various things including theft, domestic violence, crappy driving according to Seattle.gov search…"

Could you please post or PM me the case #?
Thanks!
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps in the new year when things may be less hectic, it would be a good idea to write your city council, your local state representative and your local federal representative. Perhaps, just perhaps the story may catch someone's eye. Show them how serious you take this. Just an idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off topic but worth the story (I'll be short). I'm glad you have recovered your Vanagon!

Local water district staff had pulled a 14 hour day due to a water main break. They drove the F-450 Ford truck, trailer and excavator back to the shop and parked it inside a locked chain link fence area with cameras.

Next morning, 4:00 am, dude is seen cutting lock and driving away with the truck, trailer and excavator.

Fast forward one month on 10/12/13, dude (not sure if same individual) was driving the loot on I-81 in Tennessee... a little green light on the dash began to flash indicating water in fuel. The dude stopped. Tennessee state police driving by, stopped to assist. Dude had a different tag. Troopers always run license plates, regardless of reason for stopping or assisting.

Loot recovered .... dude in jail. Cops got loads of info and contacts according to the detective! Dude is still in jail (crossing state line made it a big deal, apparently)

The little green little was faulty............... LOL!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GWTWTLW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Do you think some tweaker would pull over in a stolen vanagon if the oil or coolant lights came on? Somehow I doubt it...
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWTWTLW wrote:
Nice! Do you think some tweaker would pull over in a stolen vanagon if the oil or coolant lights came on? Somehow I doubt it...

Bank robbers have been know to answer the phone and stay on the line until the police got there. Most people who do this kind of thing are missing a lot of marbles.
mariusstrom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanonimous wrote:
Wow, Laine Klepper of Seattle has a FB picture where the windows behind her look kinda like a van. Laughing But the headrest doesn't match. Hopefully they weren't pimping the girl out of the stolen van then again there is nothing a good deep clean won't take care of.

... and searching for Miguel Dandridge on Facebook returns a guy matching the description who is friends with Laine Klepper. Photos of Laine do look Vanagon-ish, but I'm not sure it is a Van.
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mariusstrom wrote:
vanonimous wrote:

... and searching for Miguel Dandridge on Facebook returns a guy matching the description who is friends with Laine Klepper. Photos of Laine do look Vanagon-ish, but I'm not sure it is a Van.
i did the same. He looks like a standup guy Rolling Eyes
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a Vanagon and that the grey headrest is just adjusted too low for her head. You can see the hole for the headrest right above her shoulder.

It's also interesting both people have sunglasses. Wonder if the ones found are the same style as the ones found...

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
Mad Maxine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mr. Dandridge, who was in the vehicle when it was found, was 43. According to the cops, there are several people who use that name in Seattle.

Should be coordinating with the adjuster next week. We'll see how that goes.

Have any other vans gone missing since ours was found?
Mad Maxine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this and assume it's still missing?
Stolen Van Alerts

The vans listed below are currently missing. Sad

If you see any of the vans listed below, please call 911 to report them.

Year: 1990
Model: Syncro Westfalia Weekender
Color: Silver with black bedliner
License:
VIN:
Notable details:

Missing from: Seattle, WA
Missing since: Nov. 24, 2013

Further info: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1561613
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: