Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Did you buy your van as an investment or to enjoy it?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you feel about customizing your Vanagon?
I would I never want to customize my Vanagon in any way since It would lower its value.
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
I would like to customize my Vanagon but won't do so since I worry it will lower its value.
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
I customize and add accessories but worry that they may decrease its value.
9%
 9%  [ 10 ]
I'll cut, drill, and weld anything on my Vanagon to suit my needs and wishes.
85%
 85%  [ 93 ]
Total Votes : 109

canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Did you buy your van as an investment or to enjoy it? Reply with quote

There are many comments like the following ones on The Samba so here are a couple to get the ball rolling. Don't mean to pick on your guys but they were easy quotes to find.

plummerdesign wrote:
I always wanted one. Fear of destroying the value...
Rolling Eyes

insyncro wrote:
vw7266 wrote:
everyone needs to get over this afarid to drill holes stuff

its just a bumper

The main reason that my vans appraise higher than most is no drilling of sheet metal and especially the Westy tops.
Rolling Eyes

Seeing this on a regular basis on this forum drives me nuts. I too used to be a purist and have had old bugs and busses which I kept original. But once I started modding and customizing my vehicles to suit my wishes and needs I enjoyed them even more.

If you own a Vanagon because of its value then you are a fool to take it on the road. It should be kept in a secured climate controlled garage with a valid appraisal and adequate insurance coverage.

If you own a Vanagon because it is your vehicle of choice and you intend to use it then whats the problem? Do what you want with it.

Especially to the guys that have done engine conversions or added tire carriers or replaced entire panels, whats the big deal about a few extra holes for an awning or whatever other accessory you may want. Last I checked metal can be welded and everything else can be replaced.

I knew a guy whose decked out late 60's baja bug was appraised at almost $5000 more than his mint Split Window bug.

Enjoy your vans, use them, have fun with them. Very Happy
Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift
Custom Bumpers with receivers
Coast Mountain Hightop - Comming Soon

1985 2wd Vanagon Pre-runner in the making
soon to be powered by 2.5L Subaru
Custom Lift
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really??? Buy it and use it to enjoy it..... Unless it's a Syncro Westy it's not really an investment vehicle....even then....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
shadetreetim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let this picture speak for me

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!

'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'74 Jeep CJ5
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the way things are going so far Wink

dobryan: Especially a Syncro Westy should be used in my book. Get away from it all in comfort Smile

shadetreetim: You need to post some more pics of your rack setup. Cool
Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift
Custom Bumpers with receivers
Coast Mountain Hightop - Comming Soon

1985 2wd Vanagon Pre-runner in the making
soon to be powered by 2.5L Subaru
Custom Lift
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot one, "I customize things, as long as it does not require drilling holes because drilling holes in a classic vehicle is just wrong. Wrong I tell you!" LOL And, I think it increases or makes no effect to the value.

Never really occurred to me that customizing things would decrease it's value though...I'm not sure I believe that. Kind of depends more on what is done, how popular it is, how useful it is, if you can see it...

I drilled one hole for the new Fire Extinguisher. Used one of the holes that were already there, but the others did not line up. It was painful for me and my Vanagon did not like it, but I'm sure it appreciated a new larger working fire extinguisher all the same!

Then, there is the hole on my console. One little lone hole that was probably there to hold a GPS or radar detector or something. It seriously irritates me the person didn't use Velcro! LOL The OCD part of my brain looked at it when I was buying it, but my inner critic told me not to say anything b/c they'd think I was nuts. LOL Got to look for one of those and a digital clock at the same time. I really need to go to California! Wink

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really!? This is a post that belittles van owners that don't use their vans to the fullest or tweek them to their harts content. Yet, should the unfortunate day come that your current van gets ruined, which van are you going to buy? The one with funky flower paint job and the battle scars to prove it's been to hell and back or the one with low miles and decent original paint that has never left the pavement. Enjoy your van and do with it as you wish, but don't knock the guy who likes a clean original van. And no, the van I am building is nowhere close to original.

Hans
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I built my Syncro Westy from an ugly roller by adding a roof section and a Multivan interior,transmission engine and paint job ,I feel I have Carte Blanc to do as I please . But I am still a bit of a pussy about drilling holes .
I recently mounted my F45S awning and drilled 2 holes to mount the brackets ,it's done now and I know it wont fall off or crack the rain gutter .
Today I drilled my GW bumper and a hole through the body to run an accessory plug and keep the wiring as short and clean as possible . The hole is a little higher than I wanted and it shows just a Skosh . I do think long and hard before drilling any holes though .
When it comes to my Syncro Tristar ,drilling or modifying beyond straight bolt on is a true No No . At 318.000 miles it 90 % stock . It has a few Patched antenna holes in the roof and a hole at the back of the cab for a bed light ,but I didn't do it .
I have seen cars being restored after numerous owners added that special little touch .

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm no purist as I have built and worked on some of the most custom and tweaked Vanagons out there, but also finance my personal van builds by buying and selling pristine, bone stock and un molested vans.
I have had the appraisals by professionals and have seen that stock appreciates and used or customized have a value but far below a Stocker in A+++ shape.
Do as you please and when you want a beautiful van in years to come...you know where to find some of them.
Save your pennies....the prices will knock your socks off.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A topic for opining but fairly useless for meaningful discussion.

There is no right or wrong way to enjoy the vans and anyone who buys one as an 'investment' is unclear on the concept.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:

There is no right or wrong way to enjoy the vans and anyone who buys one as an 'investment' is unclear on the concept.

More true if you just own one van, not so true if you own multiple Wink
Gunldesnapper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm already eyeballing the area below the stereo as a spot to cut so i can install a good 2 DIMM stereo when its time to upgrade.
wyomingresident
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wait.... I have to clean peanut butter off the seats before I answer the question...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who buys a vehicle (that's not a "Blue Chip" sports car) as an "investment" is either a moron and/or has more money than sense. Another way to say it is... A Vanagon is NOT an investment.
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my 1.8T, Weitec springs, BRM's, ScanMaster, cruise control, westy interior in a tin top (PO installed) and future changes... I cannot imagine NOT having these mods done.

For me its about FUN...
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer: Both.

Investment (noun) -Process of exchanging income for an asset that is expected to produce earnings at a later time.

Fun (noun) -Someone or something that is amusing or enjoyable : and enjoyable experience or person.

One could put money into many other things (stocks, real estate, small businesses, etc) that will generate a higher return. But vanagons are gaining value, and certainly a better place to put your money than any number of other classics vehicles.

I think it's safe to say everyone here probably has some disposable income, and we all like to have some fun... if not we wouldn't own a vanagon (or any classic for that matter) in the first place. If we were solely going about our lives only to generate money, our spirits would surely suffer.

Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
kalispell365
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

61Scout wrote:
Short answer: Both.

Investment (noun) -Process of exchanging income for an asset that is expected to produce earnings at a later time.

Fun (noun) -Someone or something that is amusing or enjoyable : and enjoyable experience or person.

One could put money into many other things (stocks, real estate, small businesses, etc) that will generate a higher return. But vanagons are gaining value, and certainly a better place to put your money than any number of other classics vehicles.

I think it's safe to say everyone here probably has some disposable income, and we all like to have some fun... if not we wouldn't own a vanagon (or any classic for that matter) in the first place. If we were solely going about our lives only to generate money, our spirits would surely suffer.

Kevin

TRUTH!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:
Anyone who buys a vehicle (that's not a "Blue Chip" sports car) as an "investment" is either a moron and/or has more money than sense. Another way to say it is... A Vanagon is NOT an investment.

That is the most hilarious statement I have heard in a long time.

Dude, if you only knew the potential gains from buying and selling good, clean Vanagons and especially Syncros.

My accountant tends to agree.
ThankYouJerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:
ThankYouJerry wrote:

That is the most hilarious statement I have heard in a long time.

Dude, if you only knew the potential gains from buying and selling good, clean Vanagons and especially Syncros.

My accountant tends to agree.

For the average owner (not flipper) you must factor in not only repairs and mods, but also... storage, taxes, annual registration and insurance. You're not making a return on investment until all is factored in.

My accountant would kill me if I told him I was moving everything into Vanagons.
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThankYouJerry wrote:

Good Summary!

Maybe, a Syncro, definitely no 2wd Vanagon - OTOH, who knows how crazy people will be in the future

You would be far better off in a mid-cap stock mutual fund. Even if your business is to find, buy, fix up, and resell Vanagons, that is labor. If it is only a hobby, fine.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all that needs to happen to devalue our beloved westfalias is VW & Subaru in conjunction to develop a small cab forward van chassis that will travel 4-6 sleep 4 in comfort with all the modern conveniences of power traction and reliability for under $30k.

then watch the ceilign fall out of the vanagon camper & Syncro market.

till then.. ???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: