Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
2WD lift springs
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ehoff
Samba Member


Joined: May 22, 2013
Posts: 65
Location: Raleigh, nc
ehoff is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: 2WD lift springs Reply with quote

I am interesting in de-sagging the suspension on my 2WD full westy. I am debating on going with the progressive GW lift springs or the almost stock, non progressive, baby lift, syncro.org springs.

Can anyone with the progressive springs speak to their van's handling after the install?

Any information and/or opinions appreciated.

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
akyrie
Samba Member


Joined: March 24, 2010
Posts: 517
Location: Driftless, Wisco
akyrie is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the cutting board lifts? you can add space to the top and bottom for almost free-to get rid of the sagging butt.


Search: fixing sagging but or something like that will get some answers. been done here a lot and tons of information on the search button.

I don't have an opinion on it otherwise.
_________________
Although I got a funny message from the Porsche guys, it read, "what a mighty ship that you must sail"
....has anyone else received that?

82 AHU DK, 1950's Puch-black
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ehoff
Samba Member


Joined: May 22, 2013
Posts: 65
Location: Raleigh, nc
ehoff is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that idea, but I do think the suspension can use a rebuild in general. 23 year old springs are just getting a little saggy in general. I'll check it out.

Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned


Joined: March 07, 2002
Posts: 15087
Location: New York
insyncro is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of threads dedicated to your question already.

Yes, I have experience with both springs you list...documented in many threads.

Springs and shocks should be replace together and each vendor has a preferred shock for their spring, due to spring rates.

You will need to shim to level a van even with new parts.

Your best chance of purchasing the springs/shocks YOU will prefer is to drive in other vans with different combinations and make an informed choice.

Buying by opinions on internet forums may present you with a Vegas outcome...money spent to crap out...my opinion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member


Joined: October 07, 2010
Posts: 2667
Location: Dartmouth, Mass.
vanagonjr is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:

Your best chance of purchasing the springs/shocks YOU will prefer is to drive in other vans with different combinations and make an informed choice.

Agreed, but for most of the country, finding someone with a Vanagon nearby with a non-stock suspension is slim at best, never mind the combination one is interested in. For many parts of the country, just finding anyone with a Vanagon nearby is hard to do!
_________________
John - 86 Wolfsburg Westfalia "Weekender"
Flint reversed 1.8T W/Passat 5-Speed
LiMBO (late model bus club) www.limbobus.org
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned


Joined: March 07, 2002
Posts: 15087
Location: New York
insyncro is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have most combos sitting in my shop or mounted to a personal van I own.

My time is worth money, but would like to help those looking for answers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreetim
Samba Member


Joined: January 10, 2011
Posts: 1994
Location: Riverside, California
shadetreetim is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

insyncro wrote:

Your best chance of purchasing the springs/shocks YOU will prefer is to drive in other vans with different combinations and make an informed choice.

Buying by opinions on internet forums may present you with a Vegas outcome...money spent to crap out...my opinion.


Well said.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

_________________
Tim Potts

Doing my best every time I drive it to dispel the myth these Vanagons have to be slow!


'89 Vanagon Bluestar/Country Homes 1.8T & .77 4th
'10 Wrangler 3.8 6SP Manual
'12 Ford E350
'12 Tiguan 2.0T 6SP Tiptronic - Lady Shadetree's
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ehoff
Samba Member


Joined: May 22, 2013
Posts: 65
Location: Raleigh, nc
ehoff is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll ask around and try to get some drive time on some local vans. There arent a ton in my area but I'll see what i can muster up. I'm just looking for some humble opinions. I won't run out and buy what you suggest, but I will look further into setups that current users prefer.

Thanks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jetpoweredmonkey
Samba Member


Joined: September 20, 2004
Posts: 188
Location: Sacramento, CA
jetpoweredmonkey is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had both the Van Cafe springs and the GW 1.5" lifting springs on my 1991 full Westy.

I bought the VC springs lightly used. I got about 1/2" lift out of them. The van did not sit level on the original springs, which I assume were pretty well sacked out at 130K. The rear sat 1/2" lower than the front. The VC springs leveled it out...for a while. Slowly the rear lost that 1/2" again. This is on a street driven van. However, these springs were a noticeable improvement over stock in terms of handling.

Now I have the GW 1.5" springs installed. I definitely got a true 1.5" lift over stock (or what I assumed was the stock ride height taking into consideration my 20 year old sacked out springs). After 6 months or so, they have not packed down at all, not even a little. I installed the left rear with two stock spring plates to help balance the extra load on that side and the van sits almost perfectly level all the way around. Nose dive is vastly reduced, ride is great and handling is 100% improved over the VC springs.

In my mind it is no comparison if you are talking about a full camper. The VC springs would probably be fine on a tin top and might possibly be preferable - not sure if the non-lifting GW springs are a bit too heavy for a much lighter van.

I will say that my Bilstein HDs are not a good match for the GW springs, they are far too soft. I would like to sell them and try a set of the "sport" valved shocks that GW now has.
_________________
1991 Westfalia 2WD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member


Joined: August 18, 2008
Posts: 3795
Location: Alameda, CA
madspaniard is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetpoweredmonkey wrote:
I've had both the Van Cafe springs and the GW 1.5" lifting springs on my 1991 full Westy.

I bought the VC springs lightly used. I got about 1/2" lift out of them. The van did not sit level on the original springs, which I assume were pretty well sacked out at 130K. The rear sat 1/2" lower than the front. The VC springs leveled it out...for a while. Slowly the rear lost that 1/2" again. This is on a street driven van. However, I will say that these springs were a noticeable improvement over stock in terms of handling.

Now I have the GW 1.5" springs installed. I definitely got a true 1.5" lift over stock. After 6 months or so, they have not packed down at all. I installed the left rear with two stock spring plates to help balance the extra load on that side and the van sits almost perfectly level all the way around. Nose dive is greatly reduced, ride is great and handling is 100% improved over the VC springs.

In my mind it is no comparison if you are talking about a full camper. The VC springs would probably be fine on a tin top and might possibly be preferable - not sure if the non-lifting GW springs are a bit too heavy for a much lighter van.

I will say that my Bilstein HDs are not a good match for the GW springs, they are far too soft. I would like to sell them and try a set of the "sport" valved shocks that GW now has.


When did you purchase your VanCafe springs? They had different versions thru the las 3-4 years, with the last generation greatly improved. There was one batch some years ago that showed some fabrication flaws, the springs would be too soft giving you noticeable front bounce and nose dive and soft cornering.

If you bought yours lightly used there is a chance the previous owner sold them because of these issues? This is what happened to me. I now have the last generation, they work great.
_________________
1991 Westy auto w/ Peloquin TBD

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned


Joined: March 07, 2002
Posts: 15087
Location: New York
insyncro is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madspaniard wrote:
jetpoweredmonkey wrote:
I've had both the Van Cafe springs and the GW 1.5" lifting springs on my 1991 full Westy.

I bought the VC springs lightly used. I got about 1/2" lift out of them. The van did not sit level on the original springs, which I assume were pretty well sacked out at 130K. The rear sat 1/2" lower than the front. The VC springs leveled it out...for a while. Slowly the rear lost that 1/2" again. This is on a street driven van. However, I will say that these springs were a noticeable improvement over stock in terms of handling.

Now I have the GW 1.5" springs installed. I definitely got a true 1.5" lift over stock. After 6 months or so, they have not packed down at all. I installed the left rear with two stock spring plates to help balance the extra load on that side and the van sits almost perfectly level all the way around. Nose dive is greatly reduced, ride is great and handling is 100% improved over the VC springs.

In my mind it is no comparison if you are talking about a full camper. The VC springs would probably be fine on a tin top and might possibly be preferable - not sure if the non-lifting GW springs are a bit too heavy for a much lighter van.

I will say that my Bilstein HDs are not a good match for the GW springs, they are far too soft. I would like to sell them and try a set of the "sport" valved shocks that GW now has.


When did you purchase your VanCafe springs? They had different versions thru the las 3-4 years, with the last generation greatly improved. There was one batch some years ago that showed some fabrication flaws, the springs would be too soft giving you noticeable front bounce and soft cornering.


Correct.
The latest version are by far the best ride feel, allow easy alignment and do not sag as previous versions have.
Shimming to level maybe needed depending upon a tin top or Westy.
The 2wd spring rates are paired with Konis and the Syncro spring rates are paired with Old Man Emus.
I consider both equivalent in description of "lift" to Go Westy zero lift springs, but are not progressively wound as the GWs are.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member


Joined: August 18, 2008
Posts: 3795
Location: Alameda, CA
madspaniard is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I would say the last VanCafe springs might actually be a bit too stiff for a tintop van, perfect for Westys.
_________________
1991 Westy auto w/ Peloquin TBD

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jetpoweredmonkey
Samba Member


Joined: September 20, 2004
Posts: 188
Location: Sacramento, CA
jetpoweredmonkey is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good to know - and yes, since they were used I have no idea how old my VC's were, at least a couple of years, though.

Also, just to be clear, I heart Van Cafe - and it sounds like they have ironed out the problem I had with their springs, naturally!
_________________
1991 Westfalia 2WD
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
insyncro
Banned


Joined: March 07, 2002
Posts: 15087
Location: New York
insyncro is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetpoweredmonkey wrote:
All good to know - and yes, since they were used I have no idea how old my VC's were, at least a couple of years, though.

Also, just to be clear, I heart Van Cafe - and it sounds like they have ironed out the problem I had with their springs, naturally!


Van Cafe is a vendor, Steve Schwenk is the spring designer and he has them manufactured.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singler3360
Samba Member


Joined: February 25, 2009
Posts: 1191
Location: Corvallis, Oregon
singler3360 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the Konis for about a year with stock, saggy springs (about 14" on all four corners). Last month I bought the VC 2WD springs and they are being installed this month. I'm encouraged to hear these springs and shocks are supposed to work well together. I won't get to drive my Westy for another three weeks, but I will report back what I think.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madspaniard
Samba Member


Joined: August 18, 2008
Posts: 3795
Location: Alameda, CA
madspaniard is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=273255
_________________
1991 Westy auto w/ Peloquin TBD

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2020, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB