Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Daily driver in need of some repairs.
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bonecollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:58 pm    Post subject: Daily driver in need of some repairs. Reply with quote

Am I the only guy out there who procrastinates minor repairs on his vehicles. It seems like the only time I fix stuff is if it is for sale or sold. Today my bad habit came back to bite me in the azz. A couple months back the drivers door handle on my 61 single broke. The door still functions from the outside but the linkage inside is disconnected. I have been living with it since and open the door by sticking my arm out the window and opening it from the outside. A couple weeks after that broke I went fishing with a buddy in the single and he broke the inside passenger door handle off trying to close the door. I picked up a new handle but havent installed it yet. Fast forward to present. Yesterday it rained all day and turned to snow last night. After the snow fell everything iced up. I jumped in my truck this morning to head to work and realized I had forgot my keys. As I went to slide the window open so I could reach out to open the bus door I found that the window was frozen in place. I looked to the passenger door only to find the same problem. I was basically locked inside my single. I did eventually get out but it wasnt easy. Luckily though I made it out without breaking anything and I will be fixing both doors ASAP. Why do I put off such small repairs?

WWW.VOLKSWEAR.COM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's hilarious! Laughing
bonecollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasnt so hilarious this morning sitting outside in extreme cold weather wondering how I was going to get out of the frozen bus. Luckily I had some misc. tools sitting under the dash and I was able to figure a way out. I also found some tools Ive been looking for lately.

WWW.VOLKSWEAR.COM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Andrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonecollector wrote:
It wasnt so hilarious this morning sitting outside in extreme cold weather wondering how I was going to get out of the frozen bus. Luckily I had some misc. tools sitting under the dash and I was able to figure a way out. I also found some tools Ive been looking for lately.

If that had been me, I would have been laughing my ass off.
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bone, WHERE IN FREEZING HELL ARE YOU? Shocked
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROTFLMAO! That's like a "man bites dog" story.
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
NorCalWeekender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To actually answer your question, I'm not sure why we let some repairs wait and wait and wait. I know I've done that, but thankfully without any major problems. It's just one of those things. Either I don't have time or funds or space. There's always an excuse.

-Taylor

"Eventually, we sold to a guy for $500 who towed it away to live in it in his parents' driveway. We didn't think it would ever avoid the junk heap on that day." -The 3rd Owner, 1995
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That kind of stuff is ok to screw around on but make sure that NEVER carries over to your motor, trans and/or brakes.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Split Decision
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that story just inspired me to fix the lock on my driver's door.

Mike

On year seven of the "I'll get it done next week" engine rebuild.

74superTN wrote:
Just seems these days that unless you are dragging your engine on the ground and have crazy negative camber, people seem like you're doing it all wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bonecollector
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help! By the way I'm in Idaho. Things are getting a little chilly around here these days. We havent had any massive snowfall yet but it's still pretty chilly. Check out this

photohttps://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/42362.jpg

That snow fall was from one night. I'm ready this year though. I just outfitted this 67 with a snowblower.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/82936.jpg

I think this is a factory option but I could be wrong. Must be rare I've never seen another one like it. Anyone have anymore info on it?

WWW.VOLKSWEAR.COM
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: