Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OC's Project "Some Day"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can always fiberglass over it.
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
fishybastard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. I will have to get over there and check out how yours is set up
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final pic of my front bracing. I added some gussets but they're more ornamental since they aren't actually 'between' the tubes where I like them.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gonna try to do a couple more things before I have to start pulling the front beam out of my baja Mary this weekend to replace adjusters. Hoping to get that work done quickly and back to this. Still waiting on parts though.
fishybastard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those gussets!!! Damn they look good!
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's gonna weigh a ton by the time I'm done over building it but I'll be able to drive through trees instead of around them!
fishybastard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHAHA, You will have to be up front clearing a path for the rest of us! At least it wont brake
riNR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good.

I would suggest double sheer on those shock bolts especially if the frame tube is only .090 wall. I had problems with the tube cracking around my shock mounts with the thinner tube.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riNR wrote:
Looking good.

I would suggest double sheer on those shock bolts especially if the frame tube is only .090 wall. I had problems with the tube cracking around my shock mounts with the thinner tube.

riNR, getting buggy fever again after being without a rail for a while now? I have notice you have been around the forums from time to time lately. Wink

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
riNR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, got the fever, but then I talk myself out of another project based on the financial and time commitments. There's been some "purchase worthy" listings on local classifieds lately that have tested my discipline. I just like to check in and observe what project builds and fabrication skills are developing.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, you know you want it. Just give in to the temptation already and be done with it. lol Laughing

Just kidding, I totally understand.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
riNR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeellllll, I did pick up a Protools bender and die set for dirt cheap on Kijiji for $600. I couldn't turn that down, and sure wish I had it when I still had the rail. I did build a roof rack for windsurfing gear / etc. for the van, just for fun. Oh ya, and I did pick up the Protools tube notcher too. I'd like to build a Manx style off road car if anything. I just don't want to start from scratch. I'd rather take over / improve on someone else's effort / $$$.
vdub411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a couple questions about your rear bag setup. Did you use the #3800 bags from airbagit.com? Trying to find the specs on travel for that bag without luck. Also do these bags have internal bumpstops? I'm just about to start mocking up a buggy and would like to give the bags a shot. Please let me know if you have any info. Your build looks awesome. Maybe I'll bump into on the trails sometime.
SandRails Coming Soon!!!
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air lift

Double Convolute
Air Spring
Diameter 8.50"
Closed 2.8"
Extended 12.50"
5,000lbs per bag
400psi rated
$109

http://www.airbagit.com/Air-Springs-Air-Bags-p/baga-3800.htm

ten inches of travel at the bag which ought to be plenty for anyone just about. As far as the bumpstop, I believe there is a small one inside but common practice is not to rely on it and add a primary stop elsewhere like I did. When I bought mine there was a buy two get two free deal. Well it was a good thing because one of the bags has a slow leak where the end plate is crimped. I was planning on recouping some cost by selling the spare two but that's out the window now.
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: progress update Reply with quote

So OrangeCrush has been sidelined for awhile now while I use the space to get some other projects done. I had to rebuild the top end on my 92 K1500, the baja needed some work, and I need to start fabbing a hitch and trailer from scratch for the Harley so the wife and I can cruise over to Sturgis in August. Another thing I was doin was fitting a harbor freight clone motor onto an ancient MTD rototiller I've had sitting useless alongside the garage for years. Well long story short, I used a drivebelt that was a smidge too short so that even when the trigger wasn't engaged there was still some power going to the chain drive and I heard it chew up the chain in it's case before I could even get started tilling. Frustrated I rolled it back into the barn to see OC sitting there lonely and sulking. I realised it was the perfect time to take it down the road and see if I could get it out of 1st gear. All the snow is gone and I should be able to sneak it down to the first dirt road and then flog it a bit.
Well I still have a bunch of loose ends to tie up. There is absolutely no lights, guages, barely any brakes, and definitely no insurance, but I still needed to 'take 'er round the block' inorder to see if anything was going to be a problem and to erase the recent memory of grenading the tiller.
So she started right up which is surprising after it sitting for about a month with a cheap POS battery. Motor spin is very laborous with this 2.4L so you have to kind of hit the starter until the motor gets to a spot where it can roll a decompression stroke. Kinda like starting a big 4-stroke dirt bike without a compression release. In the driveway I turned a castor adjuster real quick because one of the wheels practically flopping over when I was trying to back up and turn full-lock which drug the tire sideways basically. Well I snuck down to the dirt road, the road going past my house is extremely bust and fast, and began to open up the throttle.
Down low it is kinda a pig, needing a lot of throttle to get underway, which is something I'm still kinda not sure of because I've nevr driven this engine behind a manual tranny. Quad4's tend to be torquey so this is really not what I was expecting when I chose this motor. But once it reaches half throttle it starts to take off like a rocket which also happens to be where the pedal decides it wants to bind and not return when I pull off. Butt pucker moment until I realized a few bumps in the road would shake it loose and come back. Still, I think I will need to put some kind of kill handle or cord incase something happens and the throttle gets locked.
First gear seems like it's good for maybe 40mph(no speedometer remember) and it seemed when I snuck it into second that I needed to go a little further before shifting. Anyway, I wasn't in 2nd long before I was running out of road/bouncing off the washboard a bit hard. Which brings me to my next issue. At first it sounded as though something in the trailing arm area was loose but after some rubber necking I realised I just had some pretty serious wheel hop. I'm not sure if this is a reflection of a design problem more than just work out under inflated tires combined with airbags that needed more air. No idea what they were aired to exactly.
So when I get turned around and the rig had been underway for a good five minutes at least, I decide it's time to put it in neutral and get out and see what's hanging off/burning/leaking that might kill me in the next 5 minutes. At this point it's prolly the longest I've had it running. Well just as I get around the passenger side I hear a loud bursting sound and stuff in the air around the engine so I dive for the key to shut her down. I figured it was a gas line burst or wire shorted and starting on fire. I look down and see a puddle under the tank but it's green. There's a water neck that comes out of the front of the block which spills out right into the 'backseat' area of the cage and I had to get pretty radical with the coolant hose to make it turn the corner there and head back to the radiator. Well what must have happened was just as I rounded the passenger side of the rig the thermostat must have opened up sending a rush of coolant through the block which blew that hose right off because someone forgot to tighten the dang hose clamp!!!doh!
Luckily, my spidee senses had told me to bring a gallon of coolant with me so I waited for it to cool a bit to slip the hose back on and fill the radiator. I carefully started it back up and snuck back home before it could blow off again.
The scarey thing is if I hadn't decided to get out when I did I prolly would have had hot coolant sprayed all over my right side in the seat and maybe lost control and flew into the ditch. So I guess it was a good thing too because now I will fab up a deflector for that hose incase it happens again.
As for the gearing, I'll have to see if there's anyone in the area who's competent enough to alter the gearing in this 091 so I can get through the tight woods with this beast.
Cool

HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like ye had a goot time. Cool
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orange is back. Spent the last day breaking her down for sand blast and paint. Right now I have to re fab the front beam mounts. When I originally put the frame together I didn't know enough about the steering geometry and ended up with it raked back somewhere around 10degrees. This resulted in what equated to constant bump steer lol. For az long time I didn't understand what was wrong. Now I realise that when you turn the wheels not only do they rotate on the horizontal plane but vertically making the suspension bind terribly.
So hopefully this is the final stretch.

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY Hi Jumper was built by the factory with 6° tilt back on the beam. Works great that way. VW pans have some tilt back in the frame head too.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm going to shoot for close to zero on my instruments and shim from there. It's gonna be hard enough trying to get a good joint to weld up on the clamp pieces. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of patience for that sort of thing especially when I'm really wanting to get it in paint and rebuild. But this is important which is why I cut the clamps off and quit for the day. Come back fresh later.
HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's exciting. Cool
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crappy part is I'm gonna lose some clearance in the front. Gonna work on it tonight - play hooky tomorrow maybe. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 21

Jump to: