Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ultimate Winch Thread
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkonzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Ultimate Winch Thread Reply with quote

Has anyone had much experience with mounting a winch on a stinger and then having the ability to use it on the front or back of the vehicle?

Also interested in winches that have been integrated into the spare tire recess and through the front bumper of the van like Das Mule and others. I have seen a few but i'd like to see more!
hans j
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning a Warn 9000 in the spare tire area. Only doing it because I'm getting a used one for free. It will eventually have a synthetic line on it too.

I've seen some pulley systems on larger expedition trucks, search in Expedition Portal for that stuff. Not sure if there is enough room on a syncro to do so.

I'll also be getting a 3ton Power Puller. That way I can pull from the back or side in case of a roll over. Also on the list is a Pull Pal. Don't forget the line damper in case of a break in the line, high enough rated shackles/pulleys, tree straps and creative rigging!

Best course of action is not to get stuck though. Honestly I hope to only use the winch to pull stuff out around the yard...
vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was going to be my question..while they look cool..how many people who have them have had a need for one or go places where they ever will.

Even the good ole boys around here with them on their trucks seem to rarely use them
ewalt98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a winch on a hitch cradle which I use on the back of my one ton around the property or for pulling logs up hillsides. I do not have a hitch mount on the front of the truck, though I may get one with the RSK I plan on doing.
I can also use it on my tractor.

The hitch mount winch works just fine for me. It was cheaper than getting a new bumper. However, it is not as convenient as having them built in and always available. Then again, I don't carry it around when I don't need it, so that is less weight to cut into my fuel economy.
72 GT6
88 F350
03 F150
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: winch Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Have a 8,500 LB Superwinch on a Gary Lee mount in front. And on the back have a 10,000 LB winch in a 2 inch hitch mount. They use the same elec. plug just have a long cable to plug into the front plug from the rear. Can put the 10,000 one in if we go mudding or to play in the snow. But yes it takes one hell of a rear bumper. And yes I have used them, and the first time in Modb I fell they paid for them self. OK they look cool to! Very Happy
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans j wrote:
Also on the list is a Pull Pal.
A Pull Pal is what I needed. I have a PowerPull and Hi-Lift winch kit that I usually bring on the trails but I've never been stuck less than 100 yds from a tree. I've been with guys with winches and so far they only thing that's saved the van the 3 times I've been stuck are shovels and a tow strap.
I'd like a winch but they're not very compatible with the new GW bumpers I just ordered... I might do some reinforcements for a front or rear hitch mount winch.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These guys were happy they had a winch.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/rack/winch/winch.htm

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4919669

https://www.google.com/search?q=vanagon+winch&...mp;bih=776
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that guy wearing a skirt?
Wink
dkonzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Wink

I think he is...
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The winch cradle with fore & aft recievers is the way I'm going. Leave the thing at home until I'm on a trip where I might encounter conditions that require it.

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xriss55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

original winch here one of 70 ever made.... from an aesthetic/originality point of view this has to be a strong contender for the ultimate Very Happy

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have a question for those of you who have mounted your winches up under the spare tire area. How do you wind up your cable/rope accurately? I mean, isn't it really tough to see the coil when winding it back in?

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
Wink

You ain't from 'round here, is ya? That's a Utilikilt. All the rage in Seattle and points beyond

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
xriss55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and again
xriss55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more time Smile

syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
You ain't from 'round here, is ya? That's a Utilikilt. All the rage in Seattle and points beyond

I know exactly what it is, I know the skirt wearer as well. The emoticon should have been the tip off.

The portable winch mounts need a solid 2" receiver on the front and back so you need to add bumper costs into the equation.
Warn sells portable winch kits and other manufacturers sell portable mounts for other brands.
Look at how much the winch weighs and add it to the portable mount weight and see if you really want to lug that weight around if not permanently mounted. I have hoisted my Warn M8000 around a few times and I wouldn't want to do it more than necessary.
Syncrozilla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would defiantly not recommend mounting a winch in the spare tire area. That's gonna be a real pain the ass when your down there lying on your back trying to unravel the crossed up rope. Take a look around at other 4wd and off road rigs. How many have winches mounted up under the car?

From my experience the most common use of a winch is to help someone else out of a tight situation. I'm not saying this is a reason not to get one. Ask anyone who has one on there rig how often and for what they have used them. Almost every response will be about righting a tipped over car of pulling someone else out of somewhere. It's also my observation that 99% of the time you will want the winch on the front. Being able to mount it on the rear is not that important.

My .02
kbeefy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A winch is an awesome tool. So many more uses than just recovery. I've even used one for bodywork. The portable is a decent idea, replace the cable with synthetic rope and it's not too terribly heavy.

I've had several winches on Jeeps and Land Rovers and used them often.

For the syncro I carry a shovel, 30' 30,000# strap and a hilift. Hopefully I'll never need more.

After reading the title I had a different idea of where this thread was heading, my friend is the USA dealer for these things....

'86 Syncro Westy. Stock for now.

2000 F350 7.3 CC LB 11' Northland Cabover

2006 Subbie OBXT

2002 Tacoma DoubleCab 4x4

1969 Mustang Basket Case 351c/FMX/9

http://kbeefy.blogspot.com/
Syncroincity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

Vanagon Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=466866&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winch wouldn't have done this guy any good.

Link

while I do own a Ramsey 8k winch, I'm a BIG fam of a TIRFOR or Griphoist style hand winch. they can be used when the winch on your vehicle isn't practicle or even working. or from the other end secure by the tree/anchor while the vehicle being winched is at an unsafe location.

here's a good thread on the griphoist winch.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=343910
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: