Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Wishlist (Things you wish were available)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
greebly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AceTaylor wrote:
A lock up torque converter to 2wd Automatic

X2
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thirstytank
Samba Gaucho

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A front westy table in brown.

1985 Vanagon Westfalia
https://www.facebook.com/VanagonMorrison
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beteljuze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wished for two simple things. One is I wish the Vanagon wheel bolt pattern was a common American pattern, such as Chevy or Ford. Than there would be a gazillion wheel options that would be easy and cheap to buy, whereas the Mercedes/Audi wheels are just as expensive at the pic and pull as new wheels, if you can find any.
The second thing I wish for is an engine conversion that doesn't cost more than than the van itself. If a used engine cost around $500, why does the parts to install it cost 10x that much.
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wishing for some fixed vent window frames..... Sad
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I came back to this thread today just to review all the ideas. The good news is we have two problems solved off the list!

The first being the dash foil problem, with the new kit from GW that's no longer an issue. Out of the price range for some, but still... great to have it on the market. Good job GW!

Another item that seems to be solved is the windshield washer squirter issue. There's now an upgrade available from both GW and T3. Again, great job bringing options to the market guys.

I was surprised none of the vendors jumped on the universal air filter for conversions idea or the under body storage compartment idea. Perhaps these are in the works.

Did I miss other new items brought to market this year?

Anything new to add to the list?

-Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A conversion kit to swap in a Quattro or 2wd VAG automatic transaxle with four or more forward gears

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not VW specific ,I wish all aerosol paint cans used the same nozzle.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: wish list Reply with quote

That AAA had 500 mile towing!; Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

16CV's wrote:
While not VW specific ,I wish all aerosol paint cans used the same nozzle.

Stacy

And that all cans of spray lubricant and such had a built in tube/straw as per WD40 products.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish for a pop out rear window for sleeping & dog ventilation when parked. but I've got a plan and "I'm working on that"

also since you brought it up Wildthings.. here's a fun background story on that.

http://www.cpinternet.com/~mhurwicz/stories/wd40_king.html

Quote:

The Man Who Would Be the WD-40 Tube King
by Maxim Hurwicz

In 1982 I was single, 29 years old and pretty much of a bum. By the end of the next year I had my very own nuclear family with three kids and a mate. Somewhere between Goodwill, K-Mart and the grocery store I realized I needed to get a career, fast. I went back to college, but being an art student didn’t bring in much money. After a few years of poverty I decided I should learn about business and become a real businessman.

I had taken a marketing class so I already had all the theory you could ever want. It was time to apply that theory in a real life experiment. I decided to come up with a product and enter the marketplace. I had almost no money, so I needed a product that was available with cheap off-the-shelf parts, was immediately recognizable so I wouldn’t have to advertise, was something lots of people needed, was cheap to ship and just plain easy to sell.

I thought about how everybody loses the little red tubes that come with spray cans...the ones that come with WD-40 or Liquid Wrench spray lubricant or with brake or carburetor cleaner. The tube fits into the spray button on the top of the can. One size tube fits them all. Maybe you know the story, you buy a can and it has a skinny little red straw taped to it. Once you remove the tube there isn’t any way to reattach it to the can so it gets lost. Almost everyone I knew had a memory of seeing WD40 on sale and buying another can, just to get the tube.

I called up WD-40, asked them to sell me tubes and they refused. The fellow I talked with went on a long rambling discourse about how customers had sued them for ridiculous accidents. For instance, some fool had been so stupid as to put a can of WD-40 on a hot car engine, the can blew up, the solvent caught fire, burned them and they sued WD-40. Those idiots should have read the label and seen that WD-40 is flammable. If they had purchased Liquid Wrench instead, they would have had a product that did the same thing, but wouldn‘t blow up, as it isn‘t flammable. It isn’t WD-40’s fault that they have a more dangerous product. Only an idiot would buy a more dangerous product, so they deserve what happens to them. For some reason it didn’t bother me that by selling tubes I might be cutting into WD40’s bottom line.

Anyway, I searched around some more and found the company in New Jersey that made Liquid Wrench spray tubes. I ordered around 25,000 ten inch long tubes for about a hundred bucks. The extra long tubes could be bent to get into hard-to-reach spots without tipping the can over. It sounds like a lot but it fit into a space the size of three toasters.

I made up counter displays and then set about figuring out how to package them, but every method cost way too much. More than the tubes cost. I finally found these little hand operated machines that were for wrapping tape around the neck of plastic bags and I could use them for taping together six straws. I hired my daughter and her friends to bundle them up while they watched TV. I imagined a cottage industry with hundreds of American kids watching TV and bundling up my tubes. Schools could do fund raisers. It would be fun.

I started to call around to auto parts stores but to my surprise, nobody would carry them. One store said they charged manufacturers for space on their counters and they didn’t want my product anyway. “Nobody comes in asking for tubes.” they’d say. Well, of course nobody asks for a product that doesn‘t exist yet! Another store said they weren’t pioneers, that they don’t carry any new products. That was a weird idea, I thought. Finally, I called up my local Ace hardware store and asked for the manager. “I buy a couple thousand dollars worth of stuff from your store,” I said, “and I have a new product I need to test market. If I gave you some, would you put them out on your counter?” “Sure”, he said in a friendly way, “our store is used all the time for test marketing.” I brought them down, he entered them into his computer and they were placed right next to the register for fifty cents a bundle. Someday, when I was actually selling them, I’d get a quarter a bundle wholesale.

The manager said his store was a model store that other managers came to visit to see how he did it. He was near a big building materials store, and his stuff cost more, but he was still getting customers to come and buy. I dunno how he did it.

So I waited and waited to see if they’d sell. Two weeks later he called to say he’d sold them all and wanted some more. So I brought him more and he showed me his program for tracking products. He said my product was a double A item. It turned out there were two things he tracked, the markup and the number of items sold. Well, my tubes had 100 percent markup and he was selling a bunch of them, like candy bars (the other thing we all go to hardware stores for). He said that 10 percent of the items in the store accounted for 90 percent of his sales. He had to have the other 90 percent of slow selling stuff there or customers wouldn’t come in. I imagined stuff sitting on his shelves for years, doing nothing.

A few days later a friend of my daughter’s said her mom had purchased a bundle, not knowing I was the source of the tubes. All of a sudden I felt like I was somebody in the community. I was the WD40 tube King.

I called around and got another store to carry them, but I was bored already. I didn’t care enough to bill the second store. Still, I ordered another 25,000 tubes. I was wondering how to keep track of all these future orders and shipping and making displays and stuff. It didn’t seem like much fun to make a few bucks here and there. I mean, it looked like I’d only make about five dollars a month per store. Big deal.

But then Jeff, the manager of my local store, said he was going to the annual Ace convention and would talk to the Midwest buyer about carrying them. Then Ace would do all the distributing. I could just ship them to the central warehouse. He said there were five thousand Ace and True Value hardware stores. Hmmm, five dollars times five thousand stores comes to 25 thousand dollars a month. I could live on that, I thought. I could even send my brother some money, which isn’t usually in my nature. It would be like winning the lottery. This business stuff isn’t all that hard, I thought.

So he goes off and comes back and says the Midwest buyer will call me. I wait around and a few weeks later I get a phone call. The monotone-voiced guy says “I’m the Midwest buyer for Ace and I’m only calling you because Jeff asked me to. I don’t want your product and even if I did want your product I wouldn’t buy it from you. I’d ask WD-40 to bundle them up and I’d buy them from them.” No matter what I said nothing would budge him.

I was pretty depressed. All my great plans dashed. Not only he wouldn’t buy them from me, but he might away steal the whole product idea. Poop.

A while later I ran into Jeff at my local Ace hardware and he said the Midwest buyer had asked WD-40 to bundle up tubes, but they refused. At Walmart sometime later I saw two packs of WD-40 spray cans with five extra tubes in them. Poop. WD40 was trying to make sure I didn’t have a chance.

And then something marvelous happened. Suddenly WD-40 came out with a redesigned spray top that required a tube that was a thousandth of an inch smaller diameter. My tubes wouldn’t fit in their sprayer anymore! And I realized that little old me, with a few hundred dollars invested in my little business, had caused WD-40 to retool their line. That could have easily cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars. It meant little old me, with maybe thirty dollars in retail sales and zero in profit had caused a big old company to freak out and change. I felt powerful and expansive. It meant I had made some sort of entry into the marketplace and I had actually created an effect. And perhaps, in some small way, even if those folks who had gotten hurt by WD-40 hadn’t gotten any money for their injuries, I had helped by making WD-40 screw themselves out of a bunch of money anyway.

Now, twenty years later, I have a tub full of ten inch long tubes and I haven’t figured out what to do with them. I tried chewing on them like Huckleberry Finn, but they make my throat sore. I thought about giving them away, but that would just cut into Liquid Wrench’s sales, and I would rather have them win against WD-40, so that’s out. I thought about making a gizmo to resize the tubes at one end to fit the new cans, but that’s way too much work. One of these days somebody will come up with something they are good for just as they are. For a brief, shining moment I was the WD40 tube king, and now my tubes lay hidden like a crown in my basement.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
I wish for a pop out rear window for sleeping & dog ventilation when parked. but I've got a plan and "I'm working on that"

also since you brought it up Wildthings.. here's a fun background story on that.

http://www.cpinternet.com/~mhurwicz/stories/wd40_king.html

Quote:

The Man Who Would Be the WD-40 Tube King
by Maxim Hurwicz

In 1982 I was single, 29 years old and pretty much of a bum. By the end of the next year I had my very own nuclear family with three kids and a mate. Somewhere between Goodwill, K-Mart and the grocery store I realized I needed to get a career, fast. I went back to college, but being an art student didn’t bring in much money. After a few years of poverty I decided I should learn about business and become a real businessman.

I had taken a marketing class so I already had all the theory you could ever want. It was time to apply that theory in a real life experiment. I decided to come up with a product and enter the marketplace. I had almost no money, so I needed a product that was available with cheap off-the-shelf parts, was immediately recognizable so I wouldn’t have to advertise, was something lots of people needed, was cheap to ship and just plain easy to sell.

I thought about how everybody loses the little red tubes that come with spray cans...the ones that come with WD-40 or Liquid Wrench spray lubricant or with brake or carburetor cleaner. The tube fits into the spray button on the top of the can. One size tube fits them all. Maybe you know the story, you buy a can and it has a skinny little red straw taped to it. Once you remove the tube there isn’t any way to reattach it to the can so it gets lost. Almost everyone I knew had a memory of seeing WD40 on sale and buying another can, just to get the tube.

I called up WD-40, asked them to sell me tubes and they refused. The fellow I talked with went on a long rambling discourse about how customers had sued them for ridiculous accidents. For instance, some fool had been so stupid as to put a can of WD-40 on a hot car engine, the can blew up, the solvent caught fire, burned them and they sued WD-40. Those idiots should have read the label and seen that WD-40 is flammable. If they had purchased Liquid Wrench instead, they would have had a product that did the same thing, but wouldn‘t blow up, as it isn‘t flammable. It isn’t WD-40’s fault that they have a more dangerous product. Only an idiot would buy a more dangerous product, so they deserve what happens to them. For some reason it didn’t bother me that by selling tubes I might be cutting into WD40’s bottom line.

Anyway, I searched around some more and found the company in New Jersey that made Liquid Wrench spray tubes. I ordered around 25,000 ten inch long tubes for about a hundred bucks. The extra long tubes could be bent to get into hard-to-reach spots without tipping the can over. It sounds like a lot but it fit into a space the size of three toasters.

I made up counter displays and then set about figuring out how to package them, but every method cost way too much. More than the tubes cost. I finally found these little hand operated machines that were for wrapping tape around the neck of plastic bags and I could use them for taping together six straws. I hired my daughter and her friends to bundle them up while they watched TV. I imagined a cottage industry with hundreds of American kids watching TV and bundling up my tubes. Schools could do fund raisers. It would be fun.

I started to call around to auto parts stores but to my surprise, nobody would carry them. One store said they charged manufacturers for space on their counters and they didn’t want my product anyway. “Nobody comes in asking for tubes.” they’d say. Well, of course nobody asks for a product that doesn‘t exist yet! Another store said they weren’t pioneers, that they don’t carry any new products. That was a weird idea, I thought. Finally, I called up my local Ace hardware store and asked for the manager. “I buy a couple thousand dollars worth of stuff from your store,” I said, “and I have a new product I need to test market. If I gave you some, would you put them out on your counter?” “Sure”, he said in a friendly way, “our store is used all the time for test marketing.” I brought them down, he entered them into his computer and they were placed right next to the register for fifty cents a bundle. Someday, when I was actually selling them, I’d get a quarter a bundle wholesale.

The manager said his store was a model store that other managers came to visit to see how he did it. He was near a big building materials store, and his stuff cost more, but he was still getting customers to come and buy. I dunno how he did it.

So I waited and waited to see if they’d sell. Two weeks later he called to say he’d sold them all and wanted some more. So I brought him more and he showed me his program for tracking products. He said my product was a double A item. It turned out there were two things he tracked, the markup and the number of items sold. Well, my tubes had 100 percent markup and he was selling a bunch of them, like candy bars (the other thing we all go to hardware stores for). He said that 10 percent of the items in the store accounted for 90 percent of his sales. He had to have the other 90 percent of slow selling stuff there or customers wouldn’t come in. I imagined stuff sitting on his shelves for years, doing nothing.

A few days later a friend of my daughter’s said her mom had purchased a bundle, not knowing I was the source of the tubes. All of a sudden I felt like I was somebody in the community. I was the WD40 tube King.

I called around and got another store to carry them, but I was bored already. I didn’t care enough to bill the second store. Still, I ordered another 25,000 tubes. I was wondering how to keep track of all these future orders and shipping and making displays and stuff. It didn’t seem like much fun to make a few bucks here and there. I mean, it looked like I’d only make about five dollars a month per store. Big deal.

But then Jeff, the manager of my local store, said he was going to the annual Ace convention and would talk to the Midwest buyer about carrying them. Then Ace would do all the distributing. I could just ship them to the central warehouse. He said there were five thousand Ace and True Value hardware stores. Hmmm, five dollars times five thousand stores comes to 25 thousand dollars a month. I could live on that, I thought. I could even send my brother some money, which isn’t usually in my nature. It would be like winning the lottery. This business stuff isn’t all that hard, I thought.

So he goes off and comes back and says the Midwest buyer will call me. I wait around and a few weeks later I get a phone call. The monotone-voiced guy says “I’m the Midwest buyer for Ace and I’m only calling you because Jeff asked me to. I don’t want your product and even if I did want your product I wouldn’t buy it from you. I’d ask WD-40 to bundle them up and I’d buy them from them.” No matter what I said nothing would budge him.

I was pretty depressed. All my great plans dashed. Not only he wouldn’t buy them from me, but he might away steal the whole product idea. Poop.

A while later I ran into Jeff at my local Ace hardware and he said the Midwest buyer had asked WD-40 to bundle up tubes, but they refused. At Walmart sometime later I saw two packs of WD-40 spray cans with five extra tubes in them. Poop. WD40 was trying to make sure I didn’t have a chance.

And then something marvelous happened. Suddenly WD-40 came out with a redesigned spray top that required a tube that was a thousandth of an inch smaller diameter. My tubes wouldn’t fit in their sprayer anymore! And I realized that little old me, with a few hundred dollars invested in my little business, had caused WD-40 to retool their line. That could have easily cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars. It meant little old me, with maybe thirty dollars in retail sales and zero in profit had caused a big old company to freak out and change. I felt powerful and expansive. It meant I had made some sort of entry into the marketplace and I had actually created an effect. And perhaps, in some small way, even if those folks who had gotten hurt by WD-40 hadn’t gotten any money for their injuries, I had helped by making WD-40 screw themselves out of a bunch of money anyway.

Now, twenty years later, I have a tub full of ten inch long tubes and I haven’t figured out what to do with them. I tried chewing on them like Huckleberry Finn, but they make my throat sore. I thought about giving them away, but that would just cut into Liquid Wrench’s sales, and I would rather have them win against WD-40, so that’s out. I thought about making a gizmo to resize the tubes at one end to fit the new cans, but that’s way too much work. One of these days somebody will come up with something they are good for just as they are. For a brief, shining moment I was the WD40 tube king, and now my tubes lay hidden like a crown in my basement.

That's a wonderful story!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gauche1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Postal flares that work with SA mudflaps?
Sixray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

replacement glove boxes for late models in black. I am getting reeeeeal sick of having all my crap dumped out on the passenger floor without warning.
Team WorldTour
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sixray wrote:
replacement glove boxes for late models in black. I am getting reeeeeal sick of having all my crap dumped out on the passenger floor without warning.

I tied mine up with 550 cord. It opens as far as I want it to, and no further!
WV2ZZZ25ZFH094138(x)/ WV2YB0257LH057308(x)/ WV2ZZZ25ZLG113270/
"Where am I going? And what am I doing in this handbasket?" -Nicodemus Jordan
When All Else Fails: Lather, Rinse, Repeat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kybishop
Samba Member

Location: Where the wind is blowing, the mountains calling, and the adventure waiting

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: wish list Reply with quote

joseph928 wrote:
That AAA had 500 mile towing!; Very Happy

Yes please! How about some cheaper emergency satellite phones for those no cell-service times when one is stuck with a broken something-or-other? Wink
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: things i would like to have Reply with quote

[quote=
"someway to get better gas mileage!"

I'd like to get better mileage, too. Some fluid aerodynamics specialist should design a few body add-ons (plastic) that would change the air flow to get one, or two, or even 3 mph more! Seems like a downward air sweep at the top back of the roof, to interrupt the relative vacuum behind the main rectangle of the body could make some difference. Maybe also re- shape the front top luggage carrier (Westy) with more slant instead of the fairly vertical shape it has now.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: things i would like to have Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:
[quote=
"someway to get better gas mileage!"

I'd like to get better mileage, too. Some fluid aerodynamics specialist should design a few body add-ons (plastic) that would change the air flow to get one, or two, or even 3 mph more! Seems like a downward air sweep at the top back of the roof, to interrupt the relative vacuum behind the main rectangle of the body could make some difference. Maybe also re- shape the front top luggage carrier (Westy) with more slant instead of the fairly vertical shape it has now.

Someone did, ugly as sin though.... Embarassed

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gauche1968 wrote:
Postal flares that work with SA mudflaps?

How about mudflaps that work with Terrawagen postal flares and fiberglass bumpers? Tristar Eric said they would we offering a solution.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sixray,

Double check the alignment of your latch. Mine did the same thing and my 13yo son noticed it felt like only one side was catching. He was right. 3 minute adjustment in case that's your issue.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
physast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Automatic transmission 103mm socket head bolt that holds the flange to the differential.... The passenger side seems to be out of stock and discontinued everywhere. Sad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: