Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacement westy T molding
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:40 pm    Post subject: Replacement westy T molding Reply with quote

The off white plastic T molding on the edges of my otherwise wonderful SO42 interior was all shrunken and puckered up so I went looking for replacements.

I found T-molding.com sells 3/4" molding in 25 foot coils. http://t-molding.com/cart/customer/product.php?productid=18&cat=22&page=1 I ordered some and it arrived last night. The color is putty gray and is almost a dead-on match for the factory molding. The 3/4 molding is a bit wider than the factory stuff, but I wasn't able to find anything thinner. I'll trim it on the icebox top only.

Anyways it looks great; hope this is helpful to someone.

Has anyone found a source for replacement icebox door seal material?
KevinCompton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats sooo helpful. I need that stuff because mine has shrunk also.
Thanks a grip, woody. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
kintail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the original t moulding has shrunk, you can "rejuvenate" it by using a paint stripper gun and stretching it back to it's original length.

Obvously, finding new "original color" works better!
Dogo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement westy T molding Reply with quote

Does anyone have a source for the K or X -or whatever it's called- molding (the one that goes around the latched doors) in the same putty colour?
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement westy T molding Reply with quote

nlavw.com
Juan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement westy T molding Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
nlavw.com

Thanks for this link!

Could you help me confirm if this is the right T molding for an SO42 table (65-67 interior)

http://nlavw.com/gb/interior/306-rubber-edge-trim-thick-t-profile-in-black-per-metre.html

Or maybe this one?
http://nlavw.com/gb/interior/301-rubber-edge-trim-thin-t-profile-in-black.html

Specifically the small table on the cargo door.

Thanks!
1969 BMW 2002
1959 Ford F100
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement westy T molding Reply with quote

It should be the second one, though they don't give the width and they describe it as "white" when it was really a putty color.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kintail wrote:
If the original t moulding has shrunk, you can "rejuvenate" it by using a paint stripper gun and stretching it back to it's original length.

Obvously, finding new "original color" works better!
Boiling it in water works well too. When you put it back on, glue it and don't over-stretch it. Stretch it just enough so that it's the same length as it was originally.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Juan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement westy T molding Reply with quote

what's the profile for the trim that runs the length of the edge of the big vertical cabinet? (Same one that lines edges of seats etc.) Trying to identify it. Thanks again!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1969 BMW 2002
1959 Ford F100
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement westy T molding Reply with quote

Juan wrote:
what's the profile for the trim that runs the length of the edge of the big vertical cabinet? (Same one that lines edges of seats etc.) Trying to identify it. Thanks again!

It's the same T-profile as the other pieces.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Juan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement westy T molding Reply with quote

Thanks StockNazi. This is when the size difference of the replacement molding becomes really evident. At first I thought that trim was a smaller version of the T-molding that goes on the tables.

I've taken some pics today in case it might help others.

OG molding on top and replacement from Tmolding.com on bottom. They may look the same but replacement is wider.

This photo shows the difference in size quite clearly:

Replacement molding slightly overlaps the edge of the table.

Compare to OG, which is flush:

Overall though it doesn't look bad at all. My cargo door table had no molding at all; this is definitely a big facelift. I'm just not sure I would apply the same to the big table. I'd love to find the right width/color molding. If anyone knows of a place that sells it, please let me know.

1969 BMW 2002
1959 Ford F100
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement westy T molding Reply with quote

It sure looks good. Maybe it will shrink but I doubt it. It actually will keep stuff from sliding off the table if that is a benefit.
Juan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement westy T molding Reply with quote

I went ahead and ordered some of the trim from nlavw. Let's see how it compares.
1969 BMW 2002
1959 Ford F100
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement westy T molding Reply with quote

Juan wrote:
I went ahead and ordered some of the trim from nlavw. Let's see how it compares.

Did you ever find out how it compares?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement westy T molding Reply with quote

... lotta' valuable info here. Thanks...
When I cut my cabinet down. So, I could eliminate the blind spot and get full use of the window, I fashioned all pieces from old material, I've been saving, over the years

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement westy T molding Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Juan wrote:

I contacted nlavw and theirs is 18mm wide and comes in white or gray
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Juan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement westy T molding Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
nlorntson wrote:
Juan wrote:

I contacted nlavw and theirs is 18mm wide and comes in white or gray

Purchased both the white and the gray from them. Having all three options (putty gray from tmolding.com, white and gray from nlavw) I'll say none of them perfectly matches the original. The closest one, at least to my eyes, is the putty gray from tmolding.com. The gray from nlavw is close but a different close, I think it matches more an aged molding. Either of these though is closer than the white, which I think is just too white though might look nicer. But I simply bought more of the gray so I'm going with that.

I've used the gray nlavw molding for the insides of the cabinet doors. For the tables I stuck with the gray from tmolding.com. I did try the gray nlavw molding on the tables but it was pretty much the same in terms of width and how much it stuck out from the table edge. With that being the same, I chose to go with tmolding putty gray which I had already used on my door folding table, and found easier to install anyway.

I'll try to snap some photos of all four molding (original + 3 options) for everyone to compare.
1969 BMW 2002
1959 Ford F100
Juan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement westy T molding Reply with quote

Here you go. Side-by-side pics.

Left to Right:
Original - Putty gray (tmolding.com) - nlavw gray - nlavw white.

Original (left) and Putty gray (tmolding.com)

Original (left) and nlavw gray

Original (left) and nlavw white

Top to bottom:
Original
Putty Gray (tmolding.com)
nlavw gray
nlavw white

1969 BMW 2002
1959 Ford F100
Rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement westy T molding Reply with quote

fyi - it's standard practice in the cabinet making world to install t-molding like this then take a wide chisel and run it along the surface of the table, trimming the t-molding off perfectly flush. I used this t-molding on my 67 westy and did just that. Works perfect!
lushtech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement westy T molding Reply with quote

https://www.t-molding.com/quad-edge-trimmer.html

They make a trimmer for T-molding. As Rick (above) stated standard practice is to get slightly oversized T-molding and "trim" to fit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: