Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things to Do in Denver when You're Slow
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Things to Do in Denver when You're Slow Reply with quote

Dear friends of the High Altitude Variety, those of you who have not yet entered Cryogenic Suspension during the current cold snap!

I received this note from a fellow Sambanista whom I shall quote, but leave anonymous:

Quote:
I just realized you're in the Denver area. My Daughter lives in Aurora now and my wife and I are there every couple of months to visit. I was wondering what you might suggest as places to go if I'd like to browse for vanagon parts, and or stuff to do.

And I thought I'd let you all chime in...

I would take my Van to Blazer Automotive and have Larry, Jim and all the Gang go over it with a fine toothed comb...

I would eat a fine meal, then go to Casa Bonita for a long walk through one of the largest and weirdest restaurants in the world. I would eat there lightly.

I would go to Cafe Berlin for wonderful food and Paulaner Optimator, and I would not drive.

I might make a pilgrimage to Painter's Grinding, they are apparently Vanagon-friendly, again.

I would monitor the thread here if there are any Vanagons in the local yards...

It would be worth my while to zip up to Fort Collins on I-25 to visit the Brothers LaBate and have them install some of their wonderful products...

What would others do?

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drive thru Tattered Cover and see how many books you can finish before the exit
outdoornate65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denver and the surrounding area is the "Napa Valley" of beer.

So many great breweries to visit during these pesky cold spells.

Buy a copy of the book Mountain Brew and get busy.
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a leisurely drive to Boulder and partake of some excellent grub at one of their fine cafes….

Take the train to Winter Park…

Drive to Vail…ski Simba for a couple of days..

Soak in the disgusting Sulphur Baths…stinky but everyone should try it once…

Hit the coffeehouses around the College, attempt to engage in stimulating conversation or take in some acoustical jams or readings…

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yondermtn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before or after 1/1/14? Wink
Nimbus'87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Winner!!! Reply with quote

/\ /\ Ding! Ding! Ding! /\ /\ Winner! Cool
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yondermtn wrote:
Before or after 1/1/14? Wink

Too funny!

To add to the list, here's some basic touristy stuff:

You could hit the Coors Brewery tour--whether you like Coors or not, it's interesting to see how it's mass-brewed. Plus, Golden is a cool little town to check out and has a couple of good craft breweries. While up that way, head to Lookout Mountain for a view of the city and also see Buffalo Bill's grave.

Take in an Avalanche or Denver University hockey game. (Being from Louisiana, I've had a somewhat bewildered fascination with live hockey since I moved here many years ago.)

Go to Red Rocks, whether there's a show or not. It's also a state park with several hiking trails, and the amphitheater is really cool whether it's empty or full. You could also take your guitars, as my former bandmate and I did, and play a couple of songs on stage for the healthy folks who run the stairs and the smattering of tourists who are always around. Then you can tell all of your friends that you played Red Rocks.

Did I mention that I played Red Rocks?

I'd avoid the 16th St. Mall. I work down here and it's mostly meth zombies, panhandlers, office workers, and tourist traps. Good food, though. Denver is good for steaks, diners, Mexican food primarily.

Buckhorn Exchange is a cool restaurant to check out for local history's sake. It's in a formerly bad/rapidly-gentrifying neighborhood in Denver and has been around since the late 1800's.

If your anonymous friend is fortunate, he'll be in town the next time we have a Vanagon get-together!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
onwardtothestars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Things to Do in Denver when You're Slow Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
I would go to Cafe Berlin for wonderful food and Paulaner Optimator, and I would not drive...

What would others do?

Best!

I have not been there in a long time. What a treat it would be
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wanted to take my van out onto Georgetown Lake. Just 45min up the hill. Not sure if your friend has a syncro or not, but I think it is required for this group.
http://ourgangiceracing.com/

-d
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Hmmm... That COULD be Fun... Not the combustion. Reply with quote

I can remember when Pot Metal was a garbage alloy far too many things were made of, including in our vans... Now it's a lifestyle...

Shocked

I don't even smoke hams. The idea, though, of we Vanagonauts and friends having dinner at Cafe Berlin or some other German restaurant, in Spring, or so, when we could drive our vans thither... appeals.

Here's another one... Sneak into the Tesla show room at the Park Meadows Mall and leave a few sticks of incense burning in hidden places...

Twisted Evil

Best!

<writing from what was 'Colorful Colorado' and is now... 'The Reefer State.'>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Colorado Yeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Definitely tour the Coors brewery. Beautiful location and the best domestic lager in the U.S.
2. Head south and check out "The Fort" restaurant in Morrison.
3. Go to Red Rocks outside of Morrison and catch the Allman Brothers if you can .....best concert that I have ever attended.
4. If it's the summer, head north towards Boulder and hit the historic Eldorado Springs pool. Been there since 1905.
5. If it's winter, head west in the mountains go skiing then then hit the Glenwood Hot Springs.
6. If you don't mind a road trip, go to Steamboat Springs, drive your van up a tough 2-whel drive road to to Strawberry Park hot springs and stay a night in the sheep herder's wagon right next to the springs. Cheap, beautiful and fun. Clothing optional after dark.
Rodknock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#6 above, that is not a 2wd road in winter, the tow truck guy up there is a millionaire
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
jerrydog411
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the Broncos' game tomorrow Smile
joseph928
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Denver Reply with quote

Blue Bay Bus Beau Jo's pizza in Denver or better yet go to Bo Jo's in Idaho Springs, cool little town about 30 miles west of Denver. Then come back through Central City nice drive in a Vanagon. Take the old Oh My God road " Virginia Canyon" from Idaho Springs to Central City not the new HWY, what a blast and can do in 2 WD no problem. Then stop in Golden and go to Coors and have a free beer. Then Red Rocks on your way back home. Very Happy
1987 syncro westy tin top sun roof , GW2.3, rear locker, decoupler, Gary Lee tire rack & winch mount, lift, south african grill, big brakes , rhein alloy ,15 BFG AT, Fiamma 10 foot awning ,140 watt rear 85 watt front solar , mppt, truckfridge, automatic fire extinguishing system, tencent oil cooler, And a RMW SS exhaust! - 1971 bug convertible 1776 engine- 2010 Subaru turbo - 1993 Toyota 4x4 truck - 1999 Harley 95 CI, big bore, Andrews cams . Also 80-84- vans. Stock 65 sunroof bug.

Last edited by joseph928 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
Colorado Yeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Rodknock's comment on the Strawberry Park road (county road 36), he does have a good point.; it's a dicey road. I used to be a tow truck driver in Steamboat., not a millionaire yet. Some make it, some don't......your choice whether you try or not.
maryloucb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thought of driving my van up I70 through the Eisenhower tunnel (either direction) gives me nightmares even in the summer Shocked But I live on the Western Slope and I70 kind of freaks me out in any vehicle. I guess I'm a wuss Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: