Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

Morning fellow samba folks.

Given the age of my current tires it is a good time to start thinking about a new set of shoes for Sparkles. Granted I am heading to Norway soon and a winter biased tire might be more applicable to my driving, but these seem to be a great new offering from Nokian. Does anyone have any inputs or thoughts on these?

http://www.nokiantires.com/tyre?id=132374&group=2.01&name=Nokian%20Rotiiva AT

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's too bad that there's no size suitable for 2wd folks.
Looks like a great tire.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
DAV!D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a nice tire. You might also want to check out the Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 I bought a set for my syncro and they seem to be very well made tires.
raoul mitgong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked at them as an option, proper load, non directional, burly look. But they didn't come in a size suitable for me with stock 2.1 with 16" wheels on my 86 Syncro tintop. Went with 205/65r16D WRC vans. If you have an engine conversion or avoid the mountains, looks good.
-d
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run 'em and love em. 215/70R16 on CLKs.

Check my gallery.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They are very quiet compared to BFG ATs.
They absolutely kill the BFG on packed snow and ice.
They go down the road smoother with less vibes.

Steve
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
I run 'em and love em. 215/70R16 on CLKs.

Good to hear. Their website shows the smallest 16" as 225/75.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
ThorAlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you taking the van to Norway? Be aware that those tires are not considered a winter tire over here, maybe all-season... Depending on were and when they could be fine, or they could be crap. Very few people drive all-season's here, pretty much everyone has two sets of tires, one for summer and one for winter. Also keep in mind that rubber gets stiffer when cold, "nordic" winter tires have special compounds to keep them softer in colder temperatures. It might not sound like much but you really feel the difference.

Oh, and if you happen by Steinkjer coffee's on me!

Ex-vans:
1990 Caravelle coach 1.6TD
1986 Transporter Double cab syncro 2.1 112hp

"I'm wrong so often... It's great!" - Adam Savage
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThorAlex wrote:
Are you taking the van to Norway? Be aware that those tires are not considered a winter tire over here, maybe all-season...

On the website - it lists it as winter wire, or are you saying that in Norway, it is definitely not considering a winter tire?

PS - I would love to get to Norway after seeing pictures in National Geographic I was looking at while at the gym today.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
vweggie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased these tires for my 4runner a month ago and so far haven't had them offroad. They have great traction in rain and snow and have a quiet ride. They are load range E so the sidewalls are stiff and the ride is a bit bumpy but they do ride better than the load range C Dunlops they replaced.
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThorAlex, thanks for the input. Yes I am taking the van with me to Norway and thought that I would go for a more winter biased tire. But it sounds like I will need a full studded winter tire like a Hakkapeliitta, or is there something better for Norway? I am planning on heading North and inland during the winter searching for skiing! So COLD-ICE-SNOW, what is the best tire?

Steinkjer looks like it is up near where I'll be searching for some adventure. I'll be sure to drop by and share some coffee!
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go.

https://www.tiresbyweb.com/p-9419-nokian-rotiiva-at-tires.aspx

They also cost 200 bucks less for a set than the same size BFG AT for a better tire.
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rotivaa is a winter-focused A/T. I imagine the durometer is similar to the WR-C Van or the older CS.

Everything in tires is a compromise. I imgaine this one attempts to provide some offroad traction and the best possible winter use that can be had while still maintaining year-round usability.

FYI, I think studs are illegal in Norway.
Yukon Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flomulgator wrote:
FYI, I think studs are illegal in Norway.

Studded tires are definitely allowed in Norway and very popular. The only restriction is in the summer and for a couple cities you have to pay a fee to drive in the city centre. When I lived in Norway, Sweden and Finland in the Arctic I would not have driven in the winter without them. Heck usually don't drive without them over here. Except this winter running Hakkapeliitta C Van tires year round (non studded) and have not got around to getting another set studded.

Have the studded Hakkapeliitta 7 on my wife's Subaru Outback and they are a blast.

Have a great time over there, I really enjoyed it!

This thread on a road trip in Norway has some great info you might be interested in:http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=425145&highlight=
1987 1.6 TD (JX) 1.9 TD (AAZ) Syncro Transporter Tintop with front and back lockers - Escorial Green. Got a North American High Top buried in snow waiting for a spring, summer when-oh-when-lord install.
ThorAlex
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, i am saying the rotiiva (and any other AT) is generally not considered a winter tire. That said, they are legal, and will work. On the main roads you should be fine, but depending on were you are and the weather you might see ice, hard packed snow or even a mix with fresh snow on top, and if temperatures get low anything but a real Nordic type winter tire will suck. By low, I'm talking -20C being common up north, and some areas sees down to -40C on a fairly regular basis...

If you have experience with winter driving and drive carefully you could be fine. But drive slow, moose tend to pop out of nowhere and reindeer have a thing for waiting till you get close and cross right in front of you. I would consider the rotiiva for my van if they had a suitable size, for my area and driving they would be fine. If i lived further north i would not consider them....

Nokian is generally considered among the best for winter tires, any of their top winter tires would be fine. Other premium makes also have good options, but you rarely see even midrange tires up here, much less cheep makes. Studs or not is mostely personal preferance, in comparison tests there is very little difference.

That said, i drive on studless toyo's due to a puncture and lack of money at the time, and they work fine most of the time if driven carefully. Also keep in mind i have little personal experiance with the aforementioned tires... Take my .2c as you wish Smile

Now, a few general tips for an american driving in norway:
-Wach your van's waight, if you get checked and found to be heavier than you are supposed to you will not be allowed to continue before the excess is removed. Dunno if it sais in your registration documents over there, vanagons in Norway usually have 2500kg max total waight.
-There might be issues with engine conversions, big tires and other mods, as long as you can document that it's legal were your van is registered i think you should be fine, but don't take it for granted.
-Daytime running lights (low beams in your case) are mandatory at all times when moving, fog lights can be used instead during the day but not at night and never both at the same time. Lot's of norwegians don't know that rule (or think they it looks cool using both) so don't do as them.
-Don't expect too much attention to your vanagon, it's just another old van over here Razz
-Beware of wildlife, there is a lot of it.
Watch out for speed cameras! They are marked in advance with a sign, but they can be any-ware in a certain range after the sign. There are also a few that measure average speed between two cameras, those can make anyone nervous...
-Keep basic emergency stuff in your van, if you have trouble the tow truck could be hours away, and if it's cold it could get unpleasant fast. I recommend chains (not cables), a shovel, tow rope, warm clothing, can of fuel, jumper cables, flashlight and spare batteries. That should be the most important.
-Reflective vest is mandatory and hase to we within reach of drivers seat so it can be put one before getting out in an emergency.

That's what i can think of right now, i may sound a bit negative but it's not ment that way.

I'll get back with more later, now i have to go fix my CV that suddenly decided to fall off last night Shocked Good luck with preparations!

And feel free to cantact me if you need any advice, travel tips or whatever else Smile

Ex-vans:
1990 Caravelle coach 1.6TD
1986 Transporter Double cab syncro 2.1 112hp

"I'm wrong so often... It's great!" - Adam Savage
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThorAlex wrote:
Yes, i am saying the rotiiva (and any other AT) is generally not considered a winter tire. That said, they are legal, and will work.

Thanks for clearing that up!
ThorAlex wrote:

Nokian is generally considered among the best for winter tires, any of their top winter tires would be fine. Other premium makes also have good options, but you rarely see even midrange tires up here, much less cheep makes. Studs or not is mostely personal preferance, in comparison tests there is very little difference.

I had Nolian tires way back, and they were certainly very, very good. Running Michelin X-ice-2 on my car now. Good on ice and packed snow, not as good in deep snow or slush.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
tschroeder0
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

studs rule, IMO no comparison to unstudded winter tires, on ice you will still g
feel safe, especially when on a grade having to stop and start.
furrylittleotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThorAlex wrote:

Now, a few general tips for an american driving in norway:

Smile

In addition:

beware anytime you see a guy flag you into a parking lot with a small red round sign. That is a random surprise inspection. They will flag anyone down at any time and inspect whatever amuses them at the moment.

Neil2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThorAlex, thanks for the insights! It seems that my best course of action will be to select a set of tires for winter driving once I am over in Norway.

Good point on the wildlife, I grew up driving in Idaho where elk and deer make it especially important to have bright headlights and a light foot. That is why I have worked on upgrading the headlights and brakes on Sparkles. Good tires and a sensible driving approach help as well Wink

When driving or backcountry skiing I always pack with the mindset "I might have to spend a few nights out in the snow, what will I need?"

With regard to engine swaps, I am going to be installing a tencent 2.2 WBX engine next month. My van will still be registered in the U.S. as I will be in Norway on a military exchange program. Other than the stainless exhaust system the powerplant will look factory. Do you think this will cause issue?

I think I will pick up some Nokian Rotivaa tires for 3 season driving as my tires will need to be replaced soon. I will probably just get winter tires when I get over there.
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThorAlex,

Snow and ice tend to become higher traction at lower temperatures, as the percentage of available liquid water falls and the compressional heat required to make liquid water rises. This can be seen in tire traction, but also in things like ski glide. As anecdotal evidence, here is one of many hilarious videos from my area of the effects of near 0 C snow/ice conditions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyfjZlOSq2A

I wonder if the affects you observe in Norway are due to greater ice formation at the lower temperatures? When I have driven at -20 C I have noticed that large ice sheets are sometimes more likely to form because the snow cover is more persistent and has longer to pack down to ice. -20 C ice may be higher traction than 0 C ice but ice is always worse than snow. Also, salt use can push the effective wet temperature down considerably.

Also, while Norway sounds like a beautiful country to drive in these posts make it appear like a bureaucratic nightmare where the goal is more to make jobs than to ensure safety.
Buss Marius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4dqGpfFF3M Here is what you may expect when going to skiresorts in Norway. in January and February the roads can be coverd with snow and ice many weeks after last snowfall and geting upp isn't allways the problem. It is to stop going down or when some thing hapends in front of you on the road. (i gues the video is made by a polish truck driver)

I just bought a set of winter tyres for my Eurovan 195/70 R15C with alu rims and bolts i payed 6800nkr on the car. The tyres are not the best tyres i have seen, but they are OK. I have not bought studed tyres ever. When the studs are gone the tyre is not wery good, and as most research by the tyre industry sem to be on non-studed tyres, non-studed (piggfrie)they are geting bether and bether. As you will be living in Oslo i recomend piggfritt.
You may have 4 original 14`steel rims from me if you want. They are not wery pretty, but they fitt. Personaly i would try to source a set of 15`to have Winter tyres on. It looks better and 15`tyres are not so expensive as 14`
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: