Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested by the Rotiiva for our van and it seems depending which country's website you are looking, it is often in the summer section and called a summer tires (mainly in Europe) with no mention at all of snow or even the "severe service symbol " on it.....

We got a week between -30C and -20C recently, not sure how it will handle that....

We currently run winter tires and of course summers when the weather get better but I would like to go with 1 set only.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
supa_fox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a set of these on our old Delica, winter in Canada can be a bit brutal at times, and when things got severe I found myself missing my hakkas.
Good for mild conditions, good for summer, lacking when you need them most
supa_fox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a set of these on our old Delica, winter in Canada can be a bit brutal at times, and when things got severe I found myself missing my hakkas.
bluefirefly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supa_fox wrote:

This is what I though..... thanks for the comment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supa_fox wrote:

How about for off-pavement (non-winter) use - i.e on/off road tire? Curious how they would compare to BFG AT, Firestone Destination AT, etc.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had dedicated snow tires. The Rotiiva is the best tire I've ever used in the snow. Complete confidence on icy sharp corners. Terrific braking. I can't imagine these tires with studs...
supa_fox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were great on washed out gravel roads, that was the heaviest use they got
Even in 4x4 I felt unstable with snow on the road, at highway speed. Around town was great, they dug in well, and stopped in short order. Ice wasn't terrible, but could have been better. They were good, don't get me wrong, the Hakkas were great though!
If you want one tire to do everything, its a good bet... I am a strong proponent for winters, the burlier the better. I see way to many MVAs in my line of work, exponentially so in the winter.
I would say they lacked mainly at speed on sketchy roads, could be lower pressure would have helped.
They did look pretty bad ass, but murdered the gas mileage
SCP_Austin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How bad do these affect mpg? They look awesome...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had a syncro . . .

http://www.maxxis.com/CmsPage.aspx?contentpageid=353
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
supa_fox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ute wrote:
How bad do these affect mpg? They look awesome...

They dropped the mileage by about 20%, I would be used to getting 500km on a tank, dropped to just under 400km after. I did go bigger and wider as well though...
Another thought, they were way, way, louder than the normal road tires I had on it before
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from heavy 14" wheels and 25.5" BFG AT, to light weight 16" wheels and 28" Rotiiva. I can coast further and use less throttle going down the road. I attribute this to fresh tread, and the lower rolling resistance of the Nokian tread compared to the BFG. My miles per gallon are unchanged after correcting the odometer for the new tall tire size.
msewalson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just mounted a set of Rotiivas onto my Syncro. Using the 215/70R16 size and will provide feedback once I have a few miles on them. Interested to see how well they perform in the snow since they have mixed reviews.

Their was some discussion about these wheel over on the CLK thread, http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...;start=640 , but asking to keep that thread dedicated to CLK's and continue to use this one for discussing the Nokian Rotiiva tires.

Matt
msewalson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:

Cue the Hot Air Guy, SliderMon:

that depends if they are Standard Load 4 ply passenger tires, then yes, they are under spec. But, I cant find any info on that tire size, are you sure you typed it right?

What is the max load and max psi printed on the sidewall, how much does your van weigh, and what air pressure do you use with those tires? Give the Facts Man! Smile

this is the only link I find, and the 215x70x16 is not even an XL rated tire.
http://simpletire.com/nokian-rotiiva-at-tires
"Load Range: SL (4 Ply)"

So yes, it is under spec for a vanagon. Even though Yes, I have also survived using General Grabbers that were under spec.

And yes, you can run under rated tires and survive, but, why?Smile Is it because you run a very light unloaded tin top?

I'll play along.

Facts:
Here's a link to Nokian web site, http://www.nokiantires.com/summer-tires/nokian-rotiiva-at/ , click on the list all sizes to get specs.
Size- 215/70R16
Max PSI- 47
Van Weight- 4300 lbs.
Front PSI- 38
Rear PSI- 40

I will be marking the tread and driving on them for a bit to see how it wears and will adjust my pressure as needed.

Will typing this response and attaching the link to Nokians web site I noticed that they list a 215/65R16 XL tire but I had never seen that listed on their website until today. In fact while shopping for tires I never seen that size listed. I think most that are running 215/70R16 have found that there is a limited amount of tires in this selection with the XL rating. BFG does make one but I would compare them to the BNSF train company, Big Noisy Slow F*CKS. Now granted Nokian makes some van tires with higher load ratings but all of them are directional tires which means a 6 tire rotation if you have a $yncro.
Ultimately it would have been nice to get a 215/70R16 XL tire but I'm completely fine with my selection and will be able to sleep comfortably at night with my top popped.

Matt
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

msewalson wrote:
will provide feedback once I have a few miles on them. Interested to see how well they perform in the snow since they have mixed reviews. Matt

I don't have enough miles on mine to provide a decent review either.

But steller reviews on the Tires-easy site. Excellent marks in snow. Wet seemed to be the most 4s. Mostly all 5 stars and would buy agains. Many many reviews (I didn't read them all) but the written reviews seem to contradict everything supa fox said. Just saying.

http://www.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/rtest.pl?rt_rubr...M&pg=2

Tires by Web lists all 3 sizes, 27", 27.85", 28.4" (215/65-16 XL, 215/70-16, 225/70-16XL). Tires Easy doesn't list the 27". That size is the most expensive at $163 shipped, but only $20 or so more than the other two. Not out of line for a quality 16" tire IMO.
http://www.tiresbyweb.com/p-11098-nokian-rotiiva-at-tires.aspx
Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been researching the Wildcountry XTX Sport. Actually manufactured by Cooper tire I believe.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm on the fence between these and the Rotiiva, both in a 215/70/16. I've heard that the Rotiiva is 'soft' in comparison, but who knows what that means or if it's true.

They 'look' quite similar

"Blood stains, speed kills - Fast cars, cheap thrills - Rich girls, fine wine - I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I've lost my mind"
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any rotiiva updates out there? Considering for as 4-season tire to replace my General grabber A/T.
msewalson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No winter miles yet but so far so good. They are great on the highway and held their own while off roading in Moab.

BFG does have a new AT tire which is worth checking out.

Matt
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

Winter updates! Wink

I've had these tires in service for two years here in Norway, and put them through the paces.

An anecdote. Last weekend I headed up north on a ski trip with a buddy. -24 C temps, "warming" up to -15 C. The roads were plowed, but a mixture of solid ice and packed snow. I would describe the roads as Idaho highways... Turny, with a speed of about 50mph ( they run slower speed limits in Norway... Lower traffic deaths) anyway, the Rotiivas performed great, I was impressed with their cold weather grip and a few brake tests were very positive for a non-studded tire.

I do carry cables for drift busting mayhem, or mandatory convoy driving over the mountains of the authorities call for it.

I really recommend these tires for, a tough, non-directional, high load, responsible (read up on Nokian), tire for our vans.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

goskiracer wrote:
Winter updates! Wink

I've had these tires in service for two years here in Norway, and put them through the paces.

An anecdote. Last weekend I headed up north on a ski trip with a buddy. -24 C temps, "warming" up to -15 C. The roads were plowed, but a mixture of solid ice and packed snow. I would describe the roads as Idaho highways... Turny, with a speed of about 50mph ( they run slower speed limits in Norway... Lower traffic deaths) anyway, the Rotiivas performed great, I was impressed with their cold weather grip and a few brake tests were very positive for a non-studded tire.

I do carry cables for drift busting mayhem, or mandatory convoy driving over the mountains of the authorities call for it.

I really recommend these tires for, a tough, non-directional, high load, responsible (read up on Nokian), tire for our vans.

Did you go skiing at Trysil? I spent a week snowboarding there back in 2011...

Good to hear the Rotiiva works well on a Vanagon, my buddy had some on a Sprinter van and they were quite squirmy at highway speeds, traction was good, but the tread blocks seemed to have a lot of flex, more air pressure helped a bit, but on the heavier Sprinter I didn't like the Rotiiva all that much.

I have some Hakka C3's on my sprinter right now and they are great (winter specific), I also had some Hakka CS's (4 season) on my Vanagon westy and loved them, and also had some WRC cargo's (4 season) on my sprinter which were nice as well.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

Here is my review after 3500 miles. They are good in the snow, quiet on the road and seem to wear about typical for Colorado roads and gravel.

The best comparison I can make to another well known tire is the Yolo Geolander. Those were quiet and good on snowy roads. The tread on the Geolander is a bit more compact and maybe not quite as deep, so off road I think the Rotiiva has a little better grip. They come in standard or XL load rating depending on size and have reasonably strong sidewalls, comparable to the Geolander 15" I had. I can feel a little bit of sway in the high winds we get, but nothing to complain about.

I bought them hoping they would be awesome in the snow and decent off road and quiet on road. They met my goals except they are not really awesome in the snow, just good.

To compare them to another tire people are familiar with, the BFG AT. They are not as stiff, are smoother and quieter on most roads. Highway cracks were more discernable with the Nokian than the C load BFG 215/75-15 (about the same as the D load BFG). I noticed that initially and aired them down a bit on roads and they were nice and comfortable.

Off road they are not as good as the BFG due to the larger tread blocks on the BFG. I have the new KO2s now and I got the Nokians because the old KO was crappy on hard packed snow. The new KO2 is much better in that stuff, and better than the Rotiiva in all kinds of snow from what I can tell so far.

I would give them a B+ or A- overall. I drove on them for 3,500 miles and just switched to a smaller tire. They are listed on Fort Collins CL if anyone local wants a set of 4 or 5. $75/ea. 225/70r16.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: