Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Farfrumwork
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

Good review Dave.

I don't have the Rotiiva's, but I thought I'd leave a quick note on the Wildcountry XTX Sport that I posted above, which I have had for 3-4000mi now.

The Wildcountry's are too soft for a Westy (IMO). They ride well in a straight line, sans wind, and are great off road due to their compliance, but are scary in high winds. They are an SL rated tire though, so I guess it's not too much of a surprise.

They are a good snow tire- better than the General Grabbers I had previously.

My old Grabbers (27" on 14" wheels) were MUCH more stable, even though they had taller sidewalls.

I'll most likely be selling them (215/70/16) and moving to the C-load rated KO2 in the same 215/70/16 before spring. The Wildcountry's would be good for a Subaru Outback or something lighter and with a lower Cg. I'll shoot for $75/ea like Dave (1/2 of retail pricing).... It was worth a try, they would have been great if they were a XL load rated.

"Blood stains, speed kills - Fast cars, cheap thrills - Rich girls, fine wine - I've lost my sense, I've lost control, I've lost my mind"
goskiracer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

jackbombay, I haven't been to Trysil yet. I've been up in Finnmark a few times and points west and north of Oslo. Heading up to Sunndalsøra this weekend Very Happy

I would agree that these tires are NOT a hakka and that they are an A- when compared in the severe winter class. But, as far as all season tires go... these are really quite good for pounding out highway miles, some offroading, and winter weather driving.

Cables are for mud bogging and drift busting Twisted Evil
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

goskiracer wrote:
Heading up to Sunndalsøra this weekend Very Happy

Sunndalsøra was planned for our second week, but they didn't have enough snow to open, so we went to Voss instead and lucked into some pretty good snow there!

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
Vanhalla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

Any follow up reviews on the Nokian Rotiiva AT. I'm seriously thinking about these as opposed to going with the much heavier KO2.
I'll be using mostly on Oregon fire roads, sandy beaches and occasionally through some pretty rough sharp rocky trails.
Any insight to their off road capabilities would be great, most seem to concentrate on their on road and snow abilities which appear to be quite good.
Thanks

https://www.instagram.com/bjornthebus/

Parts wanted/needed - A high top. CLK wheels. A weekender rear cabinet and head banger.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

I saw some negative comments about them, but it was the summer Rotiva being used in winter. So that's a given error!
Good looking tread on them.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

The Nokia website is garbage for info. Horrendous to use.
You have to download the brochure to see the tires sizes.
Vanhalla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

I thought the Rotiiva is an All Season, All Weather tire. Perhaps if compared to a snow tire it won't fare well.

https://www.instagram.com/bjornthebus/

Parts wanted/needed - A high top. CLK wheels. A weekender rear cabinet and head banger.
fuscavw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

Hey, Steve M. or Steve Arndt, I'm about to order a set of the Rotiiva 215 70 16 and want to make sure I'm getting the same ones you have. Am I correct that these are not the XL but would be just fine running on my syncro westy? Here's the link to the ones I'm thinking about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172301604862?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

I use a 215/65/r16 rotiiva on a heavy syncro westy, Only 1k miles so far but I am happy with them in terms of noise and on road performance (no meaningful offroad or snow experience yet)
fuscavw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
I use a 215/65/r16 rotiiva on a heavy syncro westy, Only 1k miles so far but I am happy with them in terms of noise and on road performance (no meaningful offroad or snow experience yet)

Thanks! I'm putting the 215 70 16s on CLK wheels on my stock height syncro westy. I can't anticipate I'll have any rubbing issues.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

fuscavw wrote:
Hey, Steve M. or Steve Arndt, I'm about to order a set of the Rotiiva 215 70 16 and want to make sure I'm getting the same ones you have. Am I correct that these are not the XL but would be just fine running on my syncro westy? Here's the link to the ones I'm thinking about.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172301604862?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Good timing on your question as I just jumped on the site for the 1st time in weeks. I'm over in Thailand right now.
I took a look at that ebay page and it definitely has some photo-trickery going on either intentionally or un-intentionally making the tires look fatter that I think they normally are. The one image that is accurate is #4 from the left.
The ones I bought through SimpleTire.com as follows:

Nokian Rotiiva AT Plus LT225/75R-16
Quantity: 5
Price: $579.95
Shipping Total: $81.54
Total: $661.49

They were in my hands 3 days after the order was placed with normal shipping.
They are the "AT PLus"

The size you have linked to are going to be 27.9" diameter.
Mine are 29.3" dia.
My normal 2.1 has no problem driving them, but I have 5.83 R&P ratio. This diameter and R&P ratio will give me 70mph @ 4000rpm and according to the GPS Speedometer that is what I was getting.
If you have the standard 4.86 ratio the chart says you will be getting 80.37mph @ 4000rpm.
If you went with the same 29.3" you would only gain 4-1/2 mph @ 4000mph and I do not think it would be worth it because it's a bit more mass in the tires for the engine to get and keep rolling.
Your 27.9 size weighs 26.4 lbs, where my 29.3 weighs 34.4 lbs.
That is 8 lbs more weight times 4 tires, but I have the different R&P ratio to roll them. Another thing to consider for my tire dia. is that I have the 16" trailing arm so I can have a larger dia. tire where you may have problems id you went to a larger dia. You might want to research and check if snow chains will not hit the trailing arm or go with a snow cable vs. the old snow chains if your in snow country!
Ask around the forum about the 27.3" on 15" trailing arms.

So these may be better if you have the standard American Gear ratio. (4.83 I think it is.)

The tire width is 8.7" for the ones you want.
They do not make the AT Plus in your size. The closest dia. is the 29.3" that I have in my size.

Now I do not have a lot of miles on mine, I'd be lucky to say a thousand, but probably closer to 500 miles.
So I can't give you an "experienced" view of them.
What I do know is that they are not rubbing like the Hankook Dynapro MT's at 31" dia that the PO had on there so I am happy with them!

Post a picture of them mounted on yours!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Skidub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

Bumping 'fuscavw's' post...I too found some CLK's and I am looking to fit them with the Rotiiva 215/70/r16 on my tin top Syncro. Any other performance feedback or confirmation that the 100T load rating is suitable would be much appreciated.

fuscavw, did you order your set? Like 'em?
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

Any feedback from people using this tire?

I am thinking of 215/65R16 102T XL (up to 190 km/h, max load 850 kg)
on 16" rims, of course.

Mainly street driving, some added traction on occasional dirt roads. Don't envision any snow driving, so that's a minor concern.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
Any feedback from people using this tire?

I am thinking of 215/65R16 102T XL (up to 190 km/h, max load 850 kg)
on 16" rims, of course.

Mainly street driving, some added traction on occasional dirt roads. Don't envision any snow driving, so that's a minor concern.

I've been actively driving mine since the end of Sept. Very happy with them on the street. Not feeling any sway from weak sidewalls. Unfortunately the only off road I've been doing is dirt roads with a lot of washboarding and they handle that fine at 30-40mph. Road noise is very acceptable on pavement

Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

I have 16K miles on my Rotiivas. They are below 60% now. Worthless on snow and ice at this point. I rotated them three times in that period. My syncro seems to eat tires for lunch. 90% in town driving is hard on them I guess. That was with a 5 tire rotation for most of that 16k miles too. Not sure what tires I will go with next. Maybe 216/65 BFG.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
I have 16K miles on my Rotiivas. They are below 60% now. Worthless on snow and ice at this point. I rotated them three times in that period. My syncro seems to eat tires for lunch. 90% in town driving is hard on them I guess. That was with a 5 tire rotation for most of that 16k miles too. Not sure what tires I will go with next. Maybe 216/65 BFG.

i have a friend who also put them on and I recently caught up with him a few months ago after a year and the Rotiiva's he had where basically worn out. he was the whole time down in the Florida heat so that's what he attributed it to.
So am I...not wanting to hear you also lost significant thread!

vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

Hmmm the tread wear comments on Nokian's site wear great or terrible, with one in between. So it's hard to tell what to expect, now.

Thanks for the feedback.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
Hmmm the tread wear comments on Nokian's site wear great or terrible, with one in between. So it's hard to tell what to expect, now.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, looking at those reviews as well and wanting to see more reviews that are not on Nokians website!

RGS Paul
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

We've been running them the last two years on our Syncro in a 215/65-R16 size. Initially I special ordered them through Van-Cafe, now stock items from them. We have used them everywhere in the Southwest in all seasons from the snowy mountains of Utah and Colorado to Death Valley. Absolutely love them. The one test they still have to pass is deep snow, we have never had a reasonable foot or so to drive through in the last two years.

We like them so much we are planning to get another pair on my wife's Jeep.

Paul
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: New Nokian Rotiiva AT winter offroad tire Reply with quote

Should I pursue the warranty they have? They have a 60,000 mile warranty.

I love how quiet they are, the stability compared to BFG AT, and the packed snow and ice performance also compared to BFG.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: